Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (James_G @ Jun 4 2012, 09:11 PM)
Thanks to the guy who provided the link for this album (obligatory note: of course I'm paying for the CD too!).

My overall impression: it's vastly better than the last three albums, and furthermore unlike every other Rush album since Power Windows, there are no genuinely poor, half-hearted songs on Clockwork Angels. There is no tail end of mediocrity, no shortage of ideas and energy, no...Dog Years.

It's debatable whether the stronger songs on the new album are better than (or in particular, as well-formed as) the best songs from other albums in this period: Mission, The Pass, Ghost Rider et cetera. Debatable...after a few listens, I would say that The Anarchist, Clockwork Angels and The Garden in particular are strong candidates for best Rush song since Power Windows. The album is very dense with ideas and rhythms (this is why some of the samples gave a poor impression of the music - most of these songs are based at heart around sustained rhythmic motion). If anything is lacking over the album as a whole, it's the careful arrangement of these ideas into elegantly formed songs ("The Garden" being a notable exception) but the music is all there.

The character of thrusting energy exhibited by several of the songs on Clockwork Angels is similar to that of songs like "Ceiling Unlimited" from Vapor Trails, only the musical ideas, chord progressions, vocal melodies, hooks etc. herein are much better. Note that most of the songs take multiple listens to absorb fully - it's also well worth listening to this superbly-produced album with headphones.

Track-by-track:

Caravan: This is very slightly improved, with some added phaser effects being the most significant change.

BU2B: The new introduction is a little tacked-on but makes the start of the piece less jarring - another slight improvement to an already good song.

Clockwork Angels: I'm really surprised that some people don't like this one, because it's the proggiest cut and a highlight of the album. The verse sections feature a bass rhythm and sustained chords reminiscent of the bridge from Digital Man, and these are interchanged with driving riffs a la Double Agent. Something that stands out in this piece and others on Clockwork Angels is that Alex's solo is actually given space and prominence within the structure of the song, rather than being perfunctory and stuffed in the background. This is a complicated song with a lot of different sections, but it's no different to (say) Natural Science in that respect; there's a current of energy running through it that holds it together.

The Anarchist: Neil's switches between a loose African drumming style and his usual rock style to great effect in this cut. Again, there's a lot of different ideas in this song apart from the opening riff; in particular, there's a recurring motif that sounds just like something from Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures, and it's undergirded by a warm analogue-sounding synth wash to boot. It reminds me in particular of Jacob's Ladder. Really melodic vocal lines with flowing lyrics, and some Eastern-sounding strings woven in effectively. A guitar solo towards the end of The Anarchist is reminiscent of both Rainbow's The Gates of Babylon and Tool's Third Eye. This is a brilliant song, particularly on repeat listening.

Carnies: The fifth whiplash-inducing song in a row. The bass joins in with that awesome guitar riff, only to make way for an evocative, exotic rising motif. The verses feature a chord progression reminiscent of Max Webster's Night Flights with a guitar figure similar to the bridge from The Trees. Really creative bass playing, too. There's some of that power-chord jamming from Secret Touch, Earthshine etc., but it's a lot cleaner-sounding and more balanced here - and it works better over Neil's new African drumming patterns.

Halo Effect: In short, the verses are similar to Nobody's Hero, and the choruses are almost a direct lift from the verses of Half the World. In common with Half the World, this piece also features a mandolin section. Despite it being a little self-derivative, the album benefits from the inclusion of a slower song at this point, and the production of the strings and acoustic guitar is excellent.

Seven Cities of Gold: Primus-style bass theatrics from Geddy at the start. This builds to a snaking, Zeppelinesque riff shared by Geddy and Alex that winds its way and surfaces repeatedly throughout the song. Another catchy chorus, and at some point Alex gets to scream and solo over the crazy bass lines from the intro. Parts of this have a classic rock feel, there's red hot jamming and also a few characteristically modern Rush elements present.

The Wreckers: The intro, which is reiterated later in the song, is pure mid-90s alt-rock; however, the heart of The Wreckers is in the contemplative strummed chord progression of the verses, and even more so in its haunting, melodic chorus. The song, which also features an ominous Pink Floydian bridge, seems like a much more successful realisation of what Rush were aiming for with songs like Spindrift, Faithless and Bravest Faith.

Headlong Flight: Still good.

BU2B2: This seems to be a nod to the soliloquy section of 2112 - with a more optimistic outcome. It also adds a little credence to Clockwork Angels's status as a "concept album". The pulsating string rhythm is unsettling in a similar way to the outro of I am the Walrus, and ominous synth noises rumble in sonic space below the string ensemble. It's more or less a purely rhythmic track of an atmospheric nature.

Wish Them Well: This is a deliberately straightforward anthemic rock song, alternating between strident major chords and a rising figure mildly reminiscent of The Pass. The bridge section bears a passing resemblance to the verses of Grand Designs. Despite it being a generally simple piece, a brief jam session breaks out in the middle of Wish Them Well to provide Alex with an opportunity to solo. It's a little clumsy perhaps, but this piece has an infectious, high-spirited and bold simplicity that makes it a worthwhile addition to the album.

The Garden: Dolorous bass harmonics backed by fluttering strings introduce the album's concluding song. The acoustic verses are wistful, with a harsh edge imparted by the string ensemble; the chorus is abruptly melancholy. Geddy's voice conveys the meaning of the song beautifully, particularly when duetting with a piano in the fragile bridge. Alex produces a well-measured solo. The overcast but hopeful tone harks back to Different Strings, but the pain is much darker - "the hours tick away, the cells tick away", if I hear that correctly, is a particularly sad line. This is the fitting conclusion to a late classic album from Rush.

Great summary James_G. I was just remarking to Sin City that there's a Max Webster vibe on some of the tracks.

Random observations:

The way Geddy sings "as if to fly" at the end of the title track is quite amusing.

The fairground music at the start of Carnies is part of The Liberty Bell, a march by Sousa. This march was also used as the theme tune of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Chorus of the title track is just absolutely amazing. goosebumps all over the place. when you listen to what ged's singing, over that building tom driven pattern, and the climbing guitar and bass...wow. best thing i've ever heard since becoming a die hard fan (2004)

Count me in on the "Play the whole album on tour" train, but we'll see how we all feel about that a couple months from now as many of us are on a "new Rush high" right now without a doubt...however I'm really finding the album remarkable

First time on headphones...pretty freakin' awesome...clockwork angels is truly a Rush classic that takes some work, but is worth the payoff

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 4 2012, 03:24 PM)
Bands that have been around for almost 40 years aren't supposed to be making albums like this.

Dude, best post of the thread!!

QUOTE (RUSHandOSU @ Jun 4 2012, 04:16 PM)
Best album in a long time!!!

Definitely best since Counterparts, but not saying much as the last 3 have been among their worst, at least for Rush standards.

My initial reaction would be that since Moving Pictures, Counterparts and Clockwork Angels are their 2 best

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 04:04 PM)
Count me in on the "Play the whole album on tour" train, but we'll see how we all feel about that a couple months from now as many of us are on a "new Rush high" right now without a doubt...however I'm really finding the album remarkable

First time on headphones...pretty freakin' awesome...clockwork angels is truly a Rush classic that takes some work, but is worth the payoff

I would definite like to hear a representation of the album -- especially if they play it in two-song blocks. e.g.

Caravan / BU2B in the first set.

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Seven Cities

The Wreckers

The Garden

RUSH has done 3-song blocks of new songs, but they start to lose the less dedicated audience at that point. And I've always respected RUSH's showmanship. They know tix are expensive and put a lot of thought into a setlist and entertaining show.

I hope the new video material is more along the lines of telling the CA story. Get Ridley Scott to direct a short film. He's hot this summer.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 4 2012, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 4 2012, 03:24 PM)
Bands that have been around for almost 40 years aren't supposed to be making albums like this.

Dude, best post of the thread!!

amen brother.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 12:40 PM)
If Tony R, rushgoober, and Reflected Light actually have a few good things to say about this record it must be off the charts! Still haven't listened yet but soon.

I've also been pretty skeptical of modern rush (but not as harsh). But among my friends, I'm the cynical rush fan.

This alo gets my thumbs up! Since I'm only 24, I haven't been around for a release that I actually liked. So this feels epic. (I became a fan of Rush just shy of VT release).

Ok, taking a break after 3 listens.

My feelings:

Tracks 1-4 are absolutely brilliant and Rush at their finest. I love what they added at the beginning of BU2B and how Caravan/BU2B connect. The acoustic part that segues into the beginning of Bu2B makes it that much more dramatic, but I am partial to that one as it's still my favorite Rush song in a long long time

Clockwork Angels-The biggest payoff with the most work. Kinda wished I still smoked weed and it was 20 years ago because it seems to be one of "those types" of songs rofl3.gif

The Anarchist-Brilliantly rocking and catchy at the same time. My favorote of the new ones

The middle part of the album seems to be the weakest part as tracks 5-7

Carnies-Not feeling it yet. Has a cool Alex riff but as a whole just not yet

Halo Effect-Biggest filler of the album. Nothing memorable

Seven Cities of Gold-Probably needs a couple more listens, but again not feeling it yet

The record closes strong the rest of the way

We're back on track with The Wreckers-probably the most accessible song on the album that will please a lot of people, but die hards will probably get sick of after too many listens

Wish Them Well-really weird for Rush as others have stated, but love how poppy it is yet still rocks when it has to

The Garden-ANother instant classic. Alex's solo is the best of the album and fits in so tastefully within the song. Reminds me of some of his more emotive solos of all time

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 04:23 PM)

Definitely best since Counterparts, but not saying much as the last 3 have been among their worst, at least for Rush standards.

My initial reaction would be that since Moving Pictures, Counterparts and Clockwork Angels are their 2 best

The way I look at VT and S&A is they were finding themselves and finding a new voice. It's a process, speaking as an artist myself, you're always trying to perfect the same painting / poem / song / film -- writing it and rewriting it in slightly different variations your entire career.

It's been said that the great filmmakers remakes the same film over and over. This applies to John Ford, Stanley Kubric, and to a certain extent Steven Speilberg.

NP writes about the same ideas & themes from different angles and different points in his life.

Alex and Geddy write music using their favorite chords, melodies, tones and rhythms. By favorite I means elements that have subconsciously become part of their voice, the way they express themselves as artists.

CA is the final album in the fourth stage of RUSH. They started off working alone self-producing VT, getting to know each other after a time apart. Then they had some fun with their influences on Feedback, still getting comfortable with writing again. Then boldly then took on an album with bigger ideas, and, in the later stages invited Nick R into the mix, getting to know and trust him as a collaborator. And finally, they do another concept album, a big idea with big songs connected by a central story.

I don't look as VT or S&A as terrible albums, just part of the growth toward CA.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 4 2012, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 04:23 PM)

The way I look at VT and S&A is they were finding themselves and finding a new voice. It's a process, speaking as an artist myself, you're always trying to perfect the same painting / poem / song / film -- writing it and rewriting it in slightly different variations your entire career.

It's been said that the great filmmakers remakes the same film over and over. This applies to John Ford, Stanley Kubric, and to a certain extent Steven Speilberg.

NP writes about the same ideas & themes from different angles and different points in his life.

Alex and Geddy write music using their favorite chords, melodies, tones and rhythms. By favorite I means elements that have subconsciously become part of their voice, the way they express themselves as artists.

CA is the final album in the fourth stage of RUSH. They started off working alone self-producing VT, getting to know each other after a time apart. Then they had some fun with their influences on Feedback, still getting comfortable with writing again. Then boldly then took on an album with bigger ideas, and, in the later stages invited Nick R into the mix, getting to know and trust him as a collaborator. And finally, they do another concept album, a big idea with big songs connected by a central story.

I don't look as VT or S&A as terrible albums, just part of the growth toward CA.

I agree with this. If you look at Rush's history, they have had a pattern of trying things in 3's and the 3rd is always the payoff.

Fly by Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112

Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures was kind of a transitional album, but turned out to their classic

Signals, GUP, and Power Windows. Most 80's Rush fans agree PW is their best

Hold Your Fire should never have happened LOL

Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts-CP clearly the classic

Now, Vapor Trails, Snakes, and Clockwork Angels-with Clockwork as you said, completing the cycle

OK, got through my first listen - downloaded the *.rar this morning before work, put it on a thumb drive, unpacked it during a break at lunch time, and listened on headphones at my desk following my afternoon meetings - of course, with "important work spreadsheet" up on my screen ("why, yes, boss, I'll have that TPS report ready in the morning...") wink.gif

Overall, I really like the new stuff. I got the 192 kbps rip and the sound isn't that great, but I'll take that under consideration until I can properly crank the CD next Tuesday. Here are my notes for each song:

Caravan - noticed the altered mix - phase added on Geddy's bass during the solo. Echos the "can't stop thinking big" line at end. Bass drum lost some punch from prior versions?? Could be the rip and my set-up here... Love the song.

BU2B - Love the new intro, but I wish they had tied it a bit more into the original entrance - sort of like a crescendo or something... There are more treatments on the vocals, doubled lines, etc. Love the song.

Clockwork Angels - very proggy - at moments reminded me of some early Genesis. Majestic sort of feeling - I do see the rhythmic relation to Grand Finale and Double Agent, but the chord progression is quite different. Love the solo that moves into this spacey blues like area accompanied by an odd effected megaphone voice. Love the whisper at the end (what does it say??) Love the song.

Anarchist - ROCK. Dig the riffs. The stops before the vocal entrance made me smile. Cool middle eastern orchestration again with vocal effect. I am not sure exactly why, but this song gave me the feeling of classic Rush. Sort of "the future as imagined from the past" = what I would have thought in 1981 that Rush might sound like in 2012. Really love the song.

Carnies - the segues between songs are a really nice touch and add to the overall atmosphere. ROCK again! Very metallish riff lots of cool parts. At one point, it gave me a Zeppelin type vibe. Also, the vocal break was just barely in - I wonder how consistently he will hit that live! Love the song.

Halo Effect - I'm a sucker for the Rush "ballads" - this one is really sweet, gives me goosebumps! Orchestrations are gorgeous! Really Love this song!

7 Cities - nice funky opening with cool atmospheric guitar. Very cool verse riff - the chorus is cool, but a bit repetative maybe. Very cool atmospheric solo and the bass is slamming at the end. Fades out - generally I don't like fades, but there is cool feedback at the end...

Wreckers - radio friendly chorus! Perhaps one of their most hooky choruses ever?!? The middle gets more intense and again with the goosebump moments. Just a great song. Really Love it!

Headlong Flight - bass, drum and guitar tour de force!!! Jammin' song and catchy even. I absolutely LOVE the build and kick-in to the final verse. Feels like your on a rollercoaster! Really love it!

BU2B2 - yeah, it's just an atmospheric little orchestration with very discouraged sounding vocals. I don't know why it's getting so much grief here - I compare it to the beginning of "Cygnus: The Bringer of balance" with Alex's midi guitar and effected vocals. It's just a connector for the concept. Again, I wish they had tied it more sonically to the next song, but I guess it would not have worked. (Hard to beat the kick-in on Cygnus!)

Wish Them Well - very simple start, catchy - then it gets a bit weird in direction.... some parts are cool (reminds me of "carve Away The Stone") mixed together, I'm just not getting the direction on this one (based on interviews, I'm not sure the band is getting this one!) There's a jammy little mid-section. OK song.

The Garden - epic sounding. goosebumps at the "measure of a life" line... unfortunately, I hate the expression "it is what it is" (an asshole manager at my work always says that with a dumb smile on his face.... makes me want to punch him.) Piano is nice - gives a proggy flair (again maybe early Genesis???) The guitar solo starts slow for me. Amazing build and gorgeous end. Love the song.

Overall, I pretty much love it on first listen. But as I know well, only time will tell if it's a classic (how it comes across live will also effect my perception of it all...) Looking forward to hearing it again!

Listening to this in work while reading through this thread. 'Wish Them Well' is just fading out now. Like everything so far! Feeling a lot of love for 'Halo Effect' and 'The Wreckers'.

'The Garden' has started.... pretty intro. Am I detecting slight 'Madrigal' influences here? Wow, what brilliant lyrics and beautiful vocal melodies! This track is a bit special isn't it? The piano part at 3:45 is gorgeous... and now Alex is bringing tears to my eyes with that solo! This may prove to be the best thing on the album, and that's saying a lot. And now it's finished and I want to hear the whole thing all over AGAIN. Luckily, I have another 8 hours in work and likely very little to do :-)

Overall impressions are extremely positive. It's surely a top 10 album, no doubt. All 3 guys have raised the bar with their playing and the way they play off each other is a privilege to listen to.

'Wish Them Well' is probably the weakest track but it's far from being a bad track. 'BU2B2' is not really a song as has been mentioned but it's a nice little interlude all the same.

OK, time for a headlong flight back to the start of the playlist biggrin.gif

<CLICK!>

I would definite like to hear a representation of the album -- especially if they play it in two-song blocks. e.g.

Caravan / BU2B in the first set.

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist

Seven Cities
The Wreckers

The Garden

For some reason, I'd really like to hear The Anarchist and The Weapon back-to-back. I feel like they belong together. Someone (likeclockwork?) said that The Anarchist could easily have been a song on Signals, and I can totally imagine that too.

The Garden is a special song; I can see that being the concluding song of the second set before a more upbeat encore.

So my first impression is that Clockwork Angels is their best album since Power Windows. There's just this energy going on that I haven't felt in such a long time. and its unlike any Rush album to ever come before it.

1. Caravan- Still really good and solid.

2. BU2B- IMO this an example of why its bad to have too much time on your hands, because the newly added intro just feels unnecessary. The momentum of Caravan is lost a little bit by going into the intro rather then strait into the original version of the song.

3. Clockwork Angel- Very cool song with a lot of different things going on.

4. The Anarchist- solid song which I need to listen to more.

5. Carnies- This song is so incredibly badass. I found myself headbanging to it. Incredible.

6. Halo Effect- Really like this song a lot, but need to listen to it more.

7. Seven Cities of Gold- Just a great solid song with a very cool riff

8. The Wreckers- Very cool and uplifting song and very smooth as well.

9. Headlong Flight- My favorite on the album and still just as amazing as when I first heard it.

10. BU2B2- I have deleted this track. Its just doesn't do anything for me, and its the only part of the album that I just don't really like. If it would have connected to the next song, then I probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but its like they just randomly dropped it onto the album with no context.

11. Wish Them Well- Half good and half bad. Hearing "wish them well" over and over again gets kind of old, but the guitar parts are pretty sweet. This should have been a solid song. Its like the song is saying that the album is winding down.

12. The Garden- Incredibly beautiful song, it almost brought a tear to my eye. I haven't loved an ending song like this since Mystic Rhythms.

In short, I think I love this album.

At the end of the day, for a band (almost in their 60's) and after almost 40 years of activity to create an album this damn good solidifies Rush as the greatest band in the world in my eyes.

I can not wait to buy the album and hear the full quality songs.

Edited by phoenix87