Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

I guess since the cat's out of the bag and people are listening o this via a leak its a good time tobhave a place for everyone tobshare their initial reactions of the new album. I have not heard it yet (still dont know if ill cave into the urge to listen early) so i dont have anything to say yet...

CONSIDER THIS A FULL SPOILER THREAD: If you have not listened to the album yet and do not want to be spoiled, stay clear of this thread

Sorry for all the typos in the OP, posting from my cell phone, the keyboard sucks....

If I do wind up listening early, I wont be able to until friday, got a busy 56 hour week at work... oh well i guss its better im really busy this week than the actual week of release

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 4 2012, 09:26 AM)
The Wreckers is awesome. That's standing out at the moment, along with Carnies 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

The Wreckers is easily the best song on the album.

Have listened it once.

Caravan - Solid as ever. I really love the long instrumental section.

BUB2 - The new intro didn't convince me but the song is still the same good rocker it used to be.

Clockwork Angels - Biggest disappointment after first listening. A bit too messy and lacks great melodies. I need to listen it more though.

The Anarchist - I don't remember much of it tbh.. Tells more than enough.

Carnies - Love the intro. Some good moments and some bad ones. Still pretty good.

Halo Effect - Nice break after all the messy guitars. An okay song.

Was a bit disappointed after listening the first half tbh. Messy guitars, no great melodies etc. Biggest letdown is Alex playing imo because he uses so much distortion and for that reason his playing isn't very melodic. Well let's continue.

Seven Cities of Gold - Finally some very nice playing by all the guys. The only problem is Geddy's high pitched vocals. They sound awful at times. Still a pretty good song and would really like to hear this one on live.

The Wreckers - THANK YOU RUSH!!! This one is absolutely gorgeous song. Great melodies, very powerful chorus etc. Could become my favourite of the album.

Headlong Flight - Third excellent song in a row. A bit too long maybe but otherwise very solid and rocks hards. Another one I really look forward to see on live.

BU2B2 - Solid little tune. Nothing too special though.

Wish Them Well - Gets repetitive pretty quickly. A bit too simple rocker imo.

The Garden - Another excellent piece. Love the vocals and the piano. Alex's solo is pretty neat too. Great way to end the album.

6-7 out of 12 songs are very good which makes me very happy. Not perfect album but considering the guys are almost 60 and that most of their albums in last 20 years have been disappointments this one leaves a positive feeling. Looking forward to get lyrics and tracks in a lossless audio quality.

Edited by Flying Finn

Loving the changes on Caravan. Awesome phaser effect on the bass during the jam section and later on. LOVE that they bumped the synths up in the mix during the chorus. Absolutely stunning. Edited by Gilbertk

QUOTE (Flying Finn @ Jun 4 2012, 09:42 AM)

6-7 out of 12 songs are very good which makes me very happy. Not perfect album but considering the guys are almost 60 and that most of their albums in last 20 years have been disappointments this one leaves a positive feeling. Looking forward to get lyrics and tracks in a lossless audio quality.

You missed Wish them well wink.gif

If you count how long are those 6-7 good songs, probably the minutes are 40 or more... confront those 40 minutes with Rush albums 1982-2007... ranking? cool.gif

As I said in another thread, I find it quite cinematic. I'm looking forward to getting the lyrics so I can enjoy the whole story. I think this record demands more than one listen to decide what I really think. I like it a lot. It is the best thing they have done in years.

I'm not even through my first initial listen. But since this is a first impressions thread.

Yeahhhh I don't really like "Clockwork Angels" the song. It feels meandering and weighed down. And the vocal melodies aren't that good. Instrumentally it's not kick ass like Headlong Flight (which justifies the length).

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 4 2012, 09:49 AM)
First listen completed. The Wreckers stands out, along with Carnies, and The Garden is a beautiful way to end the album. I quite liked BU2B2, as pointless as it is.

First listen was through headphones, now time to play it again, this time through my sound system 1022.gif

I started on headphones and halfway through the right side died! Oy!

Fortunately I was able to half listen in my car on the way to class. I'll finish on the way to work after this!

I second listen now:

The title track has a nice melody along with an unusual shuffle at the end of the guitar solo.

The Anarchist is my favorite so far. That short part at the end of he chorus is so melodic and catchy.

Carnies sees he return of the patented Neil ride cymbal pattern. Very cool tune.

I liked Wish Them Well. Very summery sounding tune.

The Garden was different, but in a good way. Very solemn ending.

I'll comment on the other stuff when I feel like it.

So far, the title track is the best to me in that it is the most Prog. Really not liking Wish Them Well that much. However, the album does flow, has many different flavors, and finishes off nicely with no after taste.

IMHO - the three best songs were the three we've already heard.

The middle of the album is interesting, but not really as engaging to me as Caravan, BU2B, and Headlong.

Those three songs have so many cool and memorable parts. They all stand on their own as new RUSH. They hooked me right off and then continued to grow on me.

As for the rest, maybe it will grow on me-- there are definitely catchy moments, guitar riffs etc. but nothing stands out like the initial 3 songs.

I hope they keep the set list to 6 CA songs. Caravan, BU2B, Headlong and 3 others.

I am still very excited about the book and hope that they produce some interesting videos to go along with the new material. Watching something visual, telling the story of the music would be cool. I like the story, and the cinematic quality of the songs.

Also, I'm just going to come out and say it, too often it seems like the cool new riffs go no where and just blend down into the 'wall of noise'. But that's what RUSH wants, so I respect them for doing it their way and not catering to my, perhaps, more commercial taste.

That's my initial reaction -- I love Caravan, BU2B, and Headlong. The rest feels like side one of Hemispheres something I'll get into listening to iover time. But I'm not keen about hearing it live.

QUOTE (RUSHandOSU @ Jun 4 2012, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 4 2012, 10:00 AM)
Seems like so far I'm the only one who actually really LIKES the title track... unsure.gif

dude im digging the title track right now yes.gif yes.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

LOVE the chorus yes.gif

Caravan and BU2B sound better to me. Dat bass.

The title song is a bit of a clusterfuck, but I like it.

Anarchist is my initial favorite. Sort of moves like a heavier 80s era song.

That riff on Seven Cities is pretty sweet. Almost sounds like it could've come from the first album.

Wreckers is good.

Wish Them Well is okay, but repetitive. Worst song on the album, BUT I don't hate it.

The Garden is purdy.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 4 2012, 07:14 AM)
Other than the new intro for BU2B, what differences are you all noticing between the original single release mixes and the album mix for Caravan & BU2B?

I didn't listen to the singles much. I really avoided them (hate burning out songs before the full release).

But to my ears, it sounds like the mix is a little different. More clear, and with more punch (doesn't sound as weighty). Or maybe my memory is just bad.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale