Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 07:52 PM)
I think what you realize about this album is its more of a jam/loose style album. It doesnt really have that sort of very tightly structured sound to it that the songs on say MP have.

MP has very clear, anthemic style guitar riffs, super tight structures, and most of these songs are kind of loose in that theres a lot of parts squeezed together, the guitar is more loose, very few really noticeable riffs like say the beginning of Limelight. This album is very different that way. Lots of notes going on in places you wouldnt expect.

The songs really are not driven by the vocal melodies like their more refined albums were, PeW, MP, PoW, which is fine, change is always good to me just to add to the variety of their catalog, but if you were hoping for those kinds of songs, thats just not what this album is trying to be.

Its more driven by the musical journey than anything else, or so it seems to me anyway.

goodpost.gif

You are right and I think because of that it takes 3-5 listens to digest the songs. Many of them are pretty lenghty after all.

Started second listening. Skipped Caravan and BU2B and will skip Headlong Flight too because I don't want to overplay them. I must say both Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist sounded much better than in the first time. I'm still very happy with the album and that's cool because I definitely don't like everything Rush has ever done. But this one really rocks! 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 11:52 AM)
I think what you realize about this album is its more of a jam/loose style album. It doesnt really have that sort of very tightly structured sound to it that the songs on say MP have.

MP has very clear, anthemic style guitar riffs, super tight structures, and most of these songs are kind of loose in that theres a lot of parts squeezed together, the guitar is more loose, very few really noticeable riffs like say the beginning of Limelight. This album is very different that way. Lots of notes going on in places you wouldnt expect.

The songs really are not driven by the vocal melodies like their more refined albums were, PeW, MP, PoW, which is fine, change is always good to me just to add to the variety of their catalog, but if you were hoping for those kinds of songs, thats just not what this album is trying to be.

Its more driven by the musical journey than anything else, or so it seems to me anyway.

Excellent points. I agree. yes.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 11:06 AM)
I really wish I didn't have a MAC right now...I'm dying LOL

What's the problem? I'm on a Mac... I had no issues.

mac here also. took me a little while to figure out but eventually got it and i'm not the most computer savy. wacko.gif

i put in my review and THEN read the entire thread. shockingly, my review seems to be one of the better ones by far! ohmy.gif

i did NOT see that coming. no.gif

my chief complaint right now is the sound quality, but i know that's because i'm listening to a crappy mp3. i'm looking forward to greatly increased sound quality and instrument separation with the CD. yes.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 11:26 AM)
I said in a thread a while back that I thought this might be a top five album... I think I was basing that on the first three releases because it was before the clips came out.

I think I wasn't wrong. I'm on my third listen now, and I do think this is a top five album for me... or close to it.

I like the album a lot but after 3 listens no way is it top 5 for me. This isnt on the same level as 2112, Hemispheres, PeW, MP and PoW. It's in the top 10 though.

So, it's better than you thought it would be?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 11:45 AM)
VERY INITIAL UNCENSORED IMPRESSIONS WARNING:

Only listened to once so far, so this could all change.

Caravan - improved mix, still don't love the song, but sounds cool - edited in: i actually think this song could grow on me having heard the whole album, something i haven't felt in a long while with this song - i doubt i'll ever outright love it, but anything's possible...

BU2B - intro is interesting, mix is improved, the lyrics are still terrible and kill the song for me - i think i'll need to read all the lyrics to see if this somehow magically falls into the story in such a way that it will all make sense, but on it's own it still fails for me, and it has to work on its own.

Clockwork Angels - GREAT song. Awesome solo - love how it breaks down into the slower section. I seriously need to see the lyrics on this one. This song has enough changes that I'd actually dub it with the term prog, but definitely "prog metal." No commercial appeal at all on this song, but that's not a bad thing!

The Anarchist - the 2nd 30 second clip did NOT do this song justice! Very interesting track that goes in cool directions - yay, it's not verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo, etc.! One guitar riff at the beginning of the song reminds me of MP-era, but it's brief. I REALLY need the lyrics on this song to see how well the lyrics work, but what I could make out sounded cool.

Carnies - again, a lot better than the 2nd 30 second clip let on - cool sound effects and instrumentation. not my fave song, but pretty good - again, knowing the lyrics would REALLY help!

Halo Effect - love the acoustic opening - very reminiscent of the 70's, but with definitely a more modern sounding Geddy. some nice melodies going on in this song - late 80's/early 90's feel to them - has lots of potential. i like that the song is short - doesn't get too ambitious, doesn't outstay its welcome.

Seven Cities of Gold - MAJORLY cool funky opening! Reminds me vaguely of VT in the way some of the lines are sung, but the instrumentation thankfully is much more interesting. The 30 second clip made him saying "Seven Cities of Gold" sound repetitive and annoying, but thankfully that's not the case - the chorus is actually nicely melodic with great lyrics (what I can make out) and has a very anthemic feel, and some of the guitar riffage in this song is REALLY cool. I would have loved a slightly less atmospheric and more distinct guitar solo, but still it sounded pretty cool. Again, somewhat proggy - nice changes. this song is a lot better than i thought it would be.

BU2B2 - this probably fits really well in the context of the album lyrically (which I can't read yet), but on its own I really don't like the lyrics AT ALL, but it sounds cool. i predict this and BU2B will be by far my least fave tracks - i simply don't like them on their own, even though i understand they're part of a larger concept.

The Wreckers - reminds me of Presto era in places. ok, so why the F*CK wasn't this the first single??? it's simple, it's catchy, it's accessible, it's not overly long, it's melodic, it's got some nice orchestral production touches that aren't overdone - this song has the biggest hit potential by far. admittedly, this was a guaranteed hit in 1991 - whether it would have a shot today or not, i have no idea.

Headlong Flight - skipped this as I wanted to get to the other tracks I haven't heard, but this song has been growing on me a lot lately. it's definitely one of the more accessible songs on the album.

Wish Them Well - i like the simplicity of this song when contrasted with a lot of songs that try to do a lot more - has somewhat of a more old school feel - nice melodies - the lyrics that i can make out sound pretty damn cool. this MIGHT be one of the weaker songs, but if that's the case, the standard set is pretty high as this is still pretty damn cool.

The Garden - there's no song i wish more that i had the lyrics to - what I can discern is really cool. could this song be this album's armor and sword? possibly. i doubt any song on this album will have quite the impact THAT song did on me, but if anyone might, it's this one... once i can read all the lyrics - it's really quite a beautiful song with some spinechilling moments - especially the part before the solo, and the solo is a very nice one - pretty clear. this song is destined to become a latter-day Rush classic.

Preliminary Thoughts:

strings not as prominent as i though they would be (which is fine)

geddy's voice sounds a lot better than i thought it would (which is great)

i was really afraid most of the songs would be a slave to the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/verse/chorus etc. format, but very few were, and the ones that did really don't bother me, in fact they're a welcome reprieve from the songs that go off in a lot more directions.

more than any other era, i get a presto/rtb feel to some of these songs, but thankfully done much better than most of those songs, and a good bit harder edged - often with a VT heaviness, but with songs that are a million times better all around.

the only songs i really strongly don't like are BU2B and BU2B2, but even still, they're not horrible or embarrassing or anything - i just don't care for the subject matter and it drags down the songs for me personally.

i wish there were a few more old school guitar solos (longer and clearer) on the album, but it's a minor complaint.

the album is a LOT better than i hoped - i was hoping to love 2 or 3 songs, and while it's way too early to tell how these songs will age to me, i think that might have been conservative - i'm VERY happy after the first listen! biggrin.gif

So happy tonhear this Goob! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 11:55 AM)
Basically what I meant is in the past they would jam out parts and put songs together that way, same way they do now, except back then you would never really know. This album does sound like jam parts put together so thats what I mean by loose. Doesnt sound as calculated as previous albums were.

I like it a lot, its different, has some good highs, some usual lows which is fine so its working for me.

Def has a more improv feel

I'm not going to download this, but I am really enjoying reading the reactions of those who have. This feedback means far more to me than a reviewer's, and I am getting very excited. I feel like I understand many of ya'll's opinions far better than a professional writer's, and so I can glean much better info. I feel like I have context for many of the opinions expressed here. It's especially exciting that some of the 'tougher' critics on here seem to be finding plenty to enjoy. Keep it up!

I haven't listened yet (waiting for the CD), but it's great to hear such positive response from folks like Rushgoober, Trenken, ReflectedLight and others. trink39.gif If you guys are not hating it, it MUST be good. tongue.gif

I was never really expeciting CA to join the ranks of the Terry Brown years. I was mostly expecting a Counterparts-type album, but with the sci-fi/concept twist. Is this basically what we've got here?

Sounds like CA may easily be their best since CP. Is it anyone's best since HYF or PoW? Or GUP? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 12:27 PM)
I said in a thread a while back that I thought this might be a top five album... I think I was basing that on the first three releases because it was before the clips came out.

I think I wasn't wrong. I'm on my third listen now, and I do think this is a top five album for me... or close to it.

I like the album a lot but after 3 listens no way is it top 5 for me. This isnt on the same level as 2112, Hemispheres, PeW, MP and PoW. It's in the top 10 though.

Well I hadnt heard it before. I had only commented on some clips but wasnt making any sort of final judgement on an album I hadnt heard.

I think its very good. Not their best for me, I like a bunch of their albums more right now, but Im only 3 listens in so we'll see. I might like it more or less over time. Get back to me in 6 months. lol

Right now its in the top 10 for sure, I like it more than anything since Presto.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 12:27 PM)

Well I hadnt heard it before. I had only commented on some clips but wasnt making any sort of final judgement on an album I hadnt heard.

I think its very good. Not their best for me, I like a bunch of their albums more right now, but Im only 3 listens in so we'll see. I might like it more or less over time. Get back to me in 6 months. lol

Right now its in the top 10 for sure, I like it more than anything since Presto.

Glad to hear! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 11:45 AM)
VERY INITIAL UNCENSORED IMPRESSIONS WARNING:

Only listened to once so far, so this could all change.

Caravan - improved mix, still don't love the song, but sounds cool - edited in: i actually think this song could grow on me having heard the whole album, something i haven't felt in a long while with this song - i doubt i'll ever outright love it, but anything's possible...

BU2B - intro is interesting, mix is improved, the lyrics are still terrible and kill the song for me - i think i'll need to read all the lyrics to see if this somehow magically falls into the story in such a way that it will all make sense, but on it's own it still fails for me, and it has to work on its own.

Clockwork Angels - GREAT song.  Awesome solo - love how it breaks down into the slower section.  I seriously need to see the lyrics on this one.  This song has enough changes that I'd actually dub it with the term prog, but definitely "prog metal."  No commercial appeal at all on this song, but that's not a bad thing!

The Anarchist - the 2nd 30 second clip did NOT do this song justice!  Very interesting track that goes in cool directions - yay, it's  not verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo, etc.!  One guitar riff at the beginning of the song reminds me of MP-era, but it's brief.  I REALLY need the lyrics on this song to see how well the lyrics work, but what I could make out sounded cool.

Carnies - again, a lot better than the 2nd 30 second clip let on - cool sound effects and instrumentation.  not my fave song, but pretty good - again, knowing the lyrics would REALLY help!

Halo Effect - love the acoustic opening - very reminiscent of the 70's, but with definitely a more modern sounding Geddy.  some nice melodies going on in this song - late 80's/early 90's feel to them - has lots of potential.  i like that the song is short - doesn't get too ambitious, doesn't outstay its welcome. 

Seven Cities of Gold - MAJORLY cool funky opening!  Reminds me vaguely of VT in the way some of the lines are sung, but the instrumentation thankfully is much more interesting.  The 30 second clip made him saying "Seven Cities of Gold" sound repetitive and annoying, but thankfully that's not the case - the chorus is actually nicely melodic with great lyrics (what I can make out) and has a very anthemic feel, and some of the guitar riffage in this song is REALLY cool.  I would have loved a slightly less atmospheric and more distinct guitar solo, but still it sounded pretty cool.  Again, somewhat proggy - nice changes.  this song is a lot better than i thought it would be.

BU2B2 - this probably fits really well in the context of the album lyrically (which I can't read yet), but on its own I really don't like the lyrics AT ALL, but it sounds cool.  i predict this and BU2B will be by far my least fave tracks - i simply don't like them on their own, even though i understand they're part of a larger concept.

The Wreckers - reminds me of Presto era in places.  ok, so why the F*CK wasn't this the first single???  it's simple, it's catchy, it's accessible, it's not overly long, it's melodic, it's got some nice orchestral production touches that aren't overdone - this song has the biggest hit potential by far.  admittedly, this was a guaranteed hit in 1991 - whether it would have a shot today or not, i have no idea.

Headlong Flight - skipped this as I wanted to get to the other tracks I haven't heard, but this song has been growing on me a lot lately. it's definitely one of the more accessible songs on the album. 

Wish Them Well - i like the simplicity of this song when contrasted with a lot of songs that try to do a lot more - has somewhat of a more old school feel - nice melodies - the lyrics that i can make out sound pretty damn cool.  this MIGHT be one of the weaker songs, but if that's the case, the standard set is pretty high as this is still pretty damn cool.

The Garden - there's no song i wish more that i had the lyrics to - what I can discern is really cool.  could this song be this album's armor and sword?  possibly.  i doubt any song on this album will have quite the impact THAT song did on me, but if anyone might, it's this one... once i can read all the lyrics - it's really quite a beautiful song with some spinechilling moments - especially the part before the solo, and the solo is a very nice one - pretty clear.  this song is destined to become a latter-day Rush classic.

Preliminary Thoughts:

strings not as prominent as i though they would be (which is fine)

geddy's voice sounds a lot better than i thought it would (which is great)

i was really afraid most of the songs would be a slave to the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/verse/chorus etc. format, but very few were, and the ones that did really don't bother me, in fact they're a welcome reprieve from the songs that go off in a lot more directions.

more than any other era, i get a presto/rtb feel to some of these songs, but thankfully done much better than most of those songs, and a good bit harder edged - often with a VT heaviness, but with songs that are a million times better all around.

the only songs i really strongly don't like are BU2B and BU2B2, but even still, they're not horrible or embarrassing or anything - i just don't care for the subject matter and it drags down the songs for me personally.

i wish there were a few more old school guitar solos (longer and clearer) on the album, but it's a minor complaint.

the album is a LOT better than i hoped - i was hoping to love 2 or 3 songs, and while it's way too early to tell how these songs will age to me, i think that might have been conservative - i'm VERY happy after the first listen! biggrin.gif

So happy tonhear this Goob! biggrin.gif

This is after one listen, but I'm extremely optimistic based on what I've heard the first time. Gonna take a break before listening again - it kind of sucks listening to a muddy MP3, but it's better than nothing... until June 12th, that is! trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 4 2012, 10:52 AM)
Acually this whole thread has been a trap......i've weeded out all who have downloaded the album illegially... government agents will be knocking at your doors shortly....

Just joking, loving the feedback and i cannot wait to hear this! I might sacrifice some sleep and listen to this tonight....

There's nothing illegal about downloading and erasing.

It's uploading that's the crime.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 12:32 PM)
I haven't listened yet (waiting for the CD), but it's great to hear such positive response from folks like Rushgoober, Trenken, ReflectedLight and others. trink39.gif If you guys are not hating it, it MUST be good. tongue.gif

I was never really expeciting CA to join the ranks of the Terry Brown years. I was mostly expecting a Counterparts-type album, but with the sci-fi/concept twist. Is this basically what we've got here?

Sounds like CA may easily be their best since CP. Is it anyone's best since HYF or PoW? Or GUP? ohmy.gif

Its really nothing at all like Counterparts. Its not even worth comparing because they're just too different.

CP is kind of more of a funky style 90s rock album, this isnt really like that. There's some funk stuff like parts of 7 cities and in other areas, but its really kind of more of like a jam style heavier album than they've done recently, with some very cool moment sprinkled throughout.

I really do like that 5:09 section of Anarchist, I just wish it was longer.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 09:06 AM)

lol a RAR file is really stopping you?

Those pesky RAR files man, lots of people having trouble with them.

If only there were a website where you could actually just type in how to extract RAR files and receive an answer.... someone should start working on that. Could be a gold mine.

/sarcasm

Really enjoyed the title track more the second time through by a factor of 10. The first time through was just a mess. It does sound big and adventurous but it still sounds nothing like late 70s to me, not that it really matters. I really love the post solo "telephone voice" music part. Absorbing other songs now...

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 09:06 AM)

lol a RAR file is really stopping you?

Those pesky RAR files man, lots of people having trouble with them.

If only there were a website where you could actually just type in how to extract RAR files and receive an answer.... someone should start working on that. Could be a gold mine.

/sarcasm

Shhhhh, don't give anyone any ideas.

My only issue right now with CA is the bass sound. It doesn't sounded defined enough for me. Yes very present, but it lacks the clarity I was hoping for. It almost pounds too much in spots.