Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

TNMS's and Counterparts' "SLIM" really, really likes it. Anyone who knows of this bloke knows that he's been just ruthless in his disdain over MOST Rush albums since 1987. So there's your measuring stick: it done won back an old hard ass like this guy. And it doesn't come much crankier. He's a very intelligent and articulate bloke, but stubborn as an ass.

So yeah, hell has officially frozen over.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 4 2012, 05:52 PM)

There is no tail end of mediocrity, no shortage of ideas and energy, no...Dog Years.

i disagree. some of the songs drag to me and some of us like dog years. 1287.gif

You are DEFINITLEY in a TINY minority of about 4 or 5 people.

that's ok. we all have different tastes.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 4 2012, 06:52 PM)

There is no tail end of mediocrity, no shortage of ideas and energy, no...Dog Years.

i disagree. some of the songs drag to me and some of us like dog years. 1287.gif

You are DEFINITLEY in a TINY minority of about 4 or 5 people.

I like Dog Years! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 4 2012, 07:01 PM)
I'm listening to a poor quality version on Grooveshark. If anyone would like to point me in a better direction, message me.

Find it on your own. Probably not too difficult at this point. This board is not to be used for finding and downloading these songs.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74499

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2012, 04:56 PM)
TNMS's and Counterparts' "SLIM" really, really likes it. Anyone who knows of this bloke knows that he's been just ruthless in his disdain over MOST Rush albums since 1987. So there's your measuring stick: it done won back an old hard ass like this guy. And it doesn't come much crankier. He's a very intelligent and articulate bloke, but stubborn as an ass.

Yeah, I pointed that out on another thread. It's simply a miracle. He'll probably change his mind tomorrow.

Currently...

Caravan: 9.5/10

BU2B: 8/10

Clockwork Angels: 8.5/10

The Anarchist: 9/10 (this song has some very, VERY cool stuff in it.

Carnies: 7/10 (great riff, not a big fan of the rest. Average Rush song.)

Halo Effect: 8/10 (second half of the song redeems it)

Seven Cities of Gold: 6.5/10 (just like Good News First, the vocals are a massive turnoff here. The fadeout is sick though. Kinda below average except the intro and outro.)

The Wreckers: 9.5/10 (Potential to be Rush's biggest hit since Subdivisions and New World Man)

Headlong Flight: 9/10 (this song grew by leaps and bounds after hearing it in the context of the album. Holy crap. The sound quality is also a lot better on my MP3 than it is on the radio/Youtube.)

BU2B2: 9.5/10 (absolutely fantastic and critical to this album. a major highlight of the album. I was VERY surprised!)

Wish Them Well: 8/10 (love the Foo Fighters and King's X nods on this song. Potential hit. Great drumming and twangy guitar on this cut. A bit repetitive though - would be better if it the second "all that we can do is wish them well" near the start was taken out. It's just a bit too repetitive. Easy to get into on the first listen. Some of Geddy's vocals near the outro get a little rough. Fantastic fadeout.)

The Garden: 9/10 (Excellent final song - tries a bit too hard to avoid cliches, which puts a bit of a damper on the emotional impact at points, but it's still quite good. Dream Theater would have a field day with this song, I bet! A little disappointed in the piano and melodies - but then again, Dream Theater does this kind of song so well, so I'm spoiled.)

Overall, most of the album met my expectations. Parts of it exceeded expectations (BU2B2, Wish them Well, The Wreckers), while other parts fell a little short (the second half of The Garden felt like it tried a bit too hard to be different, for example, and Seven Cities of Gold/Carnies felt very sloppy). Some of the song went on for too long. Lots of gold on this album. The inclusion of strings elevates this album above the previous three; I think it's my favorite since Counterparts, and my second favorite since Power Windows.

Edited by Deckiller

Honestly, I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. I just loved the BU2B motif and the way the songs flowed into each other. BU2B2 is the only thing that screams "CONCEPT ALBUM" to me.

I would've liked to have seen more recurring motifs and stuff, but I still think it's the best concept album since Scenes from a Memory (though Porcupine Tree's In Absentia comes close!)

I think there are better concept albums out there. Tommy, The Lamb, and Scenes from a Memory are all untouchables that are far above it, IMO. But then again, those are the masterpieces by those respective bands. I'd say it's on par with Misplaced Childhood.

Edited by Deckiller

The last couple minutes of The Garden is pure gold. Goosebump city. As much as people love Available light and The Pass and Bravado and songs like that I think this trumps them all. A stellar conclusion to a great record.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:21 PM)
The last couple minutes of The Garden is pure gold. Goosebump city. As much as people love Available light and The Pass and Bravado and songs like that I think this trumps them all. A stellar conclusion to a great record.

It might grow on me. I was a tiny bit disappointed from the piano onward, maybe because I was listening to the song with a Dream Theater frame of mind.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 06:17 PM)
Honestly, I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. I just loved the BU2B motif and the way the songs flowed into each other. BU2B2 is the only thing that screams "CONCEPT ALBUM" to me.

I would've liked to have seen more recurring motifs and stuff, but I still think it's the best concept album since Scenes from a Memory (though Porcupine Tree's In Absentia comes close!)

I think there are better concept albums out there. Tommy, The Lamb, and Scenes from a Memory are all untouchables that are far above it, IMO. But then again, those are the masterpieces by those respective bands. I'd say it's on par with Misplaced Childhood.

WOW, now I'm seriously excited. bncegrn.gif But for me, Misplaced Childhood is about 1000X better than Scenes From a Mammary. tongue.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 4 2012, 03:21 PM)
Very good :
BU2B
Headlong Fight
The Garden
Clockwork Angels

Good :
Carnies
The Wreckers
Wish Them Well
Caravan

So So :
The Anarchist
Halo Effect
Seven Cities of Gold

7/10
biggrin.gif smile.gif schla03.gif

Too early to rate. But I am just now listening on good headphones to 192kps MP3s and it sounds incredible. I thought I liked the title track earlier but found out how awesome it does sound. This is a great track.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 06:24 PM)

WOW, now I'm seriously excited. bncegrn.gif But for me, Misplaced Childhood is about 1000X better than Scenes From a Mammary. tongue.gif

Scenes from A Memory is great but people that aren't prog fans might not think so quite as much. My fav DT record is still Awake.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 4 2012, 07:01 PM)
I'm listening to a poor quality version on Grooveshark. If anyone would like to point me in a better direction, message me.

Find it on your own. Probably not too difficult at this point. This board is not to be used for finding and downloading these songs.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74499

Tedious job there 73. Sorry you have to put up with this.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 06:24 PM)

Yeah, Dream Theater are polarizing. To be honest, this concept album is firmly in the "Tommy" camp - lots of stand-alone "scenes". This is a very raw record - perhaps the closest the band has sounded to 2112 since, well, 2112.

Solid 9.5 yes.gif

The GREAT

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Seven Cities Of Gold

Carnies

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

The Good

The Anarchist

Halo Effect

The So-So

BU2B2

Wish Them Well

Overall - FANTASTIC ALBUM!! 1022.gif

This is one release that needs to be savored and digested slowly. And it will sooooo good. Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2012, 04:56 PM)
TNMS's and Counterparts' "SLIM" really, really likes it.  Anyone who knows of this bloke knows that he's been just ruthless in his disdain over MOST Rush albums since 1987.  So there's your measuring stick: it done won back an old hard ass like this guy.  And it doesn't come much crankier.  He's a very intelligent and articulate bloke, but stubborn as an ass.

Yeah, I pointed that out on another thread. It's simply a miracle. He'll probably change his mind tomorrow.

Almost surely. He'll blame it on the vokda he's drinking. biggrin.gif

I dont know if this has been touched on or not but do you guys know what is being whispered at the end of the title track?? i cant make it out for some reason Edited by RUSHandOSU

QUOTE (RUSHandOSU @ Jun 4 2012, 07:46 PM)
I dont know if this has been touched on or not but do you guys know what is being whispered at the end of the title track?? i cant make it out for some reason

MiTA will have this stuff in no time....once it is officially released.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2012, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHandOSU @ Jun 4 2012, 07:46 PM)
I dont know if this has been touched on or not but do you guys know what is being whispered at the end of the title track?? i cant make it out for some reason

MiTA will have this stuff in no time....once it is officially released.

yeah that's true just a matter of time before its up there

So far, sounds pretty great. I am pleasantly surprised by how good Geddy's vocals sound, and most of these songs sound very well written. I am on board with the many who think BU2B2 and Wish Them Well are the two weakest, but I am also on board with those who think the title track, The Anarchist and Carnies are all stellar.

Quick production note, too: I can't wait to hear the CD version of this now. On this rip, the heaviest parts sound a bit too loud and noisy, but I suspect that will be improved on the real CD.