Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2012, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 07:42 PM)
it's a bummer for me because they are definitely going to come back and play caravan and bu2b which takes up two valuable setlist spots.

I'm telling you guys, this is the tour for them to play this in it's entirety! Leave all the requests and desires for R40!

yes.gif

Yeah, I have a feeling they may play the entire album to start the second set. Or maybe they'll break it up and play six song blocks in each set, because I think they'll want some of the new stuff in the first set.

Oh well, ReflectedLight will have plenty of time to hang out in the restroom and beer garden. trink38.gif

if they played the whole album from first to last, that would be a major mistake. you would have people roaming all over the place. pee breaks, beer breaks, you name it.

Getting my first listen. (I can like you all again)

Due to some personal circumstances, I just had to go The Garden first. Man. Whew. I'm the youngest, mid-40s, and they just told us on Friday that my brother's 3 month ordeal with cancer may be coming to an end soon - yes - that end. That's the reason I had to go there first. Have a feeling that over the next few weeks, I'm going to need that song....

I also really really The Wreckers. Guess I'm an "Available Light" kind of guy. That song, especially the chorus, just grabbed me.

Will listen to rest slowly but surely, probably later tonight but those are the first two that have meaning for me tonight....

Absolutely loving the part of the title track when Geddy sings "High above the city square..." seriously loving it. Just perfection for me.

The Wreckers has got a bit of a hold on me as well. I seem to like Halo Effect more than some here, and Carnies a bit less - haven't found anything special about that track just yet, even the guitar.

Enjoying Seven Cities, a good rocker. I need to give The Anarchist more listens to get a full opinion on it, but I liked what I heard. Also need to wait a little longer for judgment on Wish Them Well and The Garden. And I really don't even consider BU2B2 to be a full song, just more of an interlude.

I think the new BU2B intro is an improvement, but as a minor gripe, I wish it didn't fade out, that it lead into the song in some better way. But I am happy with it. Jury's still out on the Caravan changes for me, not sure which version I'll prefer. Still loving Headlong Flight.

I'm struggling a bit with my perceptions of the three songs that were already released - I sort of see them as separate entities, and I need to think of them as part of this album.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 08:17 PM)

if they played the whole album from first to last, that would be a major mistake. you would have people roaming all over the place. pee breaks, beer breaks, you name it.

I don't doubt that, but those fans would be idiots. Rush have almost always heavily featured a lot of new music on every album tour they have done, so why would this be any different?

Honestly, I think they already know they are gonna play most of it, and are maybe gauging the public's reaction to it to decide if they want to play all of it. If public opinion is overwhelmingly positive, they might decide to go for it and play all of it.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:40 PM)
If Tony R, rushgoober, and Reflected Light actually have a few good things to say about this record it must be off the charts!

Maybe there's something to say about keeping your expectations cautiously optimistic or even low or realistic - leaves room to be pleasantly surprised, as opposed to expecting the greatest album of our generation, which is hard to live up to. wink.gif

trink39.gif Glad you found something to enjoy on this record. Which tune is your early fave? Garden?

While I think The Wreckers and The Garden are awesome, and other ones have a lot of potential, so far the standout to me is the title track - I love how all over the place it is. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 08:30 PM)
If Tony R, rushgoober, and Reflected Light actually have a few good things to say about this record it must be off the charts!

Maybe there's something to say about keeping your expectations cautiously optimistic or even low or realistic - leaves room to be pleasantly surprised, as opposed to expecting the greatest album of our generation, which is hard to live up to. wink.gif

trink39.gif Glad you found something to enjoy on this record. Which tune is your early fave? Garden?

While I think The Wreckers and The Garden are awesome, and other ones have a lot of potential, so far the standout to me is the title track - I love how all over the place it is. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i wish i could get on board with the wreckers but that chorus.......i'll have to give it another listen tomorrow.

The more we listen to it the more it will make sence. We just have to learn the changes. Once we know whats coming next we'll start liking it much more and More and MORE!!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2012, 08:40 PM)

The more we listen to it the more it will make sence. We just have to learn the changes. Once we know whats coming next we'll start liking it much more and More and MORE!!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I'm not a big fan of drilling songs into my head until I "like" them.

Clockwork Angels is quickly becoming my favorite Rush song...ever...

The last chorus when Neil is just pounding away on the double bass, biggest goosebump moment I have ever gotten from a Rush song.

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Jun 4 2012, 08:42 PM)
Clockwork Angels is quickly becoming my favorite Rush song...ever...

The last chorus when Neil is just pounding away on the double bass, biggest goosebump moment I have ever gotten from a Rush song.

Awesome song. Contains an awesome solo too. The last 3 minutes of the Garden is becoming one of the biggest goosebump moments ever for me and that's coming from somebody who loves the heavy stuff.

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 4 2012, 09:06 PM)
Maybe I'm a fanboi, but I think every song on here is amazing in their own way and together make one of the best concept albums of the last 20 years.

It's at least the best Concept Album since Dream Theater's Scene from a Memory!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (napoleonj @ Jun 4 2012, 09:18 PM)
Didn't see this covered anywhere in
this thread. What happened to the Pedlar 1 and 2?

Yeah, what's up with that? Maybe we'll find out once we actually have the CD in hand they might be there attached to the end of songs! Who knows!

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 4 2012, 09:06 PM)
Maybe I'm a fanboi, but I think every song on here is amazing in their own way and together make one of the best concept albums of the last 20 years.

It's at least the best Concept Album since Dream Theater's Scene from a Memory!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I can't go that far. There have been a number of really good concept albums in the last decade.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2012, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (napoleonj @ Jun 4 2012, 09:18 PM)
Didn't see this covered anywhere in
this thread. What happened to the Pedlar 1 and 2?

Yeah, what's up with that? Maybe we'll find out once we actually have the CD in hand they might be there attached to the end of songs! Who knows!

confused13.gif

I've heard two conflicting things:

1. They aren't songs, they're transitions. You've heard them as part of the songs they're attached to.

2. They're subtitles for two other songs.

I don't know which is the truth. Has it been definitively proven yet?

My expectations had been building from the 2010 versions of Caravan and BU2B through the insane Headlong Flight and the very promising 30 second Walmart clips. Then we got the mediocre 30 second Italian clips. Suddenly I found myself apprehensive.

Now I have the whole thing, and I'm floored by how good it is.

Like with the previous album, they spared us of cheesy/awkward lyrics and choruses. This time out, we've also been treated to extended instrumental introductions and mid-sections in most songs. They've truly outdone themselves:

• Caravan and BU2B sound better than the 2010 versions. Love the new BU2B intro.
  • Clockwork Angels has the best parts of Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, Jethro Tull, and Transatlantic rolled into one (at a "brief" 7:31 for an epic prog masterpiece).
  • The Anarchist simply rocks. Awesome basslines and riffs. Very catchy. Incredible guitar solo.
  • Carnies has some slightly abrasive vocals in the beginning, but once the song gets moving, it's quite enjoyable. Another cool groove from Geddy. Very energetic ending.
  • Rush's ballads are hit-and-miss, but Halo Effect is OK. Similar to, but better than, songs like Nobody's Hero and Half the World.
  • Seven Cities of Gold starts off well. His singing almost derails it and the main riff (played during the chorus) isn't all that interesting, but the proggy and classic rock elements keep things fun. The solo section is sweet.
  • The Wreckers is super melodic and catchy. Very straight forward, not much instrumentation, but it works. This has radio single written all over it.
  • Headlong Flight is a drum-fill-athon, jam-tastic masterpiece.
  • BU2B is a very interesting orchestra piece.
  • Wish Them Well is mostly a simple pop tune, and competes with Halo Effect for being the worst song on the album. And it's still actually decent. We get some slightly silly vocal arrangements, but nothing too objectionable... Great instrumental section.
  • The Garden might be the best of the slow folksy Rush songs. Though I don't especially care for The Larger Bowl and Presto, those songs have some nifty guitar bits, and this combines them with elements of the excellent Available Light and Bravado.
My first impression is that it's going to rank right up there with their best (for me, Power Windows and Moving Pictures). Even if we tossed 3-4 of the weaker songs, we'd be left with 50+ minutes of solid material.

Thank you Rush. Thank you Nick Raskulinecz.

P.S. For the record (pun!), I didn't use file-sharing as I don't want to help anyone obtain it who isn't going to pay for it (I'll be buying multiple copies as gifts).

Fourth listen, and The Anarchist has grown on me. Some cool stuff happening there. biggrin.gif I also really like BU2B2. Even if its just "filler" or and interlude, its still a really cool. Love the strings on that track. Also Wish You Well is a very catchy but good pop rock song. If it sounds like King's X like people here have stated, then I need to start listening to King's X.

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 4 2012, 10:23 PM)
My expectations had been building from the 2010 versions of Caravan and BU2B through the insane Headlong Flight and the very promising 30 second Walmart clips. Then we got the mediocre 30 second Italian clips.  Suddenly I found myself apprehensive.

Now I have the whole thing, and I'm floored by how good it is.

Same thing happened to me. I'm pleasantly surprised that its this good!

Edited by ColdFireYYZ