Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

Only song I'm still not in love with is Halo Effect. I dunno why. Need more listens for sure, but that song doesn't really do it for me.

Still loving Wreckers, I could see it being one of my all time fav Rush songs (with more time). The Garden is also really stunning and different for Rush.

I don't want to be THAT guy. I know some of you don't like talking about the quality of the production/mastering. But what do you guys think of the production/mastering of this album? I kind of think the album is a bit muddy and bloated in spots. I mean, not in all places. I think it's mostly the bass. I think the drums and vocals sound pretty good.

Then again, we have a 192 rip. And a good amount of people are saying this is a transcode (so it could be a 128 rip transcoded up to 192).

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 12:42 AM)
I don't want to be THAT guy. I know some of you don't like talking about the quality of the production/mastering. But what do you guys think of the production/mastering of this album? I kind of think the album is a bit muddy and bloated in spots. I mean, not in all places. I think it's mostly the bass. I think the drums and vocals sound pretty good.

Then again, we have a 192 rip. And a good amount of people are saying this is a transcode (so it could be a 128 rip transcoded up to 192).

Agreed. I said it earlier, about how the heaviest parts sound real loud and noisy, which I suspect is the result of this rip. The CD will sound much better.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 4 2012, 09:52 PM)

Agreed. I said it earlier, about how the heaviest parts sound real loud and noisy, which I suspect is the result of this rip. The CD will sound much better.

On the plus side, we know it could never get as bad as VT.

biggrin.gif

Almost through the first listen...

Really like it so far. It seems to me like this has little bits and pieces from all their "phases".

There are real hard lines, like Caress of Steel. There are times I am reminded of Presto or Hold Your Fire.

I am a lifelong fan. I once told my buddy Matt (in 1983) that if RUSH put out a disco album, I would learn to like it. The closest thing I can relate to that is Vapor Trails...

Just getting The Garden...Wow!

My take, there is enough for all of us to like. Old school fans will love the harder stuff and eschew the mellower (sp.) stuff.

I really think this album is so much more for RUSH than for us. It is similar to 2112. After COS, they were on the ropes. Their record company said no more concept albums. They said okay. And then produced 2112...

I feel this is totally for them. Everyone else be damned.

I love it!

As a mid-40s guy, I don't have the time to digest new music. I'll make the time for CA!

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 4 2012, 10:52 PM)

Yeah, it sounds muddy, but it's definitely due to the compression. Can't wait to hear the CD!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 01:36 AM)
It seems most people are digging the album.

If they don't, well, all that we can do is wish them well. yes.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 01:52 AM)
Just listened to The Wreckers again.. this is a REAL good song. Omg

Isn't it funny how most of the reviewers viewed this track as a middle of the road song while a lot of posters on here view it as one of their favs? confused13.gif

I'm not as into The Wreckers as most everyone else seems to be. There's a lot to like in it, but there's stuff that I'm digging a lot more on the album. The intro chords sound a bit simplistic. That part could benefit from a guitar melody or some more movement/variation in that D chord. The most maddening thing about it is how they abruptly fade it out just as it starts to really cook at the end.

Halo Effect is the weakest part of the record for me. It sounds like something that would be at home on Test For Echo. It definitely draws from Half the World.

Wish Them Well also has a Test For Echo vibe-not really into the Carve Away The Stone-sounding parts-but overall, it works a lot better for me.

The run of Clockwork Angels->The Anarchist->Carnies is currently my favorite chunk of the record. Had me grinning ear-to-ear!

Edited by malnar

Well, after a couple of listens, all I can say is.... this album f'ing ROCKS! 1022.gif It has so much variation, yet all the songs fit together so well.

My favorite song right now is Seven Cities Of Gold, though as many have said, the title track is absolutely stellar.

And call me crazy, but The Wreckers is probably my least favorite track on the album.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 5 2012, 02:10 AM)
Well, well, well, look at these evil criminal downloaders!  tongue.gif  wink.gif

Can't freakin wait to buy a better quality version. 1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 02:01 AM)

Isn't it funny how most of the reviewers viewed this track as a middle of the road song while a lot of posters on here view it as one of their favs? confused13.gif

Haha right?

I still remember the review in which the author said that Halo Effect would become an instant classic. Wtf was he smoking?

Edit: Speaking of which, I was talking to someone on Youtube yesterday about Marathon and how many Rush fans consider it a top 20, if not a top 10 song. This conversation was just a couple hours before the leak. He replied:

"yeah, i would agree with that sentiment. But, with the advent of their latest three albums, and the strength of some of the songs on those albums (Ceiling Unlimited, Halo Effect, Caravan, Far Cry, Earthshine) it would stand to reason that Marathon would slip from that list. And that is not a negative reflection on the song itself, it is a testament to RUSH's ability to continue to get better and hone their skills and musicianship. "

Me: "Wait, Halo Effect? Have you heard it already?"

"It is off "Clockwork Angels" ... Headlong Flight, BU2B, Caravan ... those three you can listen to right now ... I have a friend who got a promo copy for reviewing ... i took a sneak listen -- or three."

So.. I've seen two people consider Halo Effect to be this masterpiece of a song. I think it's definitely one of the weaker tracks.

wtf.gif confused13.gif

Edited by SchemingDemon

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 02:22 AM)

Haha right?

I still remember the review in which the author said that Halo Effect would become an instant classic. Wtf was he smoking?

Edit: Speaking of which, I was talking to someone on Youtube yesterday about Marathon and how many Rush fans consider it a top 20, if not a top 10 song. This conversation was just a couple hours before the leak. He replied:

"yeah, i would agree with that sentiment. But, with the advent of their latest three albums, and the strength of some of the songs on those albums (Ceiling Unlimited, Halo Effect, Caravan, Far Cry, Earthshine) it would stand to reason that Marathon would slip from that list. And that is not a negative reflection on the song itself, it is a testament to RUSH's ability to continue to get better and hone their skills and musicianship. "

"It is off "Clockwork Angels" ... Headlong Flight, BU2B, Caravan ... those three you can listen to right now ... I have a friend who got a promo copy for reviewing ... i took a sneak listen -- or three."

So.. I've seen two people consider Halo Effect to be this masterpiece of a song. I think it's definitely one of the weaker tracks.

wtf.gif confused13.gif

I like Halo Effect but instant sing along classic is a bit much. tongue.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 02:22 AM)

Haha right?

wtf.gif confused13.gif

I like Halo Effect but instant sing along classic is a bit much. tongue.gif

The reviewers probably jimped a little because the intro kind of sounds like Natural Science....

Best since Power Windows 1022.gif The title track, The Anarchist, The Wreckers and The Garden are up there with the best Rush has done... the other tracks are none to shabby either.... but god damn those four tracks are special.....On a side note there is a section in The Anarchist that reminds me of The Cult, mibee on their track Rain, I cant remember for sure , It just has a bit of that 'f**k you all' swagger to it...as we say back home in Scotland "This is pure dead brilliant man!!" 653.gif

For me, Wish Them Well is saved by the "turn your back and walk away" parts. I quite like those, even though the rest is not all that special.

The opening chords of The Wreckers are the weakest parts of that song, and don't really fit with the great mood of the rest of it to me. Thankfully they are brief when they appear.

I'll stick up for Halo Effect a bit. I think it's good, although sure, not "instant classic" good.