Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 6 2012, 07:09 AM)
Playing The Garden again, Jesus H, this is HUGE. That piano, those lyrics, the strings.

This is a song by men who have lived, loved and lost, like all of us, but luckily for us, they make something astonishing out of their experiences. This is not something tossed off by some Prog wannabe or some supposed technical wunderkind. This is music to nourish the soul.

It ends with magic.

this.

The Garden is the best thing they've written in many many a year. Simple melody not trying to be too clever, same with the lyrics and it's all beautifully played.....FANTASTIC STUFF

The title track sure is an interesting piece. It's weird, cool, throws back to the 80s in parts (like Power Windows in the verses -- I hear a bit of Middletown Dreams), but is still current and heavy in parts as well. That middle break is just f-ing bizarre. The spritual chant/whispers. A great solo. And it all works for me too.

Strange, killer little number that grows with each listen.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 6 2012, 07:09 AM)
Playing The Garden again, Jesus H, this is HUGE. That piano, those lyrics, the strings.

This is a song by men who have lived, loved and lost, like all of us, but luckily for us, they make something astonishing out of their experiences. This is not something tossed off by some Prog wannabe or some supposed technical wunderkind. This is music to nourish the soul.

It ends with magic.

I listened to it after waking up in the middle of the night and was just blown away.....(again). Really powerful dynamic. Love the build at the end. I'm GLAD they stretched it out too and didn't feel compelled to abbreviate it or fade it out. Reminds me of Bravado in some ways, but more epic sounding than that of course.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 6 2012, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 6 2012, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 6 2012, 07:33 AM)
propogate blood flow to your genitals, the stimulation being likely to cause an erection, at which point we can properly and successfully fornicate....

Goddamn, it's getting sexy in here.

Sounds like a lyric from Counterparts....

I literally LAUGHED out loud here at work. That was awesome!

trink39.gif (and a few bows as well)

CA was the next stand out for me but TG grabbed me 1st listen & had to go on repeat so the rest have suffered as a result but i'll sort that. Don't think it's full of classics tho' ph34r.gif

Not sure if you guys already knew this, but a V0 scene rip finally showed up online. For those that don't know what that means. Most audiophiles consider V0 to be the best MP3 quality. So for many, this will be the best quality you will get for MP3. (Outside of that, the only thing better is lossless/flac or listening to the CD itself).

This is also important, because the leak that we got earlier in the week was said to be a 128 transcoded up to 192 (awful quality). So this should sound much better.

Here is a comparison:

192 (Transcode): (Original leak that most of us have)

http://i.imgur.com/mBfl5.png

V0 CD / Scene Rip: (New leak that just showed up this morning)

http://i.imgur.com/rQ9jT.png

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 11:36 AM)
I can't believe I ever disliked "Clockwork Angels". It's become one of my favorite songs on this album, easily.

Seems to be the case for many people here.

Interesting...looking forward to hearing it.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 10:52 AM)
Not sure if you guys already knew this, but a V0 scene rip finally showed up online. For those that don't know what that means. Most audiophiles consider V0 to be the best MP3 quality. So for many, this will be the best quality you will get for MP3. (Outside of that, the only thing better is lossless/flac or listening to the CD itself).

This is also important, because the leak that we got earlier in the week was said to be a 128 transcoded up to 192 (awful quality). So this should sound much better.

Here is a comparison:

http://narwhaler.com/img/uk/x/not-sure-if-fry-uKXXu6.jpg

I don't analyze waveform, so is this good or bad?

WOW - totally overstrained. This album grows to a vastness I can't describe. It's a Clockwork Universe.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 11:52 AM)

Here is a comparison:

Why is it flatlined on top? Clipping?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 6 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 11:36 AM)
I can't believe I ever disliked "Clockwork Angels". It's become one of my favorite songs on this album, easily.

Seems to be the case for many people here.

Interesting...looking forward to hearing it.

really curious to hear your thoughts.

I'm sitting at home with the flu, listening to the title track and getting all emotional that Rush's music still has this effect on me after 36th years.

It's making being sick suck a little bit less smile.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jun 6 2012, 08:41 AM)

Here is a comparison:

This is just physically showing you the size of the music.

I'll give you an example. Let's say someone gets a 128 version of the album but transcodes it to 320. The file size might show 320 - but it's not really a 320. This chart would show that it's not a 320 (and is really a 128). The spec sizes can't be faked.

So I only posted to show you how the V0 is different from the 128 in terms of the quality. We use this to prove something is a legit format. It's how you check for transcodes. Here is a guide:

http://blowfish.be/eac/Spectral/spectral.html

So basically, 128 vs V0. Choose which one you want.

EDIT: Sorry if that was poorly explained. Basically, I was just showing you that the V0 rip is legit. Someone who is more knowledgable can probably explain the difference/technical details.

For the record, I was not showing these to show the mastering. That's a different kind of chart.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

After listening to it a couple of times, my first impression was that I think it's great! I think it's their best album since Counterparts...

Oh and on another note, to my surprise, my fan pack arrived today. Strange how they never emailed me about it being shipped.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 6 2012, 03:37 PM)
After listening to it a couple of times, my first impression was that I think it's great! I think it's their best album since Counterparts...

Oh and on another note, to my surprise, my fan pack arrived today. Strange how they never emailed me about it being shipped.

Yep...I didn't get a shipment notice either.

I guess it kind of made it a nice surprise anyways!

Now...just waiting to be off work... doh.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 10:36 AM)

It's been a grower for me too. I wasn't doing handstands on my first listen either. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jun 6 2012, 08:41 AM)

Here is a comparison:

This is just physically showing you the size of the music.

I'll give you an example. Let's say someone gets a 128 version of the album but transcodes it to 320. The file size might show 320 - but it's not really a 320. This chart would show that it's not a 320 (and is really a 128).

So I only posted to show you how the V0 is different from the 128 in terms of sound. We use this to prove something is a legit format. It's how you check for transcodes. Here is a guide:

http://blowfish.be/eac/Spectral/spectral.html

So basically, 128 vs V0. Choose which one you want.

EDIT: Sorry if that was poorly explained. Basically, I was just showing you that the V0 rip is legit. Someone who is more knowledgable can probably explain the difference/technical details.

For the record, I was not showing these to show the mastering. That's a different kind of Wav chart.

Makes way more sense to me now, thanks man trink39.gif

Just wanted to take the time to write this,

I became a Rush fan at the age of 14. I had just missed the Vapor Trails release, but I had gotten into them because two of my friends in Middle School were into classic rock. I was first introduced to the band when they lent me 2112, and Grace Under Pressure. I was instantly hooked. Every week my my mother would give me $20 for lunch, and for half a year or so I started skipping lunch for the entire week and would instead go to the local CD store and buy a Rush album on Fridays. I devoured them (studio albums and live releases). I also started posting over on Counter Parts during this year (feels so long ago).

Anyways, to make this short (and not too sappy a post) - I was a fan for the Snakes & Arrows release, and I didn't like it. No, this isn't a post about whether Snakes & Arrows is good or bad (it's completely subjective, and it just happened to be an album I wasn't fond of). Getting to the point, Clockwork Angels is an album I really like. It feels amazing to be a fan and for the first time be apart of a CD release that I actually really like. Obviously I've had this for other bands. But Rush has always been my favorite, so this is extra special for me. I now know how it feels for you life long fans, who were around for all the great releases throughout their momentous career.

So yes, I'm really enjoying this album. But more so, I feel really elated at being able to experience new music from them that I like - something that I didn't get to experience with the rest of their catalogue. Thank you guys as well, for making this a great place to be able to share this experience.

trink39.gif

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 03:01 PM)

I became a Rush fan at the age of 14. I had just missed the Vapor Trails release, but I had gotten into them because two of my friends in Middle School were into classic rock. I was first introduced to the band when they lent me 2112, and Grace Under Pressure. I was instantly hooked and every week my my mother would give me $20 for lunch, and for half a year or so I started skipping lunch for the entire week and would instead go to the local CD store and buy a Rush album on Fridays. I devoured them (studio albums and live releases). I also started posting over on Counter Parts during this year (feels so long ago).

Anyways, to make this short (and not too sappy a post) - I was a fan for the Snakes & Arrows release, and I didn't like it. No, this isn't a post about whether Snakes & Arrows is good or bad (it's completely subjective, and it just happened to be an album I wasn't fond of). Getting to the point, Clockwork Angels is an album I really like. It feels amazing to be a fan and for the first time be apart of a CD release that I actually really like. Obviously I've had this for other bands. But Rush has always been my favorite, so this is extra special for me. I now know how it feels for you life long fans, who were around for all the great releases throughout their momentous career.

So yes, I'm really enjoying this album. But more so, I feel really elated at being able to experience new music from them that I like - something that I didn't get to experience with the rest of their catalogue. Thank you guys as well, for making this a great place to be able to share this experience.

trink39.gif

good stuff gale

i became a fan around the same age, but for me, i just missed the presto release, so rtb was my first new release as a fan, for which i also used my school's lunch hour to run and pick up that cd. imagine hearing dreamline to open up your new first release... cool.gif

trink39.gif 2.gif

Edited by gedfan

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 6 2012, 01:01 PM)

I became a Rush fan at the age of 14, I had just missed the Vapor Trails release

I too became a fan at 14, except it was 1976 smile.gif

and I'm just as excited for CA as I've ever been for any Rush album 1022.gif

I became a Rush fan at the age of 14. I had just missed the Vapor Trails release, but I had gotten into them because two of my friends in Middle School were into classic rock. I was first introduced to the band when they lent me 2112, and Grace Under Pressure. I was instantly hooked. Every week my my mother would give me $20 for lunch, and for half a year or so I started skipping lunch for the entire week and would instead go to the local CD store and buy a Rush album on Fridays. I devoured them (studio albums and live releases). I also started posting over on Counter Parts during this year (feels so long ago).

trink39.gif

I also became a Rush fan at 14, except I missed the Snakes and Arrows release by 8 months (I became a fan in January 2008).

I share the same sentiments. Even though I had been a fan for 4 years, I feel elated, amazed, and even surprised to finally be part of a new studio album release as a fan. I'm listening to the whole album again (lossless this time) as I speak, but for me personally (and this has nothing to do with the fact I'm experiencing a new album release for the first time), I'm really enjoying the album, and I think it's a top 10 album for me. The songs flow together really nicely, but also I think they stand well on their own. Some people complain that the album is longer than it should be, but for me, I don't see any flaw with how long the album is, and actually I feel like the album sounds shorter than 66 minutes.

Overall, I think this is a better album than Snakes and Arrows, and like I said earlier, I think this is their best album since Counterparts. Other than the obvious faves, Caravan, BU2B, and (to a lesser extent) Headlong Flight, the tracks that stood out to me most were Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold, The Anarchist, Clockwork Angels, and The Garden. The latter two being two of my top 3 favorite CA tracks (Caravan's the other song).

Will Geddy use a megaphone live?

...for say, the vocals during the middle "jazzy" section of Clockwork Angels?

Or will they just flip on an effect? (Or, perhaps those vocal parts will just be pre-recorded so Ged can jam around the stage?)

I can't imagine seeing this: rofl3.gif

http://www.mymedialibrary.com/ged-fone.jpg

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 6 2012, 04:51 PM)

trink39.gif

I also became a Rush fan at 14, except I missed the Snakes and Arrows release by 8 months (I became a fan in January 2008).

I share the same sentiments. Even though I had been a fan for 4 years, I feel elated, amazed, and even surprised to finally be part of a new studio album release as a fan. I'm listening to the whole album again (lossless this time) as I speak, but for me personally (and this has nothing to do with the fact I'm experiencing a new album release for the first time), I'm really enjoying the album, and I think it's a top 10 album for me. The songs flow together really nicely, but also I think they stand well on their own. Some people complain that the album is longer than it should be, but for me, I don't see any flaw with how long the album is, and actually I feel like the album sounds shorter than 66 minutes.

Overall, I think this is a better album than Snakes and Arrows, and like I said earlier, I think this is their best album since Counterparts. Other than the obvious faves, Caravan, BU2B, and (to a lesser extent) Headlong Flight, the tracks that stood out to me most were Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold, The Anarchist, Clockwork Angels, and The Garden. The latter two being two of my top 3 favorite CA tracks (Caravan's the other song).

I'm glad ya'll are getting this experience. A new Rush release that you really dig is very special. My first new release was really GUP (Signals was the current release by about a month when I started to really get into them). I really liked GUP. But then came PoW, and I was just absolutely nuts for that album. Still am. It's a very fun time, having new Rush music that blows you away. After PoW, I spent the late eighties and nineties trying to like new Rush albums as much as PoW, but ultimately only really enjoying a hnadful of songs that much. I feel lucky, though. Starting with VT, I have enjoyed each new Rush album more than the last. It makes Rush really fun.