Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

Just on my second listen and it's what I was expecting more or less. I love the music but once again, it's too damn loud. Not as bad as VT, but come on guys. Have they learned nothing from Steven Wilson about how to record a audiophile quality record. I'm just happy the music is so fantastic. If they make another album, I hope they ditch the producer and Chycki and hire Wilson. Problem solved!

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:13 PM)
Just on my second listen and it's what I was expecting more or less. I love the music but once again, it's too damn loud. Not as bad as VT, but come on guys. Have they learned nothing from Steven Wilson about how to record a audiophile quality record. I'm just happy the music is so fantastic. If they make another album, I hope they ditch the producer and Chycki and hire Wilson. Problem solved!

If i have any criticisms about this album, its gonna be the mix/mastering. I'm loving the songs but I'm starting to bum out a little at how harsh the wall of sound is. Definitely didnt have this problem with S&A. Chycki should have just mixed this one as well eh.gif

Maybe Wilson can do the 5.1 mix smile.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 7 2012, 07:16 PM)
I can't get enough of the killer bass line in The Anarchist! I was blaring it in the car this morning and I felt like it came through the speakers and just smacked me in the face bitchslap.gif biggrin.gif

I compleeeeeeeeetely agree! The Anarchist bass line and chord progression in the chorus/post chorus bit is an absolute CLASSIC

653.gif

smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 7 2012, 08:18 PM)
About to go on a long walk by myself where I'll be listening to the entire album in its entirety. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sounds like heaven. 653.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 7 2012, 10:57 PM)
Part of me wants to say the album is awesome all the way through, but some songs haven't clicked as well as others yet. The only one I know I DON'T like for sure is BU2B2. Still working on it though!

I'd say that if BU2B2 is the only one you don't care for, then this one is an absolute winner.

It doesn't do much for me either...but I can understand the context in terms of the 'concept'. I don't see it as a stand-alone track at all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 7 2012, 09:57 PM)
Part of me wants to say the album is awesome all the way through, but some songs haven't clicked as well as others yet. The only one I know I DON'T like for sure is BU2B2. Still working on it though!

Bu2b2 to me is not even a song......just an important lyrical piece of the story with background strings.

it's filler dude plus try not to work too hard to like the tune. i knew right away it sucked. tongue.gif

Anybody else finding The Anarchist to be unbelievably good? That bass is absolutely killer and the guitar sounds like it could have come from Permanent Waves. Plus the chorus vocals f'ing rock. This one is really standing out for me.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jun 7 2012, 10:04 PM)
Anybody else finding The Anarchist to be unbelievably good? That bass is absolutely killer and the guitar sounds like it could have come from Permanent Waves. Plus the chorus vocals f'ing rock. This one is really standing out for me.

definitely a kick ass tune.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 11:07 PM)

yes.gif

Got the fanpack yesterday! YAY!

It is a killer pack, and a very nice keyring! yes.gif

Regarding the music I have only had 1 listen, but there is gold there I heard that instantly! Which is unusual.

It IS the best since Counterparts. Time will tell if it is better than Counterparts.

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jun 7 2012, 06:22 PM)
I've listened 7 or 8 times, and I'm currently at the point that I really like every song. I have even come to appreciate Caravan and BU2B much more than I did before (I was very lukewarm on these songs through the whole Time Machine tour).

Favorite song is Clockwork Angels (so much going on there). Least favorite is Wish Them Well, although I've come to appreciate it now that I've read the liner notes pre-story. This is new for me.....usually lyrics/meaning don't really have a big effect on whether or not I like a song.

I am also astounded at how well this album flows. I don't usually pay attention to this aspect of a recording, but it really jumps out at me here. A universally relatable life story and the songs totally fit each situation to my ears. Wonderful!

I would be thrilled to hear any of these songs in concert, and indeed I would like them to play the entire album! Come on September!!!

trink39.gif

(Edited for html fail)

goodpost.gif

I was flicking throught The Sun newspaper here in the UK this morning, and as I reached the album review pages, a red square caught my eye at the bottom of the page. It was of course the CA cover.

I'm happy (and also quite surprised) to report they gave it 5 out of 5, and the review mentioned the fact that Rush didn't get the memo that bands nearing 60 shouldn't be putting out this kind of music. Basically, it was a review full of praise for the album!! In a national newspaper, probably the biggest selling one in the UK! 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 10:07 PM)

Its fantastic.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:24 PM)
Also, I recall hearing some people don't like Seven Cities...

How?

Awesome stuff here...I especially the pre-verse parts that Alex is playing. Such an awesome groove IMO. 1022.gif

I know right?? Seems under-appreciated (so far) Total kick ass tune, currently my favorite on the album

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 7 2012, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:13 PM)

If i have any criticisms about this album, its gonna be the mix/mastering. I'm loving the songs but I'm starting to bum out a little at how harsh the wall of sound is. Definitely didnt have this problem with S&A. Chycki should have just mixed this one as well eh.gif

Maybe Wilson can do the 5.1 mix smile.gif

I believe I am agreeing with you guys on this. SW could have done some great stuff with this.

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 8 2012, 06:37 AM)
I was flicking throught The Sun newspaper here in the UK this morning, and as I reached the album review pages, a red square caught my eye at the bottom of the page. It was of course the CA cover.

I'm happy (and also quite surprised) to report they gave it 5 out of 5, and the review mentioned the fact that Rush didn't get the memo that bands nearing 60 shouldn't be putting out this kind of music. Basically, it was a review full of praise for the album!! In a national newspaper, probably the biggest selling one in the UK! 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif

excellent.

i know there was the classic rock thing lately but as a uk citizen we dont get anywhere near enough mention of our fav band in the uk media, nothing on tv certainly and nothing in newspapers, its a joke really.

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 8 2012, 11:37 AM)

Holy SHIT!

Great to see them in such a mainstream paper.

"5/5

Rush - Clockwork Angels

If Rush, at their age, are meant to be winding down towards a cosy retirement, they don't seem to have got the memo.

Clockwork Angels, their 20th studio album, is a work of staggering energy and invention which eclipses anything they've done in the past 20 years.

It's raw, frenetic, epic, deeply emotional and wonderfully alive. It's also packed with soaring melodies.

These three Canadian rock veterans, in what should be their twilight years, are fizzing again like 25-year-olds, and are right back at the top of their game.

A truly remarkable rebirth."

Wow, for a UK tabloid review, that's pretty spectacular.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 10:01 PM)
Part of me wants to say the album is awesome all the way through, but some songs haven't clicked as well as others yet.  The only one I know I DON'T like for sure is BU2B2.  Still working on it though!

it's filler dude plus try not to work too hard to like the tune. i knew right away it sucked. tongue.gif

I'm Sorry but BU2B2 doesn't suck as the Discovery from 2112 doesn't suck. It's not a filler, it's one of the most important parts of the story line and I think it does it's job very well.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif