Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 4 2012, 12:54 PM)
After a few listens The Anarachist is still my favorite. Wow, is it f***ing good.

I like every song and that's something I haven't really been able to say since GUP. Well, BU2B2 seems a little pointless, but it's short and I don't hate it. The Garden really is something special.

It's a little unfair to even rate BU2B2 as a "song", it's just a bit of eerie atmosphere that only works in a concept album and it has its place. I mean, is "On the Run" on Dark Side of the Moon really a song? I like that kind of stuff for sonic flavor.

Edited by snowdog2112

Alright, I'm seeing the error of my ways. Starting to really dig "Clockwork Angels".

I think the melodies were throwing me off at first (especially once the song first starts out).

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 12:58 PM)
Alright, I'm seeing the error of my ways. Starting to really dig "Clockwork Angels".

I think the melodies were throwing me off at first (especially once the song first starts out).

I don't think I've ever made such a drastic and quick turnaround as I have with that song. It's terrific but it's just not easy listening, it's a challenge in the best way. My first listen was about as disappointing as any Rush song in memory and now I'm just loving it.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 01:59 PM)
Who else is liking the 3 older singles more in context of full album? I sure am enjoying them more....the songs seem to enhance one another....a very cohesive album to me with great flow.

I love them even more now, they are the best 3 songs off the album - IMO.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:00 PM)

I don't think I've ever made such a drastic and quick turnaround as I have with that song. It's terrific but it's just not easy listening, it's a challenge in the best way. My first listen was about as disappointing as any Rush song in memory and now I'm just loving it.

Kind of like an average looking woman who turns you on with her nature and personality with repeated dates and then you fall in love, not first time infatuation.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 03:00 PM)

Kinda like "La Villa"? wink.gif Think about how challenging and "pieced together" that song sounded on the first listen.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:00 PM)

Kind of like an average looking woman who turns you on with her nature and personality with repeated dates and then you fall in love, not first time infatuation.

More like a supermodel who is wearing 18 layers of bulky clothing and a ski cap and then slowly takes of one piece at a time. laugh.gif

Who else is liking the 3 older singles more in context of full album? I sure am enjoying them more....the songs seem to enhance one another....a very cohesive album to me with great flow.

hf yes the other 2 no.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 4 2012, 02:04 PM)
Halo Effect 6/10
Seven Cities of Gold 6/10
The wreckers 7/10
Headlong Flight 6/10
BU2B2 5/10
Wish Them Well 2/10
The Garden 9/10

Avg close to 6.5

how's the on base percentage?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 02:06 PM)
Who else is liking the 3 older singles more in context of full album?  I sure am enjoying them more....the songs seem to enhance one another....a very cohesive album to me with great flow.

hf yes the other 2 no.

Yeah, I esp like HF more....nice upbeat rocker in the mix

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 02:09 PM)
Halo Effect 6/10
The wreckers 7/10
Headlong Flight 6/10
BU2B2 5/10
Wish Them Well 2/10
The Garden 9/10

Avg close to 6.5

rofl3.gif

Well, it's an album by my favourite band. What else can I say? These days come along only once in five years or so, and probably will only happen again once or hopefully twice.

So cherish this day.

You just heard a new Rush album.

I like this a lot. I like it more than VT and S&A. I like the melodies, I like that most of the songs are more up-beat than their previous two albums.

After few listens The Anarchist is still my favourite song of the album. Reminds me of late 80's, early 90's Rush, which is the era when I discovered them.

I can't get enough of The Clockwork Angels. Awesome work.

Just awesome.

But I'm biased.

I'm a rabid Rush-fan.

Very good :

BU2B

Headlong Fight

The Garden

Clockwork Angels

Good :

Carnies

The Wreckers

Wish Them Well

Caravan

So So :

The Anarchist

Halo Effect

Seven Cities of Gold

7/10

biggrin.gif smile.gif schla03.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 4 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 02:09 PM)
Halo Effect 6/10
The wreckers 7/10
Headlong Flight 6/10
BU2B2 5/10
Wish Them Well 2/10
The Garden 9/10

Avg close to 6.5

rofl3.gif

Ask Geddy....he knows Baseball well. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 03:00 PM)

Kinda like "La Villa"? wink.gif Think about how challenging and "pieced together" that song sounded on the first listen.

Exactly. The best and my favorite Rush songs always gave me that WTF on initial impression. Clockwork Angels sounded weird on first listen, but that's a good thing. Based on everyone else's reactions I have a feeling it is destined to be my favorite off the album

After 1 listen, the first 3 releases are still my favorites and The Wrecker is my favorite of the new stuff, but as I said this always changed for me after numerous listens. The Garden is really interesting for them.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 4 2012, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 02:42 PM)
Where did you guys find it?

I'm sure you can find it on your own. Don't look for any help here. We're not allowed to point you in that direction.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74499

Dude you're going to have a busy day.

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

Yeah, no shit! Glad I have the day off from work. laugh.gif

Nvrmind found it! Haha trink38.gif

I'll alert the media. wink.gif

I should prolly stop comin around here biggrin.gif

Third listening going on.

Sounds better and better. This is their most energetic record in very long time. It doesn't make me yawn or anything like that. I really enjoy what I'm listening. VT and T4E had lots of fillers when CA doesn't have more than maybe 1 or 2.

Caravan is top5 song from last 20 years. It's just that great. The new mix makes it sound even better!

Clockwork Angels still does nothing to me. Just too messy and lacks great melodies. Too bad. Maybe it's like Natural Science which really didn't click me untill I had listened it like 6-7 times and now I think it's the best song Rush has ever done.

The Anarchist is pretty nice song actually. I still don't remember too much of it but I remember enjoying it when I listened it like 40 minutes ago lol.

Carnies has awesome chorus and nice guitar solo.

Halo Effect reminds me of S&A. Short but sweet.

Seven Cities of Gold has that great bass intro and some better guitar riffs by Alex. I actually like the chorus very much. My biggest problem is still Geddy's high pitch singing. Will be difficult song to sing live.

The Wrecker is a strong song but I have to be careful to not listen it too much. Probably the best chorus in the whole album. Only think I don't like that much is the piercing guitar in chorus. It's too loud or something.

Wish Them Well is pretty nice song actually. It's too long yes but it has positive feeling and pretty catchy melodies and I also like Alex's solo. This just shows how coherent and constant this album is.

The Garden. Well what can I say? Very uplifting but still melancholic song. Geddy's voice sound amazing. Why can't he sing more like that!? Love the strings love the acoustic guitar love the middle part and love the Alex's solo. Some parts remind me of Trains by Porcupine Tree for some reason .

Very solid album. 7/10 or 8/10 atm so it's a bit worse than Signals, GUP and Counterparts and a bit better than HYF. Positively surprised after all.

Oh my......The Anarchist is going to blow the roof off of many a venue if they do it live.....What a riff....raw and energetic....

The sub bass during that break that's like Beneath, Between and Behind....

It's giving my Bass Woofer some serious trouble.....

Can't wait to get the Fan Pack and get it into the car stereo....

Such a great time....new Rush.....whooo hooo !

Yeah, I liked Wish Them Well even from the samples and the full song hasn't changed that. It's not the greatest or anything but there's more than one part that's very Who sounding and I love that. Certainly not a throwaway to me.