Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 4 2012, 01:08 PM)
Just caught this lyric from The Garden: "The watchmaker has time up his sleeve." Goosebumps moment.

Not a huge fan of the strings on there but this is a really beautiful song!

When was the last time you heard a really beautiful song from Rush? tongue.gif

And I agree....

My rip isn't all that great. A bit muddy. Found myself turning it DOWN in the car, but no doubt it's just the quality of this leak. (Based on Headlong Flight, the sound is going to be ACES on this record...but for an early listen I can't complain).

Looking forward to a headphone listen soon.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2012, 01:11 PM)
My rip isn't all that great. A bit muddy. Found myself turning it DOWN in the car, but no doubt it's just the quality of this leak. (Based on Headlong Flight, the sound is going to be ACES on this record...but for an early listen I can't complain).

Just did a headphone listen, real solid album. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 4 2012, 01:10 PM)
This album could be the best thing they've done for a long time, but that isn't saying much.

Im surprised you sorta, kinda, maybe like it just a wee teeny bit.... biggrin.gif

To me, its not up there at all with their peak albums 30 plus years sgo, but so far, more impressive than anything post HYF.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 12:27 PM)
i put in my review and THEN read the entire thread. shockingly, my review seems to be one of the better ones by far! ohmy.gif

i did NOT see that coming. no.gif

my chief complaint right now is the sound quality, but i know that's because i'm listening to a crappy mp3. i'm looking forward to greatly increased sound quality and instrument separation with the CD. yes.gif

Yeah, me too. It's not the greatest quality, but it's a preview copy. LOL. I'll ENJOY that enhanced clarity next week. THIS isn't it, sadly. But good enough.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 01:56 PM)
If anyone needs help with RAR files or whatever, just PM me. I'm a snotty 24 year old that has wasted much of his life on computers and know a lot about RAR files.

tongue.gif

Not that we want to aid and abet people on how to open illegal ZIP or RAR files....right? wink.gif

Please, no help with how to get or use the leaked files. It's not TRF's job to police the internet -- people will get the leaks with or without this board's help. We'd rather they do it without.

He didnt mention anything about a leak. He just offered to explain how to open RAR files. That's not illegal.

Opening most RAR files is not illegal. Opening RAR files that contain illegally pirated copyrighted material IS, at least as far as this board is concerned.

I know Henry meant no harm, so no ill will towards him. But opening an RAR file is extremely easy once you have the right app. It's easily Googled.

I had no problem getting CA in mp3 320. 1022.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 4 2012, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2012, 01:11 PM)
My rip isn't all that great.  A bit muddy.  Found myself turning it DOWN in the car, but no doubt it's just the quality of this leak.  (Based on Headlong Flight, the sound is going to be ACES on this record...but for an early listen I can't complain).

Just did a headphone listen, real solid album. trink39.gif

That'll help for sure. Thanks! trink39.gif And I'm busy at work, so this day just blows. I'll go home and give a SERIOUS listen or two.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 12:54 PM)
Clockwork Angels the song is extremely proggy yes?

Yes lots of parts. It struck me as a little messy. Maybe I need to digest it more.

That's definitely necessary.

I listened to the whole album straight through once and the title track made me go "WTF, there were a couple neat things but that was just a mess..." After finishing the album once I've gone back and just focused on that song and in the space of 6 listens I went from "Oh man, how disappointing.." to "Actually, I do like some of the parts but they're clumsily put together..." to "I really like the ascending chorus (I guess that's what it is) and the guitar solo has some specific note choices that are very Eric Johnson-like..." to "Wow, it was so chaotic before I didn't realize how great that clean arpeggiated guitar part is, I've wanted to hear more of that from Alex for ages, that's awesome..." to "Holy crap, that post solo bluesy/talky/WTF section is unbelievably neat, I was just lost before by the time I got to this point..." Now I'm just really digging it and I'm completely comfortable with all the changes and some of Geddy's vocals are just soaring and huge. And that post solo part is now just exciting beyond belief to me. I love it!

Spend some time absorbing it. smile.gif

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 4 2012, 01:07 PM)
Im REALLY loving the Anarchist, esp. The Middle Eastern flavors and Alex's Mid East solo....also the song has a fantastic groove and tightness with great chops.

yes i can taste the cumin, tumeric, and coriander in there. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 07:23 PM)
Im REALLY loving the Anarchist, esp. The Middle Eastern flavors and Alex's Mid East solo....also the song has a fantastic groove and tightness with great chops.

Not the first time you've tasted the cumin I bet...

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:21 PM)

Yes lots of parts. It struck me as a little messy. Maybe I need to digest it more.

I listened to the whole album straight through once and the title track made me go "WTF, there were a couple neat things but that was just a mess..." After finishing the album once I've gone back and just focused on that song and in the space of 6 listens I went from "Oh man, how disappointing.." to "Actually, I do like some of the parts but they're clumsily put together..." to "I really like the ascending chorus (I guess that's what it is) and the guitar solo has some specific note choices that are very Eric Johnson-like..." to "Wow, it was so chaotic before I didn't realize how great that clean arpeggiated guitar part is, I've wanted to hear more of that from Alex for ages, that's awesome..." to "Holy crap, that post solo bluesy/talky/WTF section is unbelievably neat, I was just lost before by the time I got to this point..." Now I'm just really digging it and I'm completely comfortable with all the changes and some of Geddy's vocals are just soaring and huge. And that post solo part is now just exciting beyond belief to me. I love it!

Same thing with me....songs needs proper digestion before proper absorption. Once in the blood, you're hooked and want more! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 4 2012, 01:25 PM)

rofl3.gif

Love the Album!

For the record, first time posting so my back story with Rush :

I love the old stuff, but I really came of age with the newer. I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks Vapor Trails is their most complete album from start to finish.

This album is amazing, and a huge step above S&A. It has potential to rival Vapor Trails for me but that will take a lot of listens, I have so many memories with that album exploring the Canadian wilderness that really put that album into a class all its own.

Standout tracks :

Clockwork Angels : a phenomenal exploration, and I personally like their prog more than their classic. They nailed it here.

The Anarchist : love the middle eastern sound and over all sound.

The Wreckers : What others have said, this should be a single, and may actually be successful in modern music radio play. A very moving song

Halo Effect : I actually really like this song, but I tend to like Rush's more melodic tracks.

The Garden : If you don't like this track you sir/or maam (wait lets not kid ourselves ... sir). Have no emotion or heart tongue.gif.

Overall opinion of this album :

Phenomenal album from start to finish, complex, diverse, hard rocking and melodic. Experimental at times and structured mastery at others. The thing that's emerging overtime for me is the progression of the story, it starts to reveal itself with more listens and lyrical understanding.

All in all, best in a long time, top 5 albums for sure for me. Though those for me are Vapor Trails, 2112, Counterparts, Presto, and Power Windows.

Enjoy this one, who knows if it's their last, if it is, it's a high note to go out on for sure.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:21 PM)

Cool! cool.gif Does Clockwork Angels (the song) have some of the 12/8 groove and vibe of One Of These Days by Pink Floyd? It seemed to me that it might be headed in that direction from the first preview clip.

havent heard it yet but i think my biggest beef is going to be the production. I don't love the HF mix. Found it a bit harsh. now im seeing similar complaints about the rest of the album. eh.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 4 2012, 01:25 PM)

now THAT was awesome rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:33 PM)
havent heard it yet but i think my biggest beef is going to be the production. I don't love the HF mix. Found it a bit harsh. now im seeing similar complaints about the rest of the album. eh.gif

i probably won't hear what you're hearing since i don't find much wrong with vapor trails. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Aeolian @ Jun 4 2012, 01:29 PM)
Love the Album!

For the record, first time posting so my back story with Rush :

I love the old stuff, but I really came of age with the newer. I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks Vapor Trails is their most complete album from start to finish.

This album is amazing, and a huge step above S&A. It has potential to rival Vapor Trails for me but that will take a lot of listens, I have so many memories with that album exploring the Canadian wilderness that really put that album into a class all its own.

Standout tracks :

Clockwork Angels : a phenomenal exploration, and I personally like their prog more than their classic. They nailed it here.

The Anarchist : love the middle eastern sound and over all sound.

The Wreckers : What others have said, this should be a single, and may actually be successful in modern music radio play. A very moving song

Halo Effect : I actually really like this song, but I tend to like Rush's more melodic tracks.

The Garden : If you don't like this track you sir/or maam (wait lets not kid ourselves ... sir). Have no emotion or heart tongue.gif.

Overall opinion of this album :

Phenomenal album from start to finish, complex, diverse, hard rocking and melodic. Experimental at times and structured mastery at others. The thing that's emerging overtime for me is the progression of the story, it starts to reveal itself with more listens and lyrical understanding.

All in all, best in a long time, top 5 albums for sure for me. Though those for me are Vapor Trails, 2112, Counterparts, Presto, and Power Windows.

Enjoy this one, who knows if it's their last, if it is, it's a high note to go out on for sure.

Welcome to the Rush Forum! You couldn't come at a better time. Yesterday, the CA section of the forum was corrupted.

trink39.gif