Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 12:16 PM)
like geddy's bass on seven cities. GeddyFinal.gif

That's what I'm talking about. This is currently my favorite...but I'm sure that will change.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2012, 12:45 PM)
My only issue right now with CA is the bass sound. It doesn't sounded defined enough for me. Yes very present, but it lacks the clarity I was hoping for. It almost pounds too much in spots.

Unless you have the official release, you may want to reserve judgement on things like the mix, etc.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2012, 06:45 PM)
My only issue right now with CA is the bass sound. It doesn't sounded defined enough for me. Yes very present, but it lacks the clarity I was hoping for. It almost pounds too much in spots.

Remember what you are listening to. 192kbps mp3!!!

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 4 2012, 01:48 PM)

Unless you have the official release, you may want to reserve judgement on things like the mix, etc.

Understood. I can say that with MP3s, I always notice the fluttering high end, not so much on the bass end. :\

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 4 2012, 01:54 PM)
Clockwork Angels the song is extremely proggy yes?

The Proggiest on the release, IMO.

laugh.gif did you just complain about the sound quality of a leak?

rofl3.gif

I agree Clockwork Angels is the most proggiest. But I still find it sluggish, and meandering. Musically it really does nothing for me.

I would take a song like Headlong Flight any day over it.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 4 2012, 02:01 PM)

laugh.gif did you just complain about the sound quality of a leak?

rofl3.gif

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 01:56 PM)
If anyone needs help with RAR files or whatever, just PM me. I'm a snotty 24 year old that has wasted much of his life on computers and know a lot about RAR files.

tongue.gif

Not that we want to aid and abet people on how to open illegal ZIP or RAR files....right? wink.gif

Please, no help with how to get or use the leaked files. It's not TRF's job to police the internet -- people will get the leaks with or without this board's help. We'd rather they do it without.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:03 PM)
If anyone needs help with RAR files or whatever, just PM me. I'm a snotty 24 year old that has wasted much of his life on computers and know a lot about RAR files.

tongue.gif

Not that we want to aid and abet people on how to open illegal ZIP or RAR files....right? wink.gif

Please, no help with how to get or use the leaked files. It's not TRF's job to police the internet -- people will get the leaks with or without this board's help. We'd rather they do it without.

He didnt mention anything about a leak. He just offered to explain how to open RAR files. That's not illegal.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 11:45 AM)
VERY INITIAL UNCENSORED IMPRESSIONS WARNING:

Only listened to once so far, so this could all change.

Caravan - improved mix, still don't love the song, but sounds cool - edited in: i actually think this song could grow on me having heard the whole album, something i haven't felt in a long while with this song - i doubt i'll ever outright love it, but anything's possible...

BU2B - intro is interesting, mix is improved, the lyrics are still terrible and kill the song for me - i think i'll need to read all the lyrics to see if this somehow magically falls into the story in such a way that it will all make sense, but on it's own it still fails for me, and it has to work on its own.

Clockwork Angels - GREAT song. Awesome solo - love how it breaks down into the slower section. I seriously need to see the lyrics on this one. This song has enough changes that I'd actually dub it with the term prog, but definitely "prog metal." No commercial appeal at all on this song, but that's not a bad thing!

The Anarchist - the 2nd 30 second clip did NOT do this song justice! Very interesting track that goes in cool directions - yay, it's not verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo, etc.! One guitar riff at the beginning of the song reminds me of MP-era, but it's brief. I REALLY need the lyrics on this song to see how well the lyrics work, but what I could make out sounded cool.

Carnies - again, a lot better than the 2nd 30 second clip let on - cool sound effects and instrumentation. not my fave song, but pretty good - again, knowing the lyrics would REALLY help!

Halo Effect - love the acoustic opening - very reminiscent of the 70's, but with definitely a more modern sounding Geddy. some nice melodies going on in this song - late 80's/early 90's feel to them - has lots of potential. i like that the song is short - doesn't get too ambitious, doesn't outstay its welcome.

Seven Cities of Gold - MAJORLY cool funky opening! Reminds me vaguely of VT in the way some of the lines are sung, but the instrumentation thankfully is much more interesting. The 30 second clip made him saying "Seven Cities of Gold" sound repetitive and annoying, but thankfully that's not the case - the chorus is actually nicely melodic with great lyrics (what I can make out) and has a very anthemic feel, and some of the guitar riffage in this song is REALLY cool. I would have loved a slightly less atmospheric and more distinct guitar solo, but still it sounded pretty cool. Again, somewhat proggy - nice changes. this song is a lot better than i thought it would be.

BU2B2 - this probably fits really well in the context of the album lyrically (which I can't read yet), but on its own I really don't like the lyrics AT ALL, but it sounds cool. i predict this and BU2B will be by far my least fave tracks - i simply don't like them on their own, even though i understand they're part of a larger concept.

The Wreckers - reminds me of Presto era in places. ok, so why the F*CK wasn't this the first single??? it's simple, it's catchy, it's accessible, it's not overly long, it's melodic, it's got some nice orchestral production touches that aren't overdone - this song has the biggest hit potential by far. admittedly, this was a guaranteed hit in 1991 - whether it would have a shot today or not, i have no idea.

Headlong Flight - skipped this as I wanted to get to the other tracks I haven't heard, but this song has been growing on me a lot lately. it's definitely one of the more accessible songs on the album.

Wish Them Well - i like the simplicity of this song when contrasted with a lot of songs that try to do a lot more - has somewhat of a more old school feel - nice melodies - the lyrics that i can make out sound pretty damn cool. this MIGHT be one of the weaker songs, but if that's the case, the standard set is pretty high as this is still pretty damn cool.

The Garden - there's no song i wish more that i had the lyrics to - what I can discern is really cool. could this song be this album's armor and sword? possibly. i doubt any song on this album will have quite the impact THAT song did on me, but if anyone might, it's this one... once i can read all the lyrics - it's really quite a beautiful song with some spinechilling moments - especially the part before the solo, and the solo is a very nice one - pretty clear. this song is destined to become a latter-day Rush classic.

Preliminary Thoughts:

strings not as prominent as i though they would be (which is fine)

geddy's voice sounds a lot better than i thought it would (which is great)

i was really afraid most of the songs would be a slave to the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/verse/chorus etc. format, but very few were, and the ones that did really don't bother me, in fact they're a welcome reprieve from the songs that go off in a lot more directions.

more than any other era, i get a presto/rtb feel to some of these songs, but thankfully done much better than most of those songs, and a good bit harder edged - often with a VT heaviness, but with songs that are a million times better all around.

the only songs i really strongly don't like are BU2B and BU2B2, but even still, they're not horrible or embarrassing or anything - i just don't care for the subject matter and it drags down the songs for me personally.

i wish there were a few more old school guitar solos (longer and clearer) on the album, but it's a minor complaint.

the album is a LOT better than i hoped - i was hoping to love 2 or 3 songs, and while it's way too early to tell how these songs will age to me, i think that might have been conservative - i'm VERY happy after the first listen! biggrin.gif

Going to print this for later reading...! Thanks for taking the time to write, well, something. (I've not yet read it). biggrin.gif But you're passionate and I admire that...

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 01:01 PM)
I agree Clockwork Angels is the most proggiest. But I still find it sluggish, and meandering. Musically it really does nothing for me.

I would take a song like Headlong Flight any day over it.

CA title song is spread out a lot, but the more I digest it and remember it in my mind, the more I like it.

Listened to it for the first time...

ohmy.gif

My brain is having a hard time processing all of this, especially after just one listen, but wow! I am so impressed and the samples did no justice to any of the songs. Well, maybe The Wreckers! I knew that was gonna be awesome.

Standout tracks are: Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, The Wreckers, and The Garden

The only tracks that I feel I need to listen to better before I can make an appropriate judgement if I like them or not are Carnies and Seven Cities of Gold. Both had awesome moments, and yet at other times, I still felt bummed down.

I loved hearing the remixes of Caravan and BU2B. They are a lot more stronger than they were before. I feel bad for Headlong Flight though. sad.gif I think for awhile it's going to be the "forgotten child" for awhile since I've been listening to it a lot. It's still really good, but right now the other songs are more interesting for me to hear right now. Hell, I skipped HF when listening to the entire album.

The title track was simply stunning and I loved the changes in the song. I thought there were so many great moments and the solo was great! I still think the prayer chant at the beginning and end is awesome. I actually almost had a few tears in my eyes from the sheer amazingness of this song, however, another one of the highlights would do that for me.

The Garden made me have goosebumps and pretty much left me with tears from the sheer beauty and power of something Rush hasn't done before. I'm actually impressed. While the sample clips showed a nice beginning, I actually thought I might have been unimpressed with the clip overall. Man was I really wrong. It went from potentially being at the bottom of my list and is now at the top. Alex's solo was so stunning!

The strings were used perfectly on the album. They didn't use them in overabundance. Just the right amount for textures and add to the atmosphere.

Geddy's vocals were very good considering where Rush is at in their career. The samples didn't do his voice justice and there were many vocal melodies on the album, especially The Wreckers. Why in the world was this song overlooked for Headlong Flight as the single?! This should have been the single to be released. It's very melodic, catchy, beautiful, and well-written. Definitely one of my favorites off the album, and I feel this along with The Garden and Clockwork Angels, it will become a classic. Maybe a bit too optimistic, but these three songs had such a 'classic' vibe about them.

The Anarchist gave such a great vibe from me. I forget who said it, but I think someone said that The Anarchist could fit on Signals or GUP, which is right in the era of Rush that is my favorite. I love the guitar work and Eastern influences in the song. The song was also very melodic and rocked in an awesome way. I definitely heard Rush from the past in there, yet in a modern way. I loved this song right away from the samples, which can only also be said about The Wreckers.

I need to listen to everything again to process more details, but I'm very excited about this album. My first new Rush album released since becoming a fan, and it seems like it's going to easily be in my top 5. Just wow! Thank you Rush! smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:03 PM)

tongue.gif

He didnt mention anything about a leak. He just offered to explain how to open RAR files. That's not illegal.

Opening most RAR files is not illegal. Opening RAR files that contain illegally pirated copyrighted material IS, at least as far as this board is concerned.

I know Henry meant no harm, so no ill will towards him. But opening an RAR file is extremely easy once you have the right app. It's easily Googled.

Just caught this lyric from The Garden: "The watchmaker has time up his sleeve." Goosebumps moment.

Not a huge fan of the strings on there but this is a really beautiful song!