Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

Allrighty....

1.) Test For Echo is my favorite Rush album, my favorite Rush song and my favorite Rush era. The nineties really did it for me, as they were the era that turned me on to Rush. Though you may disagree on me on this point at length BUT, T4E has shoegaze/post rock elements in that song and also the song Totem , with the wall of sound and the delayed guitar.

2.) My least favorite Rush song is Best I Can. But that song is still great and it beats all rap/hip-hop/R&B anyday!

3.) Vapor Trails AND Snakes & Arrows are both excellent albums, as S/A was the first album I bought with my own money and VT was my first digital album to be bought by me. But I really like the variety on S/A and the heaviness on VT

4.) The order of my favorite albums goes like this....

Test For Echo

Signals

Counterparts

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Presto

Roll The Bones

Hemispheres

A Farewell To Kings

Feedback

Caress Of Steel

Fly By Night

Rush

More will follow, I just can't think of any more right now. laugh.gif

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 4 2012, 03:54 PM)
Allrighty....

1.) Test For Echo is my favorite Rush album, my favorite Rush song and my favorite Rush era. The nineties really did it for me, as they were the era that turned me on to Rush. Though you may disagree on me on this point at length BUT, T4E has shoegaze/post rock elements in that song and also the song Totem , with the wall of sound and the delayed guitar.

2.) My least favorite Rush song is Best I Can. But that song is still great and it beats all rap/hip-hop/R&B anyday!

3.) Vapor Trails AND Snakes & Arrows are both excellent albums, as S/A was the first album I bought with my own money and VT was my first digital album to be bought by me. But I really like the variety on S/A and the heaviness on VT

4.) The order of my favorite albums goes like this....

Test For Echo
Signals
Counterparts
Power Windows
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Presto
Roll The Bones
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings
Feedback
Caress Of Steel
Fly By Night
Rush

More will follow, I just can't think of any more right now. laugh.gif

The fact that you have Hemispheres that low on the list is probably enough! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 4 2012, 03:54 PM)
1.) Test For Echo is my favorite Rush album

Excuse me, just going to step out for a quick trip to the hardware store.... I seem to be running low on nails and large wooden planks....

1) Best that I can - I love this song so much. It's just a great rock tune, without all the proggy stuff. I love Prog Rush, but Rush playing straight rock tunes is just awesome. Which brings up point # 2

2) Feedback is just a blast to listen to. Not many people talk about this album, I don't know why. It's so much fun to hear the boys annihilate these songs (in a good way)

3) Making Memories - Boy I love that one little high pitched riff in the song. It's just got an epic feel to it.

4) Snakes and Arrows isn't gonna magically get better for all you S&A haters out there, so stop your bitchin! Just listen to S&A and enjoy.

5) I loved the Live from Cleveland. Even though I hate Cleveland. (Sorry I'm a Pittsburgh guy, and we rock a lot harder than cleveland)

Cool, Glad I got that out of my system

I think Before and After should be played live, as its one of my favorite tracks on the first album.

Hemispheres would be a boring album without The Trees and La Villa on it.

The Camera Eye is my least favorite epic track.

I don't like Between the Wheels and GuP is one of my least favorite albums.

I love Second Nature.

AFTK (the song) is overrated.

I love Hand over Fist.

VT is a good album, in spite of the production.

I love their version of Seven and Seven Is on Feedback.

Far Cry and The Main Monkey Business are the only two songs I really like on S&A.

I love the new CA songs better than anything I have heard from Rush since Counterparts.

Armor and Sword is boring. Emotion Detector is meh.

I would rather listen to their first album than Caress of Steel. Or S&A.

Did I mention I dont like S&A?

Presto (the album) is better than RTB (the album).

Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 3 2012, 09:13 PM)
Not sure how unpopular it is but in my opinion out of 18 studio albums and about 160 songs, there ain't a bad one in the bunch.

Apparently you don't have hair-loss issues or an annoying, reappearing itch laugh.gif

1) Caress of Steel is crap. except for Bastille Day, and a few snippets of other songs, this album was as bad as everyone thought it was when it came out. The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth are disjointed and clumsy. that being said, they would have never come out with 2112 without Carees of Steel.

2) 2112 was my favourite song... just because it was long. in reality, the story is goofy and some sections don't flow together well. i still love it, and when the synth intro came on during the concert last summer, i nearly pissed my pants.

3) Hemispheres, with the exception of Circumstances and La Villa Strangiato, is far too overrated. the title track drags on for far too long going on about greek mythology. Then i feel Neil either got really lazy or really high and decided to finish the story with the space guy from Cygnus X1. i don't get it.

4) Cygnus X1 > Hemispheres. kinda goes with the previous point, but i think i have to say it again.

5) kinda goes with #3; The Trees, while having some great musical moments, is just silly. My mom says it reminds here of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers where the crazy talking trees are all talking and shit.

6) Tom Sawyer is NOT overrated. it is in fact so good, that a cover version is what got me into Rush to begin with.

7) That being said, i wouldn't be heartbroken if i never heard it live again but i would be disappointed. thankfully Rush will always play Tom Sawyer. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

8) if they didn't play Spirit of Radio live at the next tour, i would be heartbroken. It is simply, my favourite song ever.

9) Hold Your Fire was the perfect album to come out at the end of their keyboard phase. so incredibly upbeat. Force Ten, Mission, Prime Mover, Time Stand Still...

I'd almost say this album is better than Power Windows- and i love Marathon. i think the only reason i bought Power Windows on vinyl was so i could hear Marathon.

10) The rap in "Roll the Bones" is hilarious and satirical. "kick some gluteus max" ? do you not see how not-serious that is? z7shysterical.gif

11) Snakes and Arrows is bad ass. the songwriting kicks ass, the lyrics are nearly flawless, the instrumentals are boss, the production is killer. i love every song and i don't know if Clockwork Angels can beat it. best case senario is that this ends up being modern day Rush's Permanent Waves- Moving Pictures one-two punch.

12) I agree with Neil's lyrics about religion. i don't think he's "bashing" religion, he's just writing what he feels. he doesn't write lyrics to cause controversy or to please anyone else, he writes to sooth his own self; just as any other writer or artist should.

13) i still haven't listened to Headlong Flight. tongue.gif

14) speaking of Headlong Flight... i don't understand what that's supposed to mean. how can a flight be long as a head? maybe more learning, i need.

thats all i can think of. trink39.gif

I LOVE ROLL THE BONES.

Is the rap part silly? kinda but I dont care.

I love the melodic sounding corus, it also sounds great live.

I like most sounds with a meloding sounding corus, Nobodys Hero, Animate, The Pass, and especially Show Dont Tell.

I really liked S&A during the first year or so I could listen to the whole album without skipping, as time has gone on there are some songs I like less but as a whole I like the album.

I LOVE Good News First, "Some would say they never fear a thing well I do" is one of my favourite moments of any Rush song ever, I just wished they played it more than once during the song.

I didnt like Vapor Trails, a few good songs but for the most part I skip it.

I love the keyboard era, not all songs but I like alot of them.

I am in my early 20s and I am good friends with a couple guys in their early 40s through the hockey team we watch and both are huge Rush fans as well, but our opinions on Rush differ greatly. They are pretty much of the opinion of screw all Rush albums past the early 80s (with a couple exceptions) where as I love the 80s and 90s, the 70s dont do it as much for me.

There are a few songs from MOST albums that I always skip.

Armor & Sword is epic to me, not AN epic, just epic sounding.

I DONT CARE ABOUT LYRICS.

A lot of people seem to get hung up about what Neil was writing about and trying to get in his head "the lyrics are sub par and I cant get into em" Somebody nailed it earlier in the thread when they said I dont even know what half the songs are about, I just listen because the music rocks. I like the flow of it, they could be singing we kill babies and hail hitler but if it flowed the exact same way with the same music i probably wouldnt even notice.

I dont get hung up about Geddys live voice, when I am rocking out at the concert I really dont care what so ever.

People who go "the production value sucks" somebody else nailed it earlier when they mention how some people go "I cant believe you cant hear that terrible sound" guess what I dont.

/end rant

I really like this topic, so I just had to register.

Hi everybody! bekloppt.gif

Now, here is the deal:

- If we're talking about studio versions, I would say "Freeze" is my

favourite song in the "fear" series. ph34r.gif The studio recordings of the

last 2 songs on MP plus most of Signals and GuP are to thin

sounding. If they had the same power as in the GuP live video, that

period could probably be my favourite. Much more guitar, but no less

keyboard. 1022.gif

- Most overrated album: Counterparts. Can't see

what's so special about it. People talk all the time

about "the best thing since CP". I would say VT, S&A

and probably also CA is their best stuff since Power

Windows. (at least)

- Most overrated song could be "Jacobs ladder". They

could easily cut 1-2 mins of that song. They could

do that with many old "epics", and it would help the

old albums to rock all the way through.

- Most underrated song could be "Spindrift". I really like the powerfull

singing in some parts of the song. (not Geddy's ooooooo's)

The outro is rocking soooo hard! 1022.gif

- The guitar solo in BU2B is the best one of the 3

new songs, and I almost don't want to call it a

solo. unsure.gif

- Can't see why people are going crazy about Alex's

shredding solos in songs like Headlong flight or

Working man on the latest tour. If any other

guitarrist would have played exactly the same, most

of you would call it emotionless crap. bolt.gif

I myself prefer his more melodic 80's solos.

- I don't see any of the band members as master

musicians. I just like the way they write music, and

tries to explore new horizons. Dream Theater plays

with their brains, Rush with their hearts. For me

Rush > DT because of that.

- My favourite Rush music video is....... Far cry! cool.gif

- C'mon girls, are the Rush guys really THAT good looking!? confused13.gif

- I like it when they don't try to hurry the realease of the new album.

We all want quality, don't we?

Just my thoughts! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Powlich

QUOTE (Powlich @ May 5 2012, 12:18 PM)
- C'mon girls, are the Rush guys really THAT good looking!? confused13.gif

OOOOooooo somebody's jealous.... tongue.gif

One more thing! Different stages disc 1 and 2 are Rush's least enjoyable live record. The setlist, the production... I find myself listen to "The Fifth Order Of Angels" just as much. eyesre4.gif

-I think Rush's epics are all relatively weak as far as prog band epics go. They sound like 5 or 6 hard rock songs bunched together to form a continuous piece of music.

-I wish Xanadu and The Camera Eye did more in their 11 minutes than just repeat themselves.

-By-Tor and the Snowdog is their most overrated longer song by far.

-I find the 5 album stretch from 2112-MP to be overrated for their masterful musicianship and technicality. They were much more technically proficient and interesting during their 80's output IMO.

-Neil is a vastly overrated drummer. I still don't get how people see him as a god among rock drummers when most of his parts are relatively simplistic, especially the 70's material. And his absolute high point of creativity and technique was on Power Windows, an album that never gets mentioned when touting his drumming ability. This annoys the shit out of me.

-In keeping with one of the first posts here, I never understood the hate for Hand Over Fist either. I think it's a definite high point of Presto.

Edited by GrandDesigner

I'd just as soon listen to Feedback in its entirety than any of the albums (in their entirety) since (but not including) p/g.

CA looks to be breaking that streak with a vengeance.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 2 2012, 11:18 AM)
[/quote]
Hey , it happens to everyone. It just sucks because there are some songs he can't sing anymore and we will never hear live agian [/quote]
Agreed. Would love to hear him belt out some of the old tunes again...

Anthem
Something For Nothing

Although unlike most people, I'm fine with them tuning down the songs so long as we get to hear them!

^^ agree! I would be VERY happy to hear some of the 70's tunes toned down just to hear them played live one more time!

I still think for a man of almost 60 his voice is good. When you age your vocal chords shorten, nothing you can do about it. How many other 60 year olds can you say sing better than Geddy?

The 70's to early 80's was there best time periods IMHO!

I only listen to 4 songs on TFE, 2 on Presto, 4 on RTB and 6 on VT, these are my least played albums.

Feedback was absolute shite and I hope I never have to hear Rush play a cover ever again. I would've rather they toured just because it was their 30th anniversary than to listen to them play some other bands hits.

I wish I never had to hear the following in concert EVER again!: Red Barchetta, Freewill, Subdivisions, Spirit of the Radio, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and New World Man. Please, please re-vamp the setlist by eliminating the above and break out older songs (toned down is ok) and songs never played live before you retire!

And yes to whoever asked, I have ALWAYS been in love with Geddy, nose and space between the teeth included!

-I like every one of rush's songs and could listen to anyone of them, but i think im going bald is my least favorite rush song. i can listen to it, but its not so stellar.

-i feel the criticism on dog years is harsh, considering people call rush "too serious" of a band and they have little humor. Dog years has fun lyrics, & i thoroughly enjoy it

-Power Windows is my favorite album (and HYF isn't very far behind)

-Virtuality is a badass song

-TFE is a very underrated album IMO

-Moving Pictures is FAR from their best album

-Rush is a good album, but its still my least favorite

2.gif common001.gif 2.gif