Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

Hoo boy...

I really enjoy Roll the Bones--both the song and the album.

"Cygnus X-1" bores me musically, but not lyrically.

All three instrumentals on S&A rank in my top 25 Rush songs.

If I never heard "Tom Sawyer" again, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

When it comes to the tour skits, I veer between genuine amusement and second-hand embarrassment. Mostly the latter.

No matter how old he is, Alex will always look good to me.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Apollo @ May 1 2012, 02:26 PM)
Honestly does anyone listen to side 2 of 2112 or Fly By Night?

You bet your ass we do! laugh.gif I listen to side 2 just as much as, if not more than, side 1. On both albums.

We all have different preferences, different likes, regarding Rush songs. It is not a competition. It never has been, and never will be. The "Song A is better than Song B" debates are just silly.......fing.gif

QUOTE (Apollo @ May 1 2012, 02:26 PM)
Honestly does anyone listen to side 2 of 2112 or Fly By Night?

2112? Absolutely. Fly By Night? Not so much. If we're gonna get controversial, I have to say that Fly By Night is in the bottom five RUSH albums for me.

1) I love Hold Your Fire. At times, I've listed it as my second favorite Rush album, and I always have liked it better than Power Windows.

2) I love Roll the Bones. I think many of the songs, including You Bet Your Life, to be really, really good.

3) I like pre-Freddie Gruber Neil a lot better, both drumming-wise and especially lyrically. (not that Gruber had any influence on his writing)

4) I probably like Rush better than Fly By Night or Caress of Steel.

5) I listen to Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones, and Counterparts much more than I listen to Farewell to Kings.

6) I like The Enemy Within, Prime Mover, and The Pass better than By-Tor and the Snow Dog, Cygnus X-1, and Bastille Day.

7) I would rather listen to Counterparts than Signals.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 1 2012, 03:15 PM)
If we're gonna get controversial, I have to say that Fly By Night is in the bottom five RUSH albums for me.

I agree. Rivendell remains the only unlistenable song in the catalog for me. There are others that I dislike, but Rivendell is the only one I can't listen too.

My main one is that I think Moving Pictures is overrated. It's just not as interesting to me as many other Rush albums. The only thing I like about Tom Sawyer is the drum break. Limelight is a good but not spectacular song. The weak lyrics of Red Barchetta would be too stupid, and those of The Camera Eye too self-consciously poetic for me to listen to were those songs not redeemed by how vivid the wonderful instrumentation makes some of their imagery. Witch Hunt wastes uncharacteristically trenchant lyrics with a plodding dirge of a song, and Vital Signs is pleasant enough but so forgettable that, well, I always forget it's even on the album. Of the seven songs on Moving Pictures, only YYZ is untouchable.

My other big one is that Neil is kind of an asshole, but mostly in ways that are completely understandable and acceptable.

Oh, and that 2112 is the ONLY Rush album with no skippable songs!

Edited by GeddysMullet

People who think that Rush are the single most talented band ever and all around just the best band ever and no one even comes close are way to close minded and need to listen to some other music every once in a while!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 1 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 1 2012, 05:05 PM)

What's skippable on Hemispheres?

I don't know about him, but for me, The Trees. And Hemispheres, unless I've got 20 minutes to kill or it's just on as background filler.

Signals sucks. 062802puke_prv.gif

I prefer Presto to MP. yes.gif

VT is pretty good, and the sound quality is not as detracting as some say. confused13.gif

Huge fan of the rap in RTB. bekloppt.gif

TFE is a good album, and Virtuality is an awesome song. smile.gif

Jacob's Ladder puts me to sleep. schla03.gif

Natural Science is really overrated, and By-Tor is really underrated. 2.gif

Different Strings is Rush's best slow ballad. (Not counting The Pass and Bravado) wub.gif

There are no bad Rush instrumentals. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

.... that being said, most of S&A still sucks.

Working Them Angels is a crappy song that should never be on a favorites list and shouldn't have been on the Time Machine setlist. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Armor and Sword also puts me to sleep. schla03.gif

HYF sucks goats. 062802puke_prv.gif

1- Vapor Trail is one of my favorite.

2- GuP...no, thanks, I can't listen to this album in its entieriety......(I only listen to RSA, Body electric and Distant Early warning

3- By-Tor is not a so good song...Sorry!

4- Armor and Sword is in my top 10 of all-time...

5- I don'y want to hear Losing it on CA tour

6- I would like to hear Manhattan project, Prime Mover, Chain Lightning and Superconductor on next tour

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 1 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 1 2012, 05:05 PM)

What's skippable on Hemispheres?

I don't know about him, but for me, The Trees. And Hemispheres, unless I've got 20 minutes to kill or it's just on as background filler.

waffen093.gif danielmclark

Crucify him!