Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

QUOTE (NAO @ Jun 14 2012, 08:47 PM)
I will confess to the most blasphemous heresy a so-called RUSH fan can have:

I don't really like any of the albums after Moving Pictures that much.

There, I said it. Also I don't believe in god, and I deny the holy spirit. I'm going to hell for sure.

As for the post-MP albums, it's not for lack of trying - repeated listens, trying to keep an open mind, trying to hear the music on it's own terms, etc.

Granted, I have learned to appreciate most of the post-MP output, but here is the thing...I didn't have to "try" to appreciate the debut thru MP. That stuff just grabbed me and blew me away.

So nowadays I can appreciate every post-MP album in some way (except GUP, which I can't stand to this day) - but my appreciation is always in the context of "this stuff is just not in the same league as the 74-81 stuff".

I can't pin down what it is, but something changed after MP. Despite all the changes (toning down keyboards, turning up guitar, bringing on Nick), nothing grabs me the way the early stuff did. Possibly the missing factor is Terry Brown. Who knows?

That's my big "unpopular opinion". I have some others too, but I'll leave them for another post (provided I'm not banned from here forever for "the unpardonable sin" of not liking the post-MP stuff).

Banned?

What you wrote describes about half the people on this board.

laugh.gif

They'll probably give you a medal.

tongue.gif

wink.gif

trink39.gif

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my current unpopular opinion about Rush is that I'm not having multiple orgasms over Clockwork Angels. It's already being relegated to coaster status after multiple tries to "get it". I actually like the storyline and I appreciate what they were going for, but none of the music moves me or even sticks with me. Sure, the opening riffs sound heavy but once Geddy's voice kicks in, it just sounds monotonous and droning and directionless. The guy isn't a good singer anymore. There, I said it. His voice has lost far too much range and emotion to make for good heavy rock songs. He still sounds OK on the softer materal (Dreamline, The Pass, Big Money, etc) but an entire hard rock album? His '70s voice was AWESOME and served the material well. He can't do it anymore, hasn't for a long time. I think that's also the reason why he can't seem to write a strong melody anymore. Starting with TFE and getting worse each album, too many songs sound like he's inventing the melody on the spot. Not to mention that awkward cracking and straining live in concert on pretty much every song pre-1991

I guess this makes me a bad fan. dazed025.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by jnoble

Here's an unpopular opinion: I like Rush a lot, and I like their music! In fact, I like more than 50% of their music! That's why I signed up on this FAN forum! Because I really like this band. And I like all of their albums! I know that I'm in the minority here, but this is a really good band!

I know, I know - I WISH I could buy tickets to 12 shows per tour and spend hundred of dollars getting shitfaced and buying t-shirts that I won't wear, despite disliking the majority of Rush's catalogue... but I suppose I'm just not a fan like you guys are. I mean, hell, I even like Presto!

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 15 2012, 10:26 PM)
my current unpopular opinion about Rush is that I'm not having multiple orgasms over Clockwork Angels. It's already being relegated to coaster status after multiple tries to "get it". I actually like the storyline and I appreciate what they were going for, but none of the music moves me or even sticks with me. Sure, the opening riffs sound heavy but once Geddy's voice kicks in, it just sounds monotonous and droning and directionless. The guy isn't a good singer anymore. There, I said it. His voice has lost far too much range and emotion to make for good heavy rock songs. He still sounds OK on the softer materal (Dreamline, The Pass, Big Money, etc) but an entire hard rock album? His '70s voice was AWESOME and served the material well. He can't do it anymore, hasn't for a long time. I think that's also the reason why he can't seem to write a strong melody anymore. Starting with TFE and getting worse each album, too many songs sound like he's inventing the melody on the spot. Not to mention that awkward cracking and straining live in concert on pretty much every song pre-1991

I guess this makes me a bad fan. dazed025.gif biggrin.gif

You have to give it a serious first listen to grasp the premise and feeling of the record, but then it's important to simply play it a LOT. Get to know how it's layered, figure out the melody (it's hard to on only a few listens) and begin to appreciate the riffs. The Wreckers and The anarchist left me cold as did Seven cities of Gold to an extent. But I took afew jogs and bike rides and just played the crap out of the record. I now enjoy almost the entire record and can jam to any part of it.

Give it time man, you'll come around. Appreciating Vapor trails took me several months. It doesn't make you a bad fan it just makes you a person with your own differing opinions.

Hope you can enjoy it more in the near future!

Rock on man! 2.gif

Okay so

let me start out by saying

1. Moving Pictures is not the ultimate Rush album! It is mediocre at best. No ultimately impressive songs, if anything Red Barchetta is the best, because of its emulating music.

2. Tom Sawyer is the most lacking song of any setlist, please don't play it again

3. YYZ is one of my least favourite rush songs.

4. YYZ is the worst Rush instrumental, give me where's my thing? LIMBO MALNAR ANYTHING!

5. No more Spirit of Radio. Play Different Strings Entre Nous anything

6. Presto is the best rush album. I love every song on that album. Available Light is beautiful, If I got to chose which album they should play live I would choose Presto, Power Windows would be a close second.

I can't stress enough how amazing this album is to me, I listen to it about every other day, it never tires out. I don't have an emotional connection to this album. I do though to the first I heard, Vapor Trails, I love.

7. Ghost of a Chance is my favorite rush song lyrically.

8. I don't get the hate towards Neil, it's his personal beliefs or disbelief, music is his diary he just lets everyone read. I find it uplifting, rebellious, and awakening. If you suffered a loss like Neil you might understand why his aggression in his point has grown, I have and I ultimately understand it.

9. 80's Rush is Rush. I love all Rush, but this period is what made Rush stick out.

10. Test for Echo is one of their strongest albums.

11. Dog Years has some deep lines. I didn't realize this for a long time.

12. Faithless is great, and the reaction religious people have to it makes it greater

13. Geddy Lee is attractive.

14. Iron Maiden is the best band in the world! ninja just snuck in there ph34r.gif

I'm off to work BUT I'M NOT DONE!

I love rush.

i really like tai shan biggrin.gif

i cannot get into their early stuff (although i do respect it).

i cannot get into vapor trails (although i love earthshine and freeze part 4 of fear).

i love their 80's synth period the most.

i much prefer power windows to moving pictures (although i do like the album a lot).

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 15 2012, 01:15 PM)
In concert, I sometimes wish Neil's drum solo's were "slightly" shorter... unsure.gif

I'm not a big fan of drum solos in concert....even Neil's solos. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I prefer some sort of group instrumental that features the drums, but a drum solo on its own tends to bore me to sleep. Same goes for an extended guitar solo......after the first couple of minutes, I'd like to move on..... smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 16 2012, 07:03 AM)
Okay so

let me start out by saying

1. Moving Pictures is not the ultimate Rush album! It is mediocre at best. No ultimately impressive songs, if anything Red Barchetta is the best, because of its emulating music.

2. Tom Sawyer is the most lacking song of any  setlist, please don't play it again

4. YYZ is the worst Rush instrumental, give me where's my thing? LIMBO MALNAR ANYTHING!

5. No more Spirit of Radio. Play Different Strings Entre Nous anything

6. Presto is the best rush album. I love every song on that album. Available Light is beautiful, If I got to chose which album they should play live I would choose Presto, Power Windows would be a close second.
I can't stress enough how amazing this album is to me, I listen to it about every other day, it never tires out. I don't have an emotional connection to this album. I do though to the first I heard, Vapor Trails, I love. 

7. Ghost of a Chance is my favorite rush song lyrically.

8. I don't get the hate towards Neil, it's his personal beliefs or disbelief, music is his diary he just lets everyone read. I find it uplifting, rebellious, and awakening. If you suffered a loss like Neil you might understand why his aggression in his point has grown, I have and I ultimately understand it.

9. 80's Rush is Rush. I love all Rush, but this period is what made Rush stick out.

11. Dog Years has some deep lines. I didn't realize this for a long time.

12. Faithless is great, and the reaction religious people have to it makes it greater

13. Geddy Lee is attractive.

14. Iron Maiden is the best band in the world! ninja just snuck in there ph34r.gif

I'm off to work BUT I'M NOT DONE!

I love rush.

My suspicion is that a lot of your opinions are going to become more an more prevalent among younger audiences.

Here is my controversial opinion, or rather prediction, relating to your opinion on MP:

The Tom Sawyer opening deep bass synth line and futuristic key board sound that was so super-exciting and unprecedented to many of us in the early 80's is now being compared against a plethora of musical genres with heavy bass lines and electronica effects. Tom Sawyer can't help but sound a bit thin by comparison.

However, I foresee a revival of Caress of Steel, which will become increasingly popular among younger audiences. The long story lines are intriguing and is accompanied by pure and brilliant guitar that can't be emulated artificially the way heavy bass synth and keyboard riffs can.

So, there will be a new generation that "gets" COS, in contrast to it's contemporaries that did not get it.

wish full thinking perhaps? sad.gif smile.gif

Edited by Animate

I don't know if this is the type of opinion that would raise eyebrows, but I think that Leave that Thing Alone is the weakest of their 90's instrumentals, and I wish they'd leave that one in the closet. Bring back Where's My Thing or even Limbo.

I think 2112 the album is overrated, largely because of the awesomeness of the title track. Aside from that, there isn't much else on the album that is as enjoyable.

If you take away the horrible lyrics, Dog Years isn't all that bad.

Now that they got the entire album Moving Pictures out of their system, I'd like to see them shelve most of the songs for at least one tour. Maybe play one of them (Red Barchetta or Limelight), but don't bring back YYZ or Tom Sawyer.

I actually liked the fact that they kept Closer to the Heart out of their setlists from the 2000's.

I don't know if this is popular, but I'd like to see Neil scale back on the drum solos, and maybe limit them to five minutes without all of the electronic tricks.

As good as the setlist was, I thought the Counterparts Tour was overly slick and seemed to embrace all of the hard rock cliches that Rush seemed to avoid.

Considering Rush had already done Witchhunt and Vital Signs in the 2000's, I'd rather the Time Machine had done another album in its entirety--perhaps Permanent Waves or Signals.

I'd like to see Rush do a regular tour with an opening band again, or at least a co-headliner. I'd live to see Rush and Dream Theater together.

I like some of the material from Lifeson's Victor project as much as much or Rush's material--Don't Care, The Promise.

Caress of Steel is actually the most complete of their early albums.

The song Hemispheres runs circles around the song 2112 in terms of quality.

Geddy's singing voice is irritating at times.

Until Snakes and Arrows, Hold Your Fire was the last Rush album to be consistently awesome in terms of lyrics.

I LOVE the debut album. It's always been on of my favorites.

I HATED the keyboard era in the 80's, and I didn't even buy HYF when it came out, but now it' my favorite keyboard era album.

TFE is - by far - my favorite 90's era album.

I am delighted to the point of giddiness by Neil's anti-religion lyrics.

Here's an unpopular opinion:

Many bands have come and gone throughout my life - Danzig, Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction, the list goes on. But one band has stayed, Rush. You could say Rush has been the soundtrack to my life. Neil's lyrics have inspired me. Alex and Geddy's music has left me awestruck. These guys have been my heroes for over 20 years now.

QUOTE (thirteen @ Jun 16 2012, 11:01 PM)
Here's an unpopular opinion:

Many bands have come and gone throughout my life - Danzig, Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction, the list goes on. But one band has stayed, Rush. You could say Rush has been the soundtrack to my life. Neil's lyrics have inspired me. Alex and Geddy's music has left me awestruck. These guys have been my heroes for over 20 years now.

trink39.gif indeed I have to concur with this!

These are all 100% accurate opinions of mine:

10) I am baffled that Seven Cities of Gold is such a hit off the new album. It's the one song on CA I find a little generic. huh.gif

9) On that note, I can't get enough of Wish Them Well, which apparently gets no love from most fans.

8) Take a Friend kicks ass. That triplet riff? Holy crapoly.

7) I hate the arrangement of Natural Science they've done on tour. Alex's second solo (the one during the driving three-bar figure in the "Permanent Waves" section) is my favorite solo of his, ever. (Maybe that deserves a separate numeral.)

6) I'm sure this has been said a lot in this thread, but I think Vapor Trails is one of their best. Not a single skip-worthy song.

5) I could take or leave By-Tor and the Snow Dog.

4) There is never any reason to play the "Fear" trilogy (or the tetralogy) in order. They're completely distinct, unrelated songs.

3) I'd easily trade Neil's drum solo for an additional real song. NeilFinal.gif schla03.gif

2) I don't get why "Tom Sawyer" is so popular. It's a good song... but, like, THAT's the one everyone knows? WTF, world? confused13.gif

1) I LOVE TAI SHAN 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif #noimnotkidding #notevenalittle

I actually enjoy songs most people hate..Tai Shan, Rivendell, BU2B2, all of Test 4 Echo, Feedback, Roll the Bones and Vapor Trails, I don't see why people love the Big Money so much (except Geddy's playing), and why Tom Sawyer is such a staple song for Rush...IMO, it should be La Villa or Natural Science.

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 16 2012, 05:03 AM)
1. Moving Pictures... is mediocre at best. No ultimately impressive songs

exfreakinsqueeze me? ohmy.gif confused13.gif facepalm.gif

2. Tom Sawyer is the most lacking song of any  setlist

no.gif

wtf.gif

wtf.gif wtf.gif

6. Presto is the best rush album. I love every song on that album... Vapor Trails, I love. 

cool10.gif

Again, too many drugs... cool10.gif

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (GoldRush @ Jun 17 2012, 09:37 PM)
Wish them well" is my favorite song on CA so far

I don't know if I'd say Wish Them Well is my favorite song from CA, but it's a very good song that is entertaining to listen to. I think that song should have closed out the album, rather than Garden.