Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Anthony2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 01:32 PM)
Vapor Trails might be Rush's best album. cool.gif

facepalm.gif

I think Rushgoober likes people saying they like VT.

He gets to touch a boob every time.

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Anthony2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 04:32 PM)

It *might* be, but it's not.

...in fairness, VT is one of the few Rush albums I can listen to without strongly wanting to skip a track. These aren't necessarily my favorites, they just happen to have no outright terrible (IMO!) songs:

CoS*

Hemi

PerW

HYF (I'm telling you people, I love Tai Shan)

VT

CA

*I don't think the songs on this are particularly strong; it's more of an "If I'm gonna put on Caress of Steel, I might as well listen to the whole thing" kinda deal.

QUOTE (Anthony2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 03:32 PM)

Yes, for that you do deserve to suffer greatly! Pure drivel that album.....and I was about to say about myself how much crap I've got for saying I thought VT was their worst album. I predict (and hope) that they wont play a single song off VT on the new tour. Wait, I take that back. I hope they do play one or two off of VT so I can go take a pee/poop and get some beer.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 08:27 PM)

Yes, for that you do deserve to suffer greatly! Pure drivel that album.....and I was about to say about myself how much crap I've got for saying I thought VT was their worst album. I predict (and hope) that they wont play a single song off VT on the new tour. Wait, I take that back. I hope they do play one or two off of VT so I can go take a pee/poop and get some beer.

Opening a can of worms here ph34r.gif... but can you put succinctly why you dislike VT? Except for the whole mastering... thing... I'm always a bit baffled that it gets no love. Is there something about the material itself that people find so objectionable?

Not looking to start an argument so much as understand the other side. (If it's the sound thing, well, just say it's the sound thing and I'll let it go.)

QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 18 2012, 07:31 PM)

Opening a can of worms here ph34r.gif... but can you put succinctly why you dislike VT? Except for the whole mastering... thing... I'm always a bit baffled that it gets no love. Is there something about the material itself that people find so objectionable?

Not looking to start an argument so much as understand the other side. (If it's the sound thing, well, just say it's the sound thing and I'll let it go.)

Pefectly reasonable question, and I can answer it easily. It was in BAD need of editing. Almost every song on the album is way too friggin long! They seem to be long for no good reason. Thats the main thing that bothers me about the album. A second reason, is that there are no real melodies to any of the songs either. The whole album seems unfocused and tired to me; not at all like an album by a band that had been apart for almost 7 years. Just horrible.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 18 2012, 07:31 PM)

Pefectly reasonable question, and I can answer it easily. It was in BAD need of editing. Almost every song on the album is way too friggin long! They seem to be long for no good reason. Thats the main thing that bothers me about the album. A second reason, is that there are no real melodies to any of the songs either. The whole album seems unfocused and tired to me; not at all like an album by a band that had been apart for almost 7 years. Just horrible.

It's not just VT, every album since 2002 including CA has songs that go on too long and lack good melodies. That's been far and away my biggest problem with the new stuff. That and Neil's lyrics just arent much fun to listen to. This is now the 3rd album in a row with a 'religion is scary and people are mean' theme

1. I didn't discover rush until power windows so I had loads great albums to discover but, after all this time to use a "scottish-ism" signals is "total pish"!!!

2. To contradict myself, subdivisions is okay!

3. I hated the band when they stopped touring the UK for a few albums. In fact, I'm so pig headed I still don't own test4echo or different stages.

4. I love the first album. It rocks!! Especially "take a friend", it's got a cool, funky riff 1022.gif

5. I also enjoy roll the bones. It's fun!

6. Grace under pressure is still my favourite album. Especially love between the wheels.

7. Hemispheres is such a disappointment after the amazing cygnusx1.

8. Instrumental album? YES PLEASE!!!

9. Oh, and come on ged, just use a pick already!!!!!! z7shysterical.gif

There is almost more horrible studio Rush albums than there are quintessential ones:

Quintessential Rush albums:

Fly By Night

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure (2nd side saves it)

Not quintessential but had some good songs on there Rush albums:

Rush

Caress of Steel

Power Windows (big money saves it from being horrible)

Roll The Bones

Presto

Horrible Rush albums:

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Feedback

Snakes & Arrows

Clockwork Angels

QUOTE (The Gutless Wonder @ Jun 21 2012, 08:41 AM)
I'm listening to Presto for the first time right now. Enjoying it so far! biggrin.gif Not heard Feedback but none of those others are 'horrible' albums! tongue.gif

The production on Presto certainly isn't my favorite, but I love the songwriting. The Pass, War Paint, Presto, Red Tide, Hand over Fist, and Available Light... some of their best-written songs, IMO. And some great Alex solos!

1022.gif AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif

And Anagram may be a silly lyric in some ways, but I've always really liked that song. I think there's more to it than just a word game... it's impressionistic, but there's meaning. I think it suggests transience, change, what is hidden, the search for one thing within another... an unusual Rush song, to be sure, but an underappreciated gem.

I think Something for Nothing is the best song on 2112

I hate Tom Sawyer

During some parts of Time Machine, I thought a dying cat could sing better than Geddy

1. I'm not big on 70's Rush....get's a little tiresome and heavy handed.

2. I love Roll the Bones as an album. I love the song as well.

3. I feel Counterparts would have made a better EP after Between Sun and Moon. It loses me. Leave that Thing Alone is great though.

4. I hardly ever listen to side 1 of Hemispheres. Drags in a BIG way. I start right on Circumstances

5. Don't know how unpopular this is but.....Marathon is one of their best songs...ever.

6. I don't care if Neil wants to bash Religion. I would not care if he were to praise Jesus on high. Music should be for expression. I'll still follow this band.

7. i'm glad Ged stopped the shrieking. my voice hurts just listening to it.....it's cool...but god.

Mick

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jun 22 2012, 11:36 AM)
4. I hardly ever listen to side 1 of Hemispheres.  Drags in a BIG way. 

The most overrated "song" in the entire catalog by a mile. Probably not in my top 125 Rush songs. Great playing, great, crisp sound, and about one minute that I actually like listening to.

QUOTE (3113 @ Jun 20 2012, 05:01 PM)
There is almost more horrible studio Rush albums than there are quintessential ones:

Quintessential Rush albums:

Fly By Night
A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure (2nd side saves it)

Not quintessential but had some good songs on there Rush albums:

Rush
Caress of Steel
Power Windows (big money saves it from being horrible)
Roll The Bones
Presto

Horrible Rush albums:

Counterparts
Test For Echo
Vapor Trails
Feedback
Snakes & Arrows
Clockwork Angels

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

Out of all their albums.....Hold your Fire has been the most rewarding to me over time. not kidding. Something about the record finally gelled. I totally adore, Second Nature, Mission, Time Stands Still prime Mover. It shocked ME. Cause I used to loath this album.

Mick

Maybe it won't get me nailed to a cross, but I love much of Vapor Trails. yes.gif

What might get me shot at sunrise? Saying that the legendary Broon is not the god many Rush fans insist on making him out to be. ph34r.gif bolt.gif