Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

QUOTE (rummut71 @ May 1 2012, 11:43 AM)
Out of the 150+ song canon, I have no trouble skipping over at least a third of them.

I'm with ya.

Of every Rush song ever recorded, I put only 80 on my iPod. That equates to nearly half, I guess (the last time I checked, circa VT, Rush had roughly 160 songs), but still. Even some of the Rush songs I have on my iPod, I skip when they come up.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 1 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 1 2012, 09:27 AM)
I would like Neil needs to find spirituality, but not religion.

Agreed. yes.gif

Interestingly, some of his older lyrics seem to reflect this to an extent in songs like Closer to the Heart, Mystic Rhythms and Mission, but that seems to be lost now.

Read the lyrics to "And The Stars Look Down". I believe it is sarcasm, yet another song about the lack of a divine spirit or spiritual guide.

Yep. He's asking the Heavens for an explanation, and gets silent indifference. There's Nobody up there to answer.

I'm fine with that idea in his lyrics, but I still think the song is the worst song on Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ May 1 2012, 12:49 PM)
I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, and I hate to weigh in at all, but I am frequently annoyed by Alex's guitar tone. Generally one of the weakest tones among players from my favorite bands.

There, I said something negative about Rush tongue.gif

Well I really dislike the sound of Neil's smaller toms these days. They sound bongo-ish.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 09:49 AM)
Out of the 150+ song canon, I have no trouble skipping over at least a third of them.

I'm with ya.

Of every Rush song ever recorded, I put only 80 on my iPod. That equates to nearly half, I guess (the last time I checked, circa VT, Rush had roughly 160 songs), but still. Even some of the Rush songs I have on my iPod, I skip when they come up.

I started a thread awhile back called "How many Rush songs do you always SKIP?"

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=58681&hl=

I listed 48 songs I would always skip, but of those only 4 were from their first 12 albums, and 44 from their last 9 (including Feedback & Clockwork Angels so far).

Still, that leaves an incredible amount of songs that I like or love (mostly love), so it's all good! trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 1 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 1 2012, 09:27 AM)
I would like Neil needs to find spirituality, but not religion.

Agreed. yes.gif

Interestingly, some of his older lyrics seem to reflect this to an extent in songs like Closer to the Heart, Mystic Rhythms and Mission, but that seems to be lost now.

Read the lyrics to "And The Stars Look Down". I believe it is sarcasm, yet another song about the lack of a divine spirit or spiritual guide.

Yep. He's asking the Heavens for an explanation, and gets silent indifference. There's Nobody up there to answer.

I'm fine with that idea in his lyrics, but I still think the song is the worst song on Vapor Trails.

It is a horrid song, IMO.

Since i don't give a rat's ass about popular opinions........

I don't care what Neil writes about, if i like the music, it's all good

I don't think Neil is That smart . Is he smart ? Sure, but so is the night manager at Burger King

I think his posts on his website Suck . If i want to read about Birds, i will buy a f-n book on birds

I think RTB is a Joke

I almost walked away from Rush when HYF was released , that is how bad and Non-Rush that album sounds to me

S&A ? If i want a Syrup sandwich i will go to IHOP

I think T4E blows S&A away

I don't think they are as Funny as most of the people do on this site

I think the only one that is really Not a dick to be around is Alex

Enjoy wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 11:30 AM)
I'm about to get back to work so I can't write my own list yet... but if this is supposed to be a thread of unpopular opinions, I don't think trashing VT, I Think I'm Going Bald, Presto and the rap in RTB is really in the spirit of the thread wink.gif

I'll come up with a list later on, but it'll have things on it like: Tom Sawyer is overrated, Moving Pictures isn't their best album, 2112 is lyrically weak... opinions I genuinely have that probably 90% of people here disagree with.

I agree with what you said already man. Can't wait to read a full list. smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 09:49 AM)

I'm with ya.

I started a thread awhile back called "How many Rush songs do you always SKIP?"

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=58681&hl=

I listed 48 songs I would always skip, but of those only 4 were from their first 12 albums, and 44 from their last 9 (including Feedback & Clockwork Angels so far).

Still, that leaves an incredible amount of songs that I like or love (mostly love), so it's all good! trink39.gif

I'm gonna try that now, seeing as how I'm genuinely curious. Maybe I'll add to the thread you made.

You all are dead to me now.

(just kidding!)

(well, except for the posters that down played Alex- you are still dead)

Edited by Animate

It's hard to tell exactly what is popular/unpopular, but I'm guessing these opinions deviate from the norm (at least here on TRF):

I LOVE Vapor Trails.

Rush sounds more energized here than they have since Power Windows, and this is their best album since then. The songwriting is fluid, the lyrics are personal and powerful, and the music is dynamic and richly emotional. "One Little Victory", "Ceiling Unlimited", "Ghost Rider", "Vapor Trail", "Secret Touch", "Earthshine", and "Sweet Miracle" probably would all crack my top 50 Rush songs. A perfect album? No. Do some songs go on too long? Yes. Is the mix amateurish? Yep. But an intensely powerful and emotional album shines through, and I can't get enough.

"Roll The Bones" is one of my favorite Rush songs. And I like the rap.

Awesome song. I love the lyrics. I love the funky sound. I love Geddy's voice on this. Love, love, love. Even (especially) the rap. Everything about this song is downright cool and unique, and I never get tired of it. 90s pop rock at its best.

I think "Far Cry" is boring.

That's right. Not horrible, but nothing special. It's just kind of run-of-the-mill and dull.

I want the boys to bring back the kimonos for this tour.

Wait, I think this might be a popular opinion. unsure.gif

All of the athiest suff Neil writes sounds like a whiny crybaby pouting to me, but I still really enjoy the music.

Most of the suff between Power Windows and Vapor Trails is cool and Rush 1022.gif , but it doesn't do a ton for me compared to the other albums.

I think the upcoming novel, "Clockwork Angels", will be really bad reading. I don't like Kevin J. Anderson's work, and Neil's prose is rather lifeless. I hope they prove me wrong! smile.gif

Interesting opinions here! I'll add my own now.

1. Rush has not written a good complete album since Power Windows. That is the last CD they released that I can listen to from beginning to end without wanting to skip any songs. Every release since then has been about half good songs, half forgettable ones (except for S&A which I think was all bad).

2. Their first few albums were the same way (half good half bad). Honestly does anyone listen to side 2 of 2112 or Fly By Night?

3. Vapor Trails is the best thing they've done since Power Windows. While it still falls into my half good, half bad song breakdown, the good here is very good.

4. S&A still sucks. While I hate the lyrics, the music lets me down here too. The hard edge of Vapor Trails is completely gone. I won't get into the whole atheistic debate again but I don't like his lyrics in this album at all.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 1 2012, 11:27 AM)
Neil is obviously good, but I am beginning to think he is a bit over-rated. There really are good number of drummers I think are better, from my standpoint.

Now, yes, there are rock genre drummer who are "better" than Neil, but Neil is really a Canadian (& USA!) treasure. And, of course, he was the inspiration for many of these "better" drummers.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 11:18 AM)

I get into trouble with this opinion every time: While nobody in the band is "replaceable," and I certainly wouldn't advocate that somebody really BE replaced, I think Alex would be much easier to replace than Geddy or Neil. I believe there's easily a hundred equally good guitarists out there, but there's only one Neil Peart or Geddy Lee. [Forget it, people. Let it go this time; let me get away with it. It's just my opinion; I don't really WANT to replace Alex!]

I'm not going to criticize you for saying this, but I do think you raised a notion that is worth exploring. I think Alex brings some unique flavors and textures to his playing that I don't hear in any other relatively-mainstream band. If Neil didn't write the lyrics, I would think he'd be the most easily replaced member of the band.

QUOTE (Apollo @ May 1 2012, 02:26 PM)
3. Vapor Trails is the best thing they've done since Power Windows. While it still falls into my half good, half bad song breakdown, the good here is very good.

4. S&A still sucks. While I hate the lyrics, the music lets me down here too. The hard edge of Vapor Trails is completely gone. I won't get into the whole atheistic debate again but I don't like his lyrics in this album at all.

goodpost.gif +1

You say Ged and Neil can't be replaced ?

Billy Sheehan [billy can sing]

Terry Bozzio

See ? replaced

tongue.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 02:49 PM)
Billy Sheehan [billy can sing]
Terry Bozzio
See ? replaced
tongue.gif

Yes, but the band would then sound MUCH different.

Alex, on the other hand, could be replaced without much difference in the band's sound. smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 02:49 PM)
Billy Sheehan  [billy can sing]
Terry Bozzio
See ? replaced
tongue.gif

Yes, but the band would then sound MUCH different.

Alex, on the other hand, could be replaced without much difference in the band's sound. smilies-8579.png

I think the only thing that would sound different is the Singing . The music would be played note for note imo

Hmmm...

Neurotica is one of the best songs on RTB. LOVE IT.

Virtuality is one of the best songs on TFE. LOVE IT.

Good News First is an excellent song. Very underrated.

I may dislike 'rap music' in general, but I love the 'rap' on RTB. It's a great song, with a great vibe...and I find I never, ever skip it. I truly enjoy it.

Vapor Trails has actually aged really badly with me. While I can listen to it, and still like songs from it (unlike Goobs), I think it would probably rank as my least favourite Rush release.

They could retire Tom Sawyer from the setlist, and I wouldn't mind one bit.

I'll bet I could find at least 30 songs post-HYF that I prefer over 'The Spirit of Radio'.