Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

Funny all the not wanting to hear any more MP. It is the one record that I have never listened to entirely on digital format, the only one not on my ipod or car hard drive. I even fast forward through most of it on the TM tour dvd.

Guess that would be another thread though- "which albums are ones that you loved at one time but can't listen to any more because you already listened to them too many times" sort of thing.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ May 1 2012, 06:30 PM)
16.  I have great concerns over the state of Geddy's voice.  Listen to Rush in Rio.  Then listen to R30.  Then listen to S & A Live, then listen to TMT.  His voice has gotten much worse over that time.  You can cover it up with mixing and multiple takes on an album but live?  Yes he is pushing 60 but its been another couple of years since the TMT DVD was filmed.  With each of the above shows I think age shows more and more with his voice.  Just listen to Rush in Rio and then the TMT DVD.  Big change (IMO) and not for the better.  I have great concerns as to what we will get when they actually go on the road this time.  Hopping for the best but very worried.

Ah yes, I forgot about this one!

21. Geddy's voice is deteriorating rapidly live, and maybe it's time to call it quits. Some material on live albums / DVD's in recent years, as well as some recent bootlegs is really pretty painful and embarrassing. It's a shame, as otherwise the boys are playing at the top of their game, but this is the one element that's keeping them from sounding like the consummate professionals they are. Doing another tour is pushing it. Anything beyond that, and I think his voice is going to go beyond the point where even the diehards who don't seem to notice or care will start to notice and care. Obviously he can still pull off being of good voice in the studio with being able to do multiple takes, getting enough rest and breaks, etc.

This is unfortunately true and probably the main reason CA is going to be the final album. Geddy's voice is at its breaking point. I really can't see it lasting past R40. eh.gif

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=59252

I've already committed way too many sins!

1. Neil's drum solos post-Counterparts are better than those of most drummers, but they are still some of his weakest material. Many of the newer ones lack cohesion and groove, especially between the electronic parts and his fills. They just don't match up; they're awkward for the lay man like me.

2. Headlong Flight is one of Rush's weaker songs. Poor melodies/singing, inconsistent lyrics, poor production, and repetitive sections drag down some good guitar/bass riffs and drum fills.

3. Vital Signs is one of Geddy Lee's 10 best basslines. It's so powerful and driving.

4. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are two of Rush's 5 best albums. The Synth Era in general was Rush's peak; the songs were well written and produced, and the balance was impeccable. This was their golden era of songwriting - and arguably the most creative period of any musical force to come out of the 70s prog scene. Alex was sidelined a bit, but he compensated by unleashing his most consistent solos.

5. Ghost of a Chance is outstanding. Great guitar solo, fantastic melodies, and a rare example of Rupert Hine's production working in favor of the band.

6. Middletown Dreams is VERY underrated.

7. Rush's first album is actually one of the best hard rock albums ever. It's just eclipsed by their genre-trancending 80s output.

Edited by Deckiller

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:08 AM)
2. I can't stand I Think I'm Going Bald - the lyrics, while trying to make a point, are just too silly for Rush. The guys obviously have great senses of humor, but trying to stick that into a song just doesn't work for them (RTB rap anyone? 062802puke_prv.gif ). Their music, especially in the 70's and 80's, was so great that trying to make a funny song just seems beneath them, and it dragged the album down.

3. Most of the time they do narration, it ruins a song for me. This is especially evident with The Necromancer (which would have been great otherwise) and Cygnus X-1 (which along with the screaming at the very end drags down the song immensely - again, the song would have been great otherwise). The rap in RTB is awful for this reason as well.

4. Hold Your Fire is one of their best albums. This is the other album I love that so often gets thrown under the bus. Admittedly, the last two songs keep this album from true greatness, but otherwise the first 8 songs are excellent.

5. The keyboard era was incredible. A lot of people hate the keyboard era, but I loved it, and I've bitterly missed the keyboards in every subsequent Rush album. These albums were innovative and interesting, and the keys added a level of depth to the music that's been missing ever since they went back to basics.

6. Presto is a very mediocre album.

10. Counterparts was a comeback album after two major duds. A lot of people don't see those as duds, so they don't share this view.

11. T4E has no memorable songs at all. The album is just heavy, and that's pretty much it for me. Resist is highly overrated and only started really getting attention when they did the acoustic version of it. And again there are songs with horribly embarrassing lyrics, perhaps more so than some of the songs on Presto and RTB, namely Test For Echo, Totem, Dog Years and Virtuality. What on earth was Neil thinking with some of these lyrics?

12. VT is a complete disaster in every conceivable way. There's the obvious mastering problem, but outside of that the songs just aren't good - the lyrics are depressing and the songs are just too structured and relentlessly intense. There's no guitar solos, the songs are too long, the album is too long, there's the annoying Geddy choirs, etc. The album should have been scrapped and never released to the public. The album is a true embarrassment to their legacy. I can't understand how anyone likes it. The only good thing about it is that they came back after immense tragedy, but unfortunately that doesn't make the album palatable at all.

13. S&A is actually a very good album, and again it's a HUGE comeback album. Many here seem to hate on it. The first three songs in particular are outstanding, and the instrumentals are by far their best post-1981.

16. I don't give a shit about Neil's blog or books. I like to have it pointed out where he gives Rush related information and news, but the rest of it I see no point in personally. I sincerely feel that if he wasn't a member of this band beloved by so many, his books would have gone nowhere. Most of the material is just boring.

17. That said, Neil is NOT an asshole. I have no problem whatsoever with his behavior or choices in how he interacts (or doesn't as the case may be) with fans. That's completely his choice. I care only if he gives his all into his drumming and songwriting, and that he does, even if I don't always love everything he comes up with. The rest is superfluous.

19. Rush have somewhat sold out in the past few years. Thankfully, I don't believe they've ever not given it their all in the studio or in a live performance, so in that I give them major respect. That said, I think they've done tons of unnecessary touring the past few years as an obvious cash grab capitalizing on their longevity and success and status as icons. Of course they're entitled, and I can understand the argument that they've earned it, but I'm old school - either you tour to support new material, or you do the golden oldies circuit where you just play your old hits and it's obvious that you're touring solely on legacy alone (like say The Moody Blues). Touring to support an EP of covers was questionable, but the 2nd leg of S&A was definitely unnecessary other than to make money (often playing the same venues), and both legs of the Time Machine tour supporting two songs was an obvious cash grab. Again, they're entitled, and if the fans are happy, that's cool, but for such an active band to only release an album of new studio material every 5 years is sad. I know they're older, and I understand that new albums don't make much if any money, but for me if a band is active they make studio albums, at least every once in awhile because music is creativity, and creativity is new material. Just how I feel...

20. Rush should have lip synched at the Olympics. Some will find it highly ironic that I accuse the group of selling out and appreciate the fact that they've kept their integrity while criticizing them for something that many would consider to be the ultimate sell-out and compromising of their integrity. I completely see and appreciate that point of view, and still I feel they missed the opportunity of a lifetime to be seen by the biggest audience they could ever dream of representing the best their country has to offer in music. Five minutes of lip synching was a small price to pay for that. Similarly, I think they've repeatedly shot themselves in the foot prior to a few years ago by not doing interviews and publicity for a long time - they could have pushed themselves into a higher echelon of popularity. Some would argue that this is a positive thing, but I disagree. I believe Rush should be as exposed to as many people as possible. Others want to keep them their little secret and love their status as the biggest cult band in the world. I think that's a fairly selfish point of view. They deserve a HUGE audience!

I agree with all these.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 2 2012, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ May 1 2012, 06:30 PM)
16.  I have great concerns over the state of Geddy's voice.  Listen to Rush in Rio.  Then listen to R30.  Then listen to S & A Live, then listen to TMT.  His voice has gotten much worse over that time.  You can cover it up with mixing and multiple takes on an album but live?  Yes he is pushing 60 but its been another couple of years since the TMT DVD was filmed.  With each of the above shows I think age shows more and more with his voice.  Just listen to Rush in Rio and then the TMT DVD.  Big change (IMO) and not for the better.  I have great concerns as to what we will get when they actually go on the road this time.  Hopping for the best but very worried.

Ah yes, I forgot about this one!

21. Geddy's voice is deteriorating rapidly live, and maybe it's time to call it quits. Some material on live albums / DVD's in recent years, as well as some recent bootlegs is really pretty painful and embarrassing. It's a shame, as otherwise the boys are playing at the top of their game, but this is the one element that's keeping them from sounding like the consummate professionals they are. Doing another tour is pushing it. Anything beyond that, and I think his voice is going to go beyond the point where even the diehards who don't seem to notice or care will start to notice and care. Obviously he can still pull off being of good voice in the studio with being able to do multiple takes, getting enough rest and breaks, etc.

Reluctantly, I agree with this. The Time Machine live album has some very awful vocal spots. This saddens me. It may be time for Ged to hang up the vocals on many songs. I love Rush, but some of the live recordings are embarrassing and further add to the Rush haters case.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Apr 19 2012, 02:13 AM)
Headlong Flight is quite nice. I love the guitars/bass/drums, but the melodies are lacking a bit and the vocals seem overproduced to the point where I can't understand half of what Geddy is saying. Nevertheless, I still think it's one of their best songs of the last decade!

QUOTE (Deckiller @ May 2 2012, 03:50 AM)
2. Headlong Flight is one of Rush's weaker songs. Poor melodies/singing, inconsistent lyrics, poor production, and repetitive sections drag down some good guitar/bass riffs and drum fills.

So HF went from one of the best Rush songs in the past decade to one of Rush's weaker songs in the span of 2 weeks? Boy you sure change your mind fast. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

these are just my opinions smile.gif

i really enjoyed snakes and arrows

a farewell to kings is better than moving pictures

i think the lyrics in bravest face are pretty poor by neil's standards

i think signals is a hit and miss record, i LOVE subdivisions, analog kid, losing it and digital man, the rest are average to me

despite the bashing geddy gets for his vocals nowadays, i really enjoy them, obviously his voice doesnt age gracefully, but i still think there is a lot left in him, i think the performance of presto from the TMT dvd is incredible and one of my favourite live vocal performances

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 2 2012, 07:05 AM)
Headlong Flight is quite nice. I love the guitars/bass/drums, but the melodies are lacking a bit and the vocals seem overproduced to the point where I can't understand half of what Geddy is saying. Nevertheless, I still think it's one of their best songs of the last decade!

So HF went from one of the best Rush songs in the past decade to one of Rush's weaker songs in the span of 2 weeks? Boy you sure change your mind fast. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

rofl3.gif

Deckiller got busted! pokey.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 2 2012, 05:05 AM)

First of all, it's scary that you took the time to research this. scared.gif tongue.gif

Secondly, sometimes first impressions of a song don't last long. I kind of take what people say about a new song and/or album with somewhat a grain of salt, as often it can take people a good year or more to get to a fully-formed opinion, myself included. People almost universally loved S&A when it first came out, and several months, or a year or even two years later when the newness of it wore off and people had lived with it for awhile, a lot of the more negative opinions started flowing in.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 2 2012, 07:05 AM)

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Or, he could be saying that Rush's entire past decade has really, really sucked. Therefore, a good song from the past decade is still weak.....no, wait....now I'm all confused......oh, screw it..... doh.gif doh.gif

I liked it at first but I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. And yeah, it's still one of Rush's best songs of the last decade. Like two-thirds of their post-Test for Echo stuff is in the "weaker" half IMO biggrin.gif

Everyday Glory is one of the best late-era Rush songs.

The Necromancer is.. well, just not that good for the most part.

I too like You bet Your Life!

Neil kills all the live versions of Working Man I've ever heard with way way too much overplaying. It's like he's purposely trying to show up John Rutsey (RIP) everytime and I think he ruins the song almost single-handedly.

I like the Steinberger!

QUOTE (aaronrusso @ May 2 2012, 08:40 AM)
a farewell to kings is better than moving pictures

I'm with this guy. MP is awesome but Kings is superior.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 09:18 PM)

Geddy's voice, live, is fading fast.

This is the one thing i forgot in my list . Sad but true

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 2 2012, 01:39 PM)

It's bound to happen.

Luckly, the guys are all still playing in top form. Musically, they are incredible, which is amazing after all this time.

With how good they are still managing to play live, I can live with Ged's voice the way it is. 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 2 2012, 01:00 PM)

It's bound to happen.

Luckly, the guys are all still playing in top form. Musically, they are incredible, which is amazing after all this time.

With how good they are still managing to play live, I can live with Ged's voice the way it is. 1022.gif

Hey , it happens to everyone. It just sucks because there are some songs he can't sing anymore and we will never hear live agian

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 1 2012, 11:26 PM)
This is unfortunately true and probably the main reason CA is going to be the final album. Geddy's voice is at its breaking point. I really can't see it lasting past R40.  eh.gif

I agree, Geddy's voice was sounding a little ragged on the TM tour stop that I saw. I also wanted to chime in with a few others that I don't find most of their skits to be that funny. It didn't bother me really before but if you added up the opening/closing skits on the TM tour, it came to about 11 minutes. That's way too long.

Edited by Apollo

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 2 2012, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 2 2012, 01:00 PM)

It's bound to happen.

Hey , it happens to everyone. It just sucks because there are some songs he can't sing anymore and we will never hear live agian

Agreed. Would love to hear him belt out some of the old tunes again...

Anthem

Something For Nothing

Although unlike most people, I'm fine with them tuning down the songs so long as we get to hear them!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 09:29 PM)
22. I liked Feedback and wouldn't mind if they did it again. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but I wouldn't complain.

Good point. I overlooked it.

17, I liked Feedback - Would have preferred original Rush material and post R30 tour did not want to hear any of it played live again but I sort of liked it.

Since I have sobered up I like 2.gif less. And have started to appreciate Classical music more. I also think Kansas is better then 2.gif . This will be 2.gif 's last studio cd/tour. Neil has the money he needed back in 1999 to retire. I think Neil will retire and fade away but Al and Ged will continue to record projects . I think that about covers it . Oh i forgot I also feel the keybord era was the best. I miss the synthesizers . Edited by patjnev

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 01:49 PM)
You say Ged and Neil can't be replaced ?
Billy Sheehan [billy can sing]
Terry Bozzio
See ? replaced
tongue.gif

The riser would have to be taller for Bozzio...

He was just here last night and played with U.K. at the Vic

ohmy.gif