Rate S&A

Gompers

Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 8 2012, 06:13 PM)
Hmmmm..... I give it a 5.

It's a lovely-sounding album... Alex's guitar tone has never been fuller, Neil's drums are very lifelike and expressive, and I like the experimentation with new types of percussion, and Geddy's bass playing is groovy as ever.

But the songwriting doesn't click for me. Most of the songs are exciting for 30 seconds or so and then get boring. I do love The Main Monkey Business though, and I hope they bring it out for the upcoming tour...

i really hope they don't bring back the main monkey business. a total waste of 5 or 6 minutes.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rating = 6.66

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 13 2012, 02:45 PM)

It's a lovely-sounding album... Alex's guitar tone has never been fuller, Neil's drums are very lifelike and expressive, and I like the experimentation with new types of percussion, and Geddy's bass playing is groovy as ever.

But the songwriting doesn't click for me. Most of the songs are exciting for 30 seconds or so and then get boring. I do love The Main Monkey Business though, and I hope they bring it out for the upcoming tour...

i really hope they don't bring back the main monkey business. a total waste of 5 or 6 minutes.

I normally love Rush's instrumentals, but TMMB just sounds like total filler to me. It's basically the same riff repeated over and over again for 5 minutes and unlike La Villa or YYZ or WMT or LTTA, the song just doesn't go anywhere nor even fit in with the rest of the album.

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Apr 14 2012, 09:00 PM)
It's decent, 6/10. Too much filler.

this holds the distinction of the first Rush album I almost tossed out of my car window at 50 mph out of sheer frustration of how uninteresting and lame most of the songs were despite the people on here insisting that I'm supposed to give it a chance and listen over and over again so I finally "get it". Well I guess I never "got it". I found Velvet Revolver's 'Libertad' and Jet's 'Shine On' much much more enjoyable CDs for that time period.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 14 2012, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Apr 14 2012, 09:00 PM)
It's decent, 6/10.  Too much filler.

this holds the distinction of the first Rush album I almost tossed out of my car window at 50 mph out of sheer frustration of how uninteresting and lame most of the songs were despite the people on here insisting that I'm supposed to give it a chance and listen over and over again so I finally "get it". Well I guess I never "got it". I found Velvet Revolver's 'Libertad' and Jet's 'Shine On' much much more enjoyable CDs for that time period.

Yeah, understandable

Gave it an 8...but I'd lean more towards 7.5....a solid effort, nonetheless...

The Good

Far Cry

Armor & Sword

Workin' The Angels

The Main Money Business

Bravest Face

Hope

MalNar

The OK

The Way The Wind Blows

Spindrift

Faithless

The Not So Good

The Larger Bowl

Good News First

We Hold On

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 14 2012, 08:45 PM)

I normally love Rush's instrumentals, but TMMB just sounds like total filler to me. It's basically the same riff repeated over and over again for 5 minutes and unlike La Villa or YYZ or WMT or LTTA, the song just doesn't go anywhere nor even fit in with the rest of the album.

But the guitar tone on the TMMB solo is just amazing! One of my favorite solos, ever.

I gave it an 8. It's a solid album if you ask me.

You can say what you want about it, but Bravest Face is my favorite song from the album. The Way The Wind Blows is my 2nd favorite. Other favorites include Armor and Sword, all the instrumentals, Faithless, Working Them Angels, and The Larger Bowl.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 14 2012, 07:45 PM)

Agreed, one of the worst songs on the album to me. Z

Last time i checked ? Yep, still sucked

A solid 8 for me. One of the things about Peart and what hes written in the years since he had that double tragedy is that many of those songs deal with loss and the fact that sometimes you just gotta take what comes. Sometimes fate has a way of pulling the rug out from under you and theres really nothin you can do but accept it. You can only go the way the wind blows, that's how it is, put on your bravest face, etc etc. And because Ive had some heavy things happen to me in recent years, suddenly I found myself really connecting with these songs and using them cathartically. I identify in a profound way with those sentiments hes tryin to convey. So, sometimes when I listen to Bravest Face, I turn it up LOUD cause its almost like I can gain strength from listening and singin along. BF by the way is definitely one of my favs from the album.

Anyway, long live 2.gif

Edited by monger

Far Cry, 4/5, .8

Armor and Sword, 4/5, .8

Workin Them Angels, 3/5, .6

The Larger Bowl, 2/5, .4

Spindrift, 3/5, .6

Main Monkey Business, 4/5, .8

Way the Wind Blows, 5/5, 1

Hope - N/A

Faithless, 3/5, .6

Bravest Face, 3/5, .6

Good News First, 2/5, .4

Malignant Narcissism, 3/5, .6

We Hold On, 2/5, .4

Second Half of the album really weighs it down

63%

I gave an 8.....yes an 8. I enjoy it very much. Save for Bravest Face, Good News First, Malnar, and We Hold on. Yes it's very anti-religion.....but so what. I think to, that the main Monkey Business is one of the best instrumentals they've done 1022.gif The production is not the best. But it's WAY better then what followed.

So 8....My fav latter day album. trink38.gif

Mick