Rate S&A

Gompers

Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Hard to believe the same band that produced Hemispheres, AFTK, Permanent Waves, 2112, and Moving Pictures made this album.

I give it a 9. It get's a 7.5 compared to other Rush albums and a bonus 1.5 for the pure fanboy heck of it.

Of course I don't think I'd give any Rush album anything below a 7

Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 29 2012, 04:33 PM)
I originally would have said 8, but I voted 7.  Listening in the gym a few nights ago, I do agree that a couple of tracks kind of drag towards the end.

If they had dropped four tracks and changed the order a bit, it could have looked something like this:

Far Cry
Workin' Them Angels
The Larger Bowl
Spindrift
Malignant Narcissism
Armor and Sword
The Main Monkey Business
The Way The Wind Blows
Faithless

I think this would have EASILY made S&A an 8 or 9.  And they could have released Good News, Bravest Face, Hope, and We Hold On as bonus tracks a few years later. tongue.gif

Drop 'We Hold On' ohmy.gif ? That song kicks ass! 1022.gif tongue.gif

I give a 7, a strong 7. A remarkably consistent effort with mostly very good songs but few real all time greats. Heavy record.

Well it's obviously not a 10, or a 9, or an 8...

For me it's a 7...

The acoustic guitar that I hoped would be more in the classical vein, like on A Farewell to Kings, is too much of the pseudo folk-pop variety. Ironically I do like the folky Larger Bowl, even though most seem to hate it.

I also like Far Cry (the game was ok too), Armor and Sword, Working Them Angels, The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism and The Way the Wind Blows. Not that I'd ever put them in my top 30 Rush songs or anything, but I think they're pretty good.

Spindrift is ok but my thoughts always tend to wander during this song, I don't hate it though.

I don't really like, Hope, Faithless, Good News First, We Hold On or Bravest Face, this bunch are a pretty mediocre collection of tunes. And not only does my mind wander when they're playing, but I tend to tune them out somewhat, having already heard the better tunes, then suddenly the album is over. It's like an audio induced blackout, though I know I did listen to them...

So yeah it's noticeable that most of the best songs are all at the beginning of the disc. I don't think I've come across an album where the best tunes were more obviously stacked up like that.

Anyway I like most of the album and I don't hate the weaker tracks, they're more kind of meh. All of this adds up to a 7

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 29 2012, 05:38 PM)
Where's the zero option?

Oh, I forgot to start the rankings with Tony R., then 1,2,3....

tongue.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 29 2012, 02:33 PM)
I originally would have said 8, but I voted 7. Listening in the gym a few nights ago, I do agree that a couple of tracks kind of drag towards the end.

If they had dropped four tracks and changed the order a bit, it could have looked something like this:

Far Cry
Workin' Them Angels
The Larger Bowl
Spindrift
Malignant Narcissism
Armor and Sword
The Main Monkey Business
The Way The Wind Blows
Faithless

I think this would have EASILY made S&A an 8 or 9. And they could have released Good News, Bravest Face, Hope, and We Hold On as bonus tracks a few years later. tongue.gif

For me if you dropped:

Good News First

Faithless

Bravest Face

We Hold On

The Larger Bowl

Then the album would be a solid 9. As it is, 6.5, but for modern day Rush, that's still much more than I could have possibly expected, so I'm damn happy with the album. yes.gif

0 . Will Never be played agian . REO Speedwagon does Metal

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 30 2012, 10:09 AM)
0 . Will Never be played agian . REO Speedwagon does Metal

I see. Well there is the issue with you. It is not metal, like most of Rush music. IMO, calling Rush metal is just about a joke.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 30 2012, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 30 2012, 10:09 AM)
0 . Will Never be played agian .  REO Speedwagon does Metal

I see. Well there is the issue with you. It is not metal, like most of Rush music. IMO, calling Rush metal is just about a joke.

It's not an issue if it's not metal, i just don't like the Songs or the Over production of it. If you don't think Rush is Metal , cool. Go to a Bookstore and in the Music section you will find a few books on the history of H.M. Rush is in every one of those books . The 2 new songs are Metal imo . Listen to the intro to BU2B , that's Metal alright

Based on the first 66 votes, I figured the average rating is 6.68, which I think is great, not just because it's pretty close to my rating of 6.5 (which I decided to rate down to a 6 as opposed to up to a 7), but because with all this album gets trashed nowadays on TRF, it's actually done a lot better than I expected. This is a good thing, as it's a very good album and doesn't need to be dragged through the mud like it often is.

And even that 6.68 is deceiving as over 65% of the voters gave it a 7, 8 or 9.

2. FarCry is pretty good. The remainder is painful. Just dreadful wretchedness. Listening to it is a reasonably effective laxative.

Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone likes it, but there you guys are. trink39.gif

I'd have given it a one but its Rush and I just couldn't.