Your Pick of This Sorry Bunch?

Steevo

Which 80s Album Wins Out?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which 80s Album Wins Out?

• Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto

Power Windows, the least stinky of the three.

That album marked the shift in Rush's style and approach. Although the tremors could be felt with GUP. Had I not been the biggest Rush freak in the world, I would have done what most fans did at that point, drift away. As a drummer there was always something to dig into until the "Great Gruber Debacle". Or maybe I just got better by then.

Because I was a Rush freak (biggest in the world), I found things to like about each new album, until Snakes. There is some good stuff on each album (except Snakes wink.gif ) I would have to say that loyalty and fandom made me like these albums much more than I would have if anyone else had put them out.

I liken it to still being a Redskin fan. After 20 years of nothing, I can't not love them.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry bunch? Stinkers? I'm confused. I think Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are terrific albums. Presto is okay, but hardly a stinker. Anyway, Power Windows is probably the best out of the three, if only because Hold Your Fire is a tad too long.

I have to say that I am heartened by all the responses to the effect that the OP is mistaken in the premise of this thread; that these 3 albums are "sorry" or "stinkers." I love that critical thinking is on such grand display.

Frankly, if I thought any Rush album was such, I wouldn't be as big a fan as I am 2.gif 1022.gif

Edited by HowItIs

The keyboards on Power Windows have dated better than Hold Your Fire.On some Power Windows songs it sounds like Vangelis or Jean Michel Jarre has joined the band.

In the eighties I hated that cheesy electric piano and that put me off Hold Your Fire, as well as some of the other synth sounds.Also Alex's guitar was very thin and full of treble.Definitely the weakest sounding album although the live versions of the songs are better.

Presto was an improvement, fuller guitar sound but too many songs.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 2 2012, 04:31 PM)
Power Windows, but hardly a sorry bunch. That would be between the first three Rush albums.

...aaaaand the first three albums are hardly a sorry bunch, either (that would be between 2112, RTB and T4E)

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 2 2012, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 2 2012, 04:31 PM)
Power Windows, but hardly a sorry bunch.  That would be between the first three Rush albums.

...aaaaand the first three albums are hardly a sorry bunch, either (that would be between 2112, RTB and T4E)

Wrong again!

3 Stinkers are Debut, S&A, and Signals

smile.gif

I consider Power Windows to be easily the strongest of these three. Just an all around great album and kind of the standard by which I measure all the albums that followed it. The other two would be in the lower third of Rush albums for me, only because they're more on the lighter side. But they're far from being stinkers; Rush just is not capable of such a thing.

Gotta go with Presto....never liked the other two even when they first came out.... Power Windows sounds to "BRIGHT" for my taste, and I hate 95% of the songs on HYF.

Presto is them heading back into a better direction!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 2 2012, 09:28 PM)
Power Windows easily. Though, none of them are stinkers.

^THIS

Stinkers? Please.

1) Power Windows is absolutely FLAWLESS. 8 outstanding songs! When 'The Big Money' is the "weakest" song on here, you know you have a winner. Easily a Top 5 album for this guy.

2) HYF is nearly perfect...with Tai Shan and High Water bringing it down a bit. I still like both songs, but their quality is not up to par with the rest of the album. The other 8 tracks are all fantastic.

3) Presto is a solid album. Lots of strong tunes on here...Scars, Chain Lightning, Available Light, Show Don't Tell, The Pass, and Presto are all fantastic. Sure, the album is probably a bit too long, but overall, a strong effort with production that was too thin.