1. 1. Which 80s Album Wins Out?

• Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion... they are NOT sorry. None of them. But I voted HYF because I love every song on it while I have one from each of the others that I'm ambivalent about...

Having been given Sector 3 for Christmas, Hold Your Fire is still as bad as I remember. I hated that electric piano and cheesy synth sounds and Alex's guitar sounds really trebly and thin.

The songs sound miles better live on ASOH thankfully.

It's difficult to choose between HYF and PoW. At gunpoint, I would pick HYF. Presto has Superconductor on it and therefore loses easily.

I vote for what the album has in it's favor, rather than what it has against it.

Presto wins that way in my mind.

Good songs on Power Windows:

Big Money

Manhattan Project

Territories

Middletown Dreams

Mystic Rhythms

Good songs on Hold Your Fire:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Mission

Good Songs on Presto:

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Scars

Presto

Red Tide

Available Light

Presto is in my top 5 Rush albums, probably top 3, I'd have to think too much at 6:30 am to come up with that list though.

None of these are stinkers, IMO, although Presto desperately needed more of a "hard rock" producer to bring out the strength of the written songs.

PoW will win, but I'm partial to HYF, save the last two songs. I love Geddy's bass on HYF, his vocals on "Time Stand Still," the lyrics on all the songs, and the album's overall theme.

Hold Your Fire for me. But I don't agree with any of these albums being "stinkers" at all. In fact both PoW and HYF are both in the top 5 Rush albums for me with HYF being 2nd only to Moving Pictures. There are no songs on either album that I don't enjoy listening to and for the most part, I really like the keyboards too - I couldn't imagine songs like Mystic Rhythms and Open Secrets working without them, despite what people say. Hell, I even enjoy most of Presto though there are a couple of songs on that album I find to be real clunkers (especially Anagram 062802puke_prv.gif). Each to their own I guess.

Power Windows just shades HYF for me. Can not say any are stinkers though - love them all. And just what is wrong with Superconductor?? Saw them play this live and it just rocked (with the bouncing bunnies!)

2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 2 2012, 10:26 AM)
Power Windows is close to a masterpiece. Presto is pretty darn good. Hold Your Fire is good but hit and miss and toward the bottom half of Rush records for me.

goodpost.gif

I voted PRW..HYF o.d.'d on the synths.worst LP,imo.

I thought signals was bad, when it first came out..

but the signals LP sounds like a heavy metal rock LP,

compared to HYF. Presto had a few decent tunes

on it, imo.