• Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2112mjh @ Jan 2 2012, 12:07 PM)
Power Windows just shades HYF for me. Can not say any are stinkers though - love them all. And just what is wrong with Superconductor?? Saw them play this live and it just rocked (with the bouncing bunnies!)

2.gif

The song did rock live, and I remember the audience response as very strong, especially coming out of Xanadu. I know the prog purists hate it, but I enjoy it. It's a fun song, and the bridge is great.

I listened to Presto this morning oddly, and it confirmed its place for me above PW and for sure HYF (which I really don't care much for overall).

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 4 2012, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 2 2012, 08:34 AM)
How are they a 'sorry bunch'? Why 'stinkers'?

Look up the word opinion in the dictionary. He hates these 80s albums. A lot of Rush fans do, they're allowed to feel that way.

Apologies for this - it was only a question. And yes, people are allowed opinions. Now you know why I keep out of most of these pages - I get taken the wrong way.

The only one I'd consider weak there is Presto, and even it has songs I enjoy present on it.

Honestly, I don't see what could bring a person to dislike Power Windows. Did you get raped while it was playing, or what?

I use HYF as a drink coaster

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Jan 4 2012, 05:06 PM)
From the thread title, I thought this was about Republican nominees, misplaced from SOCN.

and I thought it was about Barry's new campaign slogans

go figure

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Jan 4 2012, 12:30 PM)
The only one I'd consider weak there is Presto, and even it has songs I enjoy present on it.

Honestly, I don't see what could bring a person to dislike Power Windows. Did you get raped while it was playing, or what?

PoW is the definition of dated and over-the-top.

However, the album is no stinker

Marathon, Mystic Rhythms, Manhattan Project, and Territories are all fabulous songs.

And the other 4 are not really that bad...

Sometimes I like stuff because it IS dated. If I want to flashback to the 1980s, I have the option. This reminds me of another thread, so I'll post this there as well.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 4 2012, 01:29 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 4 2012, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 2 2012, 08:34 AM)
How are they a 'sorry bunch'? Why 'stinkers'?

Look up the word opinion in the dictionary. He hates these 80s albums. A lot of Rush fans do, they're allowed to feel that way.

Apologies for this - it was only a question. And yes, people are allowed opinions. Now you know why I keep out of most of these pages - I get taken the wrong way.

Just ignore it, Babycat. To some people, your opinion is just that and their opinion is the gospel truth. eyesre4.gif

Sorry bunch?? Stinkers?? Not even close. Power Windows and HYF were the 1st 2 Rush albums I ever bought (got them at the same time) and have always liked them.

Presto I did not like at all when it came out. Saw the tour and that did not help. The album basically went into storage until after the VT tour when The Pass ignited a little interest in that one song. The rest of the album was still a clunker. Then I saw them play the title cut on the last tour and that got me to go back and listen to the album again. It was at that point that the album shot up in my rankings and now it also sees regular service in my CD player.

In short, all 3 are really good albums. Want some stinkers? Try self titled, Caress of Steel and VT. (IMO that is)

I voted for HYF. As much as I now like Presto it still does not come close to the other 2. Power Windows has 8 strong songs. HYF has 9 strong songs. Yes thats 9 - I like Tai Shan. The only one I don't like is High Water. You can argue the merits of the individual songs but in the end 9 beats 8. Plus, if you want to get into the merits of the songs HYF has Time Stand Still which is the strongest song from all 3 albums.

Strongest single song plus 9 v. 8 adds up to a HYF vote.