No Opening Act?

That One Guy

Just thought I'd ask around, do people like that Rush has chosen to do away with an opening act for the past five tours? I've only seen this years show so I wouldn't have another to compare it to, but other shows I've been to do well with a good opening act. It's not like Rush doesn't play enough songs in their shows, but each tour will mean them playing a little less and less. They're getting old.

They ditched opening acts after the Counterparts tour. That's how you lucky bastids saw 2112 performed in its entirety back in '96-'97

Yeah, we'd be there for four or five hours. That's just too long for me personally; I need to conserve myself for the overwhelming Rush experience. Although, Rush is energizing, not draining...so maybe what I'm trying to say is that I'd be too restless and not give proper attention to another band if I knew Rush was coming; it would just be too unfair.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/the-amazing-kreskin1-1.jpg

I remember when I saw Kreskin in 89. Rush opened a few shows for him on the Presto tour. It seemed fitting I guess? but I was pissed when Kreskin only performed for an hour and a half. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I know everyone's got to get a start somewhere but I like that Rush doesn't have an opener. If they did we'd be there till breakfast [not like that's a problem tongue.gif ]!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 18 2010, 07:14 PM)
Yeah, we'd be there for four or five hours. That's just too long for me personally; I need to conserve myself for the overwhelming Rush experience. Although, Rush is energizing, not draining...so maybe what I'm trying to say is that I'd be too restless and not give proper attention to another band if I knew Rush was coming; it would just be too unfair.

I saw an AC/DC cover band last weekend. But before they played any AC/DC they just played their own music. When they took a break I asked them if they were the AC/DC cover band. The guitar player said that they open for themselves. Sure enough they came back in charactor, and in costume as AC/DC. I think Rush should do that, but still play their 3 hour show.

Even in 1981 they had no opener when I saw them in the UK, and they have never had one each time I have been -

It would be weird now to see someone else just before Rush ..

Leave us alone and let us Max Out .. ..

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 18 2010, 08:09 PM)
They ditched opening acts after the Counterparts tour. That's how you lucky bastids saw 2112 performed in its entirety back in '96-'97

That first tour without the opening act was so awesome! An Evening With RUSH! 2112 in its entirety will always be one of my personal RUSH highlights!

I am so glad they don't have an opening act anymore. I have seen Primus and Mr. Big open for RUSH and I don't have anything against either band, but all they did for me was allow me to show up late to the shows.

Plus I had some Primus fans sit by me once and all they did was rag on RUSH, which was just plain annoying.

Lastly, any opening act would cut time off the RUSH show and I'd rather have 1 minute more RUSH than any other band playing.

I always felt the band opening for Rush felt weird. The thing is, Rush is so unique that really, how do you "warm up" for that? It always felt so . . . lacking, whatever the opening band did.

I actually was pretty stoked to see Primus open up for Rush, given that they are a pretty unique band themselves, but it didn't really work for me. In the end, I just ended up thinking to myself "man, I can't wait for this to be over so I can see Rush".

Not that I'm a huge Primus fan- but I'm always interested to hear live music whatever it is. Usually I love hearing opening bands that I'm less familiar with just to get the exposure to new stuff. But with Rush it's just different somehow. They have their own epic thing going and no one else really fits in sharing that stage.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Oct 18 2010, 11:57 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 18 2010, 07:14 PM)

I saw an AC/DC cover band last weekend. But before they played any AC/DC they just played their own music. When they took a break I asked them if they were the AC/DC cover band. The guitar player said that they open for themselves. Sure enough they came back in charactor, and in costume as AC/DC. I think Rush should do that, but still play their 3 hour show.

That's pretty cool for them to have done that.

I'm all for an opening act for Rush AS LONG AS it doesn't cut the Rush set by any time. I like checking out new bands/new music. However, I'm pretty sure if Rush did have an opener next tour, I'd spend that time doing some extra tailgating with my TRF buds.

They've been so long without an opening act, I think we're all too spoiled to go back. I like hearing new music as much as the next person but when I'm in the mood for a RUSH show...I want a RUSH show. Nothing else compares. I'd be sitting through the opener, looking at my watch...or maybe skip it altogether.

Usually opening bands give you a little padding in case you're running late getting to the venue. I never cared for anyone I saw open for Rush (and no, I did NOT get to see Marillion open for them the year they did most of Misplaced Childhood. I was, of course, in the wrong city. Pissed. Me. Off).

No way, they have to many songs to have an opening act

My first Rush concert was in 1996 so I haven't seen them with an opening act and would never want to. 99% of opening bands are forgettable anyways as far as i'm conserned. In my 18 years of going to concerts I can count on one hand the amount of opening bands that have actually made an impression on me. Most of them are openers for a reason. Every now and then someone will make a huge splash as an opening act for a major rock tour but it's not too often.

I think they enjoy playing for as long as they do. With no opening act there's no equipment changes to go through and less opportunity for something to goof up like the sound mix being bad. Plus, why on earth would you want an opener and give up hearing more Rush confused13.gif That makes no sense to me wink.gif

It was the Test For Echo tour (96/97) that they went to the "evening with Rush"concept which includes a 3-hour set, no opening act, an intermission, and themed humorous videos. I think it really works ... it gives us a lot of music and an overall high-quality show. If they left this format, I would be very dispointed...

Only been forced to sit through one opening act for Rush...Tommy Shaw on the HYF tour. Lame.

The only other band I've seen multiple times, like Rush, is U2. I've seen them 4 times. At the more recent shows, I've found myself wondering--while having to sit through the opening act--why can't U2 do this like Rush? Why should I have to sit through 45 mins. of a band/artist I could care less about (Nelly Furtado?? Really?) when U2 has more than enough material to fill a 3 hour show?

(And it would give Bono more time to preach about something. eyesre4.gif )

So glad Rush chose to dispense with all that.

Archived