No Opening Act?

That One Guy

I would rather see my favorite band play and start early than to see an opening act. Most opening acts are not all that good IMHO. That, and I am just not a night person so I would prefer them start and end early.

I have seen 3 concerts this year. Two had no opening acts- Rush and Lynyrd Skynyrd. The other one- Scorpions- did. Not necessary at all.

There are a few plusses to having an opening act:

1. It means that Rush will begin their show in darkness. I hate the first set in daylight

2. Possible chance to see a band like Marillion or Steve Morse. Ahhh, we remember the awful and forget the awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I love " An Evening With Rush" but if If the C.A. tour was Rush with Special guest Dream Theater without the F#$$#$ baby Mike Portnoy; I'd be alright with that.

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Oct 19 2010, 11:04 AM)
Bring back Max Webster!!

Agree...saw Rush w/ Max Webster on the MP tour 3/11/81 in Indy. I believe (though my Alzheimer's prevents me from being sure) that Geddy came on stage and played a song with them prior to Rush's set. Can't remember which song it was though I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Rush song.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 19 2010, 09:01 PM)
There are a few plusses to having an opening act:

1. It means that Rush will begin their show in darkness. I hate the first set in daylight

2. Possible chance to see a band like Marillion or Steve Morse. Ahhh, we remember the awful and forget the awesome.

Tell me - does Mr. Big fall into the category of "awful" or "awesome"? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 19 2010, 01:19 PM)
Usually opening bands give you a little padding in case you're running late getting to the venue. I never cared for anyone I saw open for Rush (and no, I did NOT get to see Marillion open for them the year they did most of Misplaced Childhood. I was, of course, in the wrong city. Pissed. Me. Off).

Ha!!

I caught Marillion on their own tour for Misplaced Childhood - outdoor on the hottest day of the Summer, 94 degrees - (it is the UK)

They were fantastic : played the whole album end to end

Also caugt their "Script" Tour .. . shame they parted company

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Oct 18 2010, 07:53 PM)
Just thought I'd ask around, do people like that Rush has chosen to do away with an opening act for the past five tours? I've only seen this years show so I wouldn't have another to compare it to, but other shows I've been to do well with a good opening act. It's not like Rush doesn't play enough songs in their shows, but each tour will mean them playing a little less and less. They're getting old.

'81 to '94 I saw Riot, Mr. Big, Candlebox, etc. open. Bottom line: They don't NEED an opening act. Nor did Led Zeppelin after '75, hence "An Evening With Led Zeppelin". Just three hours of the one band you want to see. ...KP

I got to see them with Marillion (excellent) MSG (Horrid) Mr. Big (OK) Eric Johnson (Fantastic) and Candlebox (WTF?) Interestingly enough, when I saw Candlebox they performed the beginning of Working Man with Geddy singing from off-stage. That was probably the best opening band moment from an opening band that did not make sense...to me anyway. Since 96 I have been happily waiting for Rush when I get to my seat. I wouldn't want in any other way.

Rush has become to big and has way too many songs to bother with an opeing band these days! Besides an opening band would mean less Rush songs! I think their shows are perfect now as they are! Let them enjoy their Limelight by them selves!

trink39.gif

Maybe one of the reasons they gave up having opening acts is that it woud become harder to avoid these "prog metal" bands, and I don't think old school fans would the happy with it.

I think Dream Theater would be the most natural opening act for Rush today. But come on! I hate those pseudo-nerd dudes playing endles scales like it was the most advanced exercise on the latest edition of the Guitar Player magazine!

Neh!

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Oct 19 2010, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (Syrinx @ Oct 19 2010, 11:04 AM)
Bring back Max Webster!!

Agree...saw Rush w/ Max Webster on the MP tour 3/11/81 in Indy. I believe (though my Alzheimer's prevents me from being sure) that Geddy came on stage and played a song with them prior to Rush's set. Can't remember which song it was though I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Rush song.

Geddy came out wearing a mask and sang Battlescar. cool10.gif

NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif Rush is just too good to have an opening act. When I went to my first Rush concert when I was 4 (Vapor Trails) I remember asking my dad:

" Where's the first band?" My dad replied with: " There isn't one, just 3 hours of Rush!!!"

I saw them on the GuP tour and Y&T opened up for them...in between each song they yelled "ROCK AND F%#@ING ROLL!" and even though I'm no prude...I thought it was inappropriate for a Rush show....

On the PoW tour, no one opened where I saw them (Baltimore, I think Blue Oyster Cult canceled for that night for some reason)

On the HyF tour I saw Tommy Shaw open up...when he did a Styx tune, everyone was happy, when he did a tune off his solo album, he got booed!

I missed the next few tours, but got to see them at least once on every tour since starting with the T4E tour....3 hours of Rush is the ONLY way to see them!

QUOTE (The Maples @ Oct 18 2010, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 18 2010, 07:14 PM)
Yeah, we'd be there for four or five hours. That's just too long for me personally; I need to conserve myself for the overwhelming Rush experience. Although, Rush is energizing, not draining...so maybe what I'm trying to say is that I'd be too restless and not give proper attention to another band if I knew Rush was coming; it would just be too unfair.

I saw an AC/DC cover band last weekend. But before they played any AC/DC they just played their own music. When they took a break I asked them if they were the AC/DC cover band. The guitar player said that they open for themselves. Sure enough they came back in charactor, and in costume as AC/DC. I think Rush should do that, but still play their 3 hour show.

You think Rush should come out as an AC/DC cover band? fing.gif

common001.gif

Archived