OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 1 2010, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 12:38 PM)
Is it just me or is this band's sound and their albums getting progressively worse?...Guess that's what they mean by prog rock.

S&A sounded worse than VT? no.gif

Exactly...I have no idea where he was going with his post?!

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 1 2010, 12:37 PM)
Some great reactions here, both positive and negative, and two things stand out for me about the complaints. 

First, regarding the musical "style" of these tracks.  It's very interesting after S&A, which some derided as "lazy," "slow," or even "adult contemporary," now we seem to have swung in the opposite direction.  Now, it's ironic to hear folks complain about the new stuff being "strange sounding," "grungy," "too heavy," and not "catchy" or "sing-along." tongue.gif Personally, I think it's great that Rush has pushed themselves and us with this new material.  I can understand some folks still wishing the new stuff sounded more like PeW or MP, but the bottom line is that this is most definitely Rush 2010, not Rush 1980.     

Second, regarding the perceived "awkward" or "shoehorned" lyrics for Caravan.  I think this is simply the result of trying to sing over a FREAKING INSANE Lifeson guitar riff. 1022.gif  I mean, that verse riff is just sick and sounds to me like some mutant offspring of Stick it Out and La Villa. 1022.gif  Of course trying to sing and phrase lyrics over this riff is going to be challenging.  The other option would have been to simplify the riff during the singing, but I'm glad they went with the crazy riff rather than dumbing it down.   

I think the main issue is that both tunes are very musically dense and intense.  There is a lot going on, packed into just five or six mintues.  I do think that we'll get some more expansive or "relaxed" tunes on the album to balance these out.  But so far, I am really glad that Rush is challenging themseves and us with their new music. 1022.gif

Caravan Reminds me of the riff in Double Agent, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite Rush songs.

Alex definitely came up with a very sick and cool sounding riff that will automatically make Caravan one of my all-time favorites

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 1 2010, 06:37 PM)
Of course trying to sing and phrase lyrics over this riff is going to be challenging.  The other option would have been to simplify the riff during the singing, but I'm glad they went with the crazy riff rather than dumbing it down.   

Or make Neil rewrite the lyrics to fit.

Better still, get Geddy (who has to sing them) write them in the first place.

Edited by Fridge

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 1 2010, 12:40 PM)
Is it just me or is this band's sound and their albums getting progressively worse?...Guess that's what they mean by prog rock.

S&A sounded worse than VT? no.gif

I'm not talking about the sound; we all know about the VT problems. I'm talking about the music. They went from being melody driven (kind of Zeppelinish) to being almost grunge where it's like lets just jam for 10 minutes and put in on tape, who cares if the lyrics don't fit and if it all sounds like heavy metal grunge. Again IMO.

ok after 5 listenings, Caravan is great qunitessential Rush. Sounds like Nick went in the studio and told them"You guys are Rush! WOW ME!"

BU2B is really good but not quite as chill inducing as Caravan.

Overall, I'm more than happy. 1022.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 1 2010, 10:44 AM)
Caravan Reminds me of the riff in Double Agent, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite Rush songs.

Alex definitely came up with a very sick and cool sounding riff that will automatically make Caravan one of my all-time favorites

it reminded me of Stick It Out, without the suck.

I think these two songs are fukking GREAT! Listened to them a few times on my way down to work this morning.

I love them!! I think Geddy's bass lines are fantastic! They rip!

Excellent heavy music!!

These two songs get a big fat A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

after a couple of listens I love them so far.....i do kind of agree with some of the posters that I wish Neil would move on to a new subject instead of his anti-religion thing. small issue but other than that i really dig the tunes.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:49 PM)

It reminds me of Presto...except Caravan doesn't suck in every conceivable way.

Caravan pretty much prison rapes Presto & RTB and leaves them whimpering in the corner of the jail cell.

(rim shot)

Don't forget to tip your waitress..! Try the veal...!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 02:02 PM)

Caravan pretty much prison rapes Presto & RTB and leaves them whimpering in the corner of the jail cell.

You mean "Caravan" is the one forcing those albums to eat the c--- meat sandwich?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 02:02 PM)

You mean "Caravan" is the one forcing those albums to eat the c--- meat sandwich?

z7shysterical.gif

Yes! Caravan can't talk right now, he's busy tatooing boobs on the back of Presto. RTB is still in the shower crying

Paraphrasing: Someone please notice me.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 1 2010, 02:19 PM)

Paraphrasing: Someone please notice me.

laugh.gif

Agreed.

Ok, I just listened to each song for the 5th time. First impressions and the warm glow of newness is starting to wear off. Why have I only listened to it 5 times? If I was in love with the songs, I probably would have listened a lot more by now.

Yikes, I gotta say that my opinion of these songs are dropping. I don't want it to drop, and I hope I feel differently once I hear it on CD as opposed to just YouTube, but I suspect the sonic improvement will only take me so far. I love the intro part to Caravan and the instrumental break, but the rest not quite as much. BU2B is good, but it's feeling too heavy without enough melody for me, or the melody is trapped by the heaviness without enough breathing room. Vocally and lyrically it's not bad, but it's not thrilling me either. eh.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:16 AM)
A few here were commenting on the vocal melodies in "Caravan," saying they weren't catchy or whatever. That might be true for much of the song, but that "I can't stop thinking big" section is gorgeously melodic and it complements the heaviness of the rest of the song very nicely.

This