OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 12:08 AM)
Listening to Caravan again: it's like hearing Freewill for the first time, all chills, smiles and just thinking, "for f*cks sake this could the best thing they've ever done."

all I know is that Caravan is now a song I'll never tire of hearing, like TS or Kid Gloves or La Villa.

Clearly, this is Old Rush meets New Rush, combining the best parts of both. Which is what many of us have been wanting for a while now. The boys are PLAYING on these songs.

This too!

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 02:45 AM)
Ok, I've just listened to both of these on Youtube about three or four times.

Caravan is great. There, I've said it. tongue.gif

First thing that strikes me is that the guitar sound is much better than S&A and is like a more modern take on his "classic" tone, with just enough chorus in it to give that slightly "wide" effect that we have been missing for a while.

Production wise seems pretty good (though you have to allow for Youtube compression of course) and there is good instrument separation here.

Nice time changes and excellent breakdown later on in the song. Not too impressed with the solo though and felt the song deserved slightly better.

Vocally, nothing too special, and the verses are a little awkward though the "I Can't stop thinming big" bit is very nice indeed.

So far it pisses over everything in S&A with the possible exception of Armour and Sword and though not exactlky a return to form it is very good indeed.

Oh, and it's definitely metal 1022.gif

BU2B......meh so far, but I have a feeling it's a grower..we shall see.

OH

MY

GOD ohmy.gif

scuse me while i check the skies for frogs and the streets for craters

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 05:38 AM)
I actually had an argument with my friend for almost two hours about these songs. He thinks they've gotten lazy and are just re-hashing the same sound as the last two albums. I disagree.

smack your friend upside the head, k?

thanks

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 1 2010, 11:51 AM)
Liking BU2B, dont like Caravan at all. Sounds very odd, no melodies, lyrics sound like they're shoehorned into there, very awkward.

Whilst I think Caravan is excellenmt musically, I do hear you on ther vocal melody.

Although the "shoehorning" isn't nearly as bad as on some recent efforts it is still there, and I wish they'd addressed that a bit more thoroughly, as they seem to have fixed just about everything else.

Its not my favorite thing about RUSH...but Geddy does tend to shoehorn thy lyrics into the melody...so, it's still "classic RUSH" smile.gif

Well both songs are exactly what I was hoping for, I LOVE THEM.

Anyone notice that Alex is listed on keyboards in the pdf? maybe they just meant bass pedals, but if he is indeed playing keys on these songs then I can almost guarantee that Time Stand Still will make it into the setlist for the time machine tour smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (Netboy @ Jun 1 2010, 12:24 PM)
"believe in what we're told." Oh man, awesome. Love the lyrics and the melody. I agree, it is fresh stuff.

I dunno! I don't find it that fresh personally..

It's a slightly fresh sound, but if you're looking for the radical shift of Rush to FBN or MP to Signals, or RTB to CP, it's nowhere close to that kind of shift.

It doesn't sound exactly like S&A, but there are a lot of similarities in the sound to the last 3 or 4 albums. It's hardly a radical departure.

Not radical, but it's a progression from S&A for certain.

BU2B - that has got to be the angriest-sounding Rush song I have ever heard. The melody matches the lyrics perfectly. And I love it.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:56 PM)
If Neil "can't stop thinking big" then why is it all he can ever write about is how much he hates religion?

I don't see that at all.

There's a tone of admiration mixed with criticism... It's a really cool balance.

Caravan is more hopeful and optimistic...

But BU2B hammers home some old Freewill ideas, much sadder, but also content with 'the plan'...

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:27 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/BaldiePete/caravanwave.jpg

angry.gif

Complete brickwall!! Thanks Nick R. Ya jackass...

doesnt sound like the mess that was vapor trails.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 1 2010, 10:44 AM)
Caravan Reminds me of the riff in Double Agent, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite Rush songs.

Alex definitely came up with a very sick and cool sounding riff that will automatically make Caravan one of my all-time favorites

it reminded me of Stick It Out, without the suck.

It reminds me of Presto...except Caravan doesn't suck in every conceivable way.

Caravan pretty much prison rapes Presto & RTB and leaves them whimpering in the corner of the jail cell.

You mean "Caravan" is the one forcing those albums to eat the c--- meat sandwich?

z7shysterical.gif

Yes! Caravan can't talk right now, he's busy tatooing boobs on the back of Presto. RTB is still in the shower crying

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

only listened a couple times last night...will listen again later.

Initial response

"What the hell did Geddy to to his register?" It freaked me out a little.

Secondly...Caravan was the grabber, BU2B the grower.

really like them both off the bat though! very exciting!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:27 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/BaldiePete/caravanwave.jpg

angry.gif

doesnt sound like the mess that was vapor trails.

Yikes! scared.gif

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:59 PM)
Anyone notice that Alex is listed on keyboards in the pdf?

I did. Has he ever been credited with keys before on a rush disc? He played the keys on Victor but i don't recall Alex playing keys on any rush discs.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:27 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/caravanwave.jpg

angry.gif

The mp3 and the m4a from iTunes are a little different. The iTunes file isn't through the roof -- it's really compressed, but the peaks aren't cut off like with the mp3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/caravan_ss.jpg

I was able to lower the level of the m4a and still see the peaks.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 1 2010, 02:26 PM)

I did. Has he ever been credited with keys before on a rush disc? He played the keys on Victor but i don't recall Alex playing keys on any rush discs.

Not sure. All i know is he played keys live on superconductor and time stand still (i wanna say there's another song but i'm not sure)

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 1 2010, 02:26 PM)

Not sure. All i know is he played keys live on superconductor and time stand still (i wanna say there's another song but i'm not sure)

i don't think he has. i recall hugh syme out helping Ged on keys of course but can't recall the guy who did the additional keys on power windows. who else?

Alex playing the keys could be real interesting.

I think it's possible that in addition to "Brought Up to Believe" it also means "Be You to Be." The lyrics kind of tell you to be you and don't blindly believe others.