OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

500th post in this thread. biggrin.gif

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 03:28 AM)
I'm laughing thinking about Geddy's response to that ridiculous "Isn't it about time you guys hung it up and let some younger bands take over?" question at the Hall of Fame induction.

These guys are 56, 56, and 57 years old and they have chunks of younger bands in their stool.

They're superheroes. That's the only explanation.  smile.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_s9XEyk_xBq0/SRsIwOozWqI/AAAAAAAAADw/ohBuvgpWxZ8/s200/mermaidman.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 1 2010, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 09:05 PM)
OK well, I'd been listening to these songs on my crappy little speakers at work.  I had dinner at a friend's house tonight who happens to be a DJ and likes Rush a little.  I told him I had bought the new songs and we hooked up my iPod to his awesome equipment...and I gotta tell you, Caravan was better but not great, still good.  BU2B...blew me away.  I therefore want to apologize to everyone on TRF and hope you accept my apology.  I never learn to not doubt these men of Rush.  Not their greatest stuff...but not their worst.  And better than most bands' best!!!  Anyway, truly sorry for my comments, even though they were my opinions and am entitled to them.  But, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.  And I was.  And trenken, I still totally respect your opinion (and all others).  For the record, I like BU2B best out of the 2.

Wow! ohmy.gif That's a turn around! Glad you're enjoying them more.

Thanks!!!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 10:05 PM)
OK well, I'd been listening to these songs on my crappy little speakers at work.  I had dinner at a friend's house tonight who happens to be a DJ and likes Rush a little.  I told him I had bought the new songs and we hooked up my iPod to his awesome equipment...and I gotta tell you, Caravan was better but not great, still good.  BU2B...blew me away.  I therefore want to apologize to everyone on TRF and hope you accept my apology.  I never learn to not doubt these men of Rush.  Not their greatest stuff...but not their worst.  And better than most bands' best!!!  Anyway, truly sorry for my comments, even though they were my opinions and am entitled to them.  But, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.  And I was.  And trenken, I still totally respect your opinion (and all others).  For the record, I like BU2B best out of the 2.

trink39.gif No apology necessary - we are ALL entitled to your opinions, and you did explain why (at the time) you didn't care for them, instead of just complaining that you thought it sucked.

Yeah - iPod sound through itty bitty earbuds sucks. Found that out today myself (I stole my husband's for the day). The damn things didn't want to stay in my ears either, which didn't help.

I'm glad you are enjoying now, though.

Oh please, I can't find a decent pair of earphones that will actually stay in my ears when I run.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 09:11 PM)

trink39.gif No apology necessary - we are ALL entitled to your opinions, and you did explain why (at the time) you didn't care for them, instead of just complaining that you thought it sucked.

Yeah - iPod sound through itty bitty earbuds sucks. Found that out today myself (I stole my husband's for the day). The damn things didn't want to stay in my ears either, which didn't help.

I'm glad you are enjoying now, though.

Also, I appreciate you saying "no apology necessary"; but in my eyes it was...to all of you and to RUSH. Thanks though.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2010, 09:16 PM)

Hey, they're simply good songs. Anyway, no need to apologize, we're just Rush fans sharing our experiences. trink39.gif

Thanks!!!

Every time I hear a new Rush song I feel like I am not going to like it as much as the last album. The same thing happened yesterday, but inevitably the more I listen to it, the more I like it and I end up liking it equally as much as the previous album. I read a lot of people bashing albums like Presto or Counterparts but I like them equally as well as Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves. I think that a lot of Rush fans are resistant to change. There are Rush fans out there that stubbornly refuse to like anything after 2112, after Moving Pictures, after Hold Your Fire, etc, yet they still go to the concerts and post their opinion on this forum. The fact is... Rush is an excellent band and they are always trying to break out the box they got themselves in on the last album. These two songs are once again a change from the prior.

Those of us that can tear every Rush song apart (because we know every little nuance concerning Rush) are often overly critical. Just because we instantly pick up up on things like the use of Alex's signature F# chord with the open E and B string, or the chromatic run in La Villa Strangiato that some members picked up on in Caravan, or the use of the signature Neil Peart ride cymbal pattern, it does not mean that we think that Rush has lost their touch or skill. Those people that expect 180 degree changes from album to album are a bit delusional. It takes time to change your sound. I hear a lot of comparisons of these two new songs to Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows. Well yah, that is the era they are in. However, each album is a bit different than the last and the new songs take another strive forward (with a lot of energy I might add).

My personal observation of these two songs reflects an increase in tempo, energy, and complex musicianship. I love all the stops and time changes. The crowd is going to eat this stuff up in a live situation.

I really enjoy the replies about a wife, girlfriend or husband that cannot tolerate Rush music. I have made quite a few Rush fans over the years and I have learned that certain people will never like Rush. Rush is just too unconventional for a lot of people. No matter how many reasons you give them as to why Rush is awesome, they just don't get it. My wife always yells at me because I rarely listen to the lyrics in songs. I am always saying things like... "did you hear that fill?, did you hear that bass chord? or how the hell did they come up with that transition?". My wife just rolls her eyes. Some people need songs that go Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus or they don't consider it catchy.

QUOTE (graptemys @ Jun 2 2010, 08:58 AM)
Every time I hear a new Rush song I feel like I am not going to like it as much as the last album. The same thing happened yesterday, but inevitably the more I listen to it, the more I like it and I end up liking it equally as much as the previous album. I read a lot of people bashing albums like Presto or Counterparts but I like them equally as well as Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves. I think that a lot of Rush fans are resistant to change. There are Rush fans out there that stubbornly refuse to like anything after 2112, after Moving Pictures, after Hold Your Fire, etc, yet they still go to the concerts and post their opinion on this forum. The fact is... Rush is an excellent band and they are always trying to break out the box they got themselves in on the last album. These two songs are once again a change from the prior.

Those of us that can tear every Rush song apart (because we know every little nuance concerning Rush) are often overly critical. Just because we instantly pick up up on things like the use of Alex's signature F# chord with the open E and B string, or the chromatic run in La Villa Strangiato that some members picked up on in Caravan, or the use of the signature Neil Peart ride cymbal pattern, it does not mean that we think that Rush has lost their touch or skill. Those people that expect 180 degree changes from album to album are a bit delusional. It takes time to change your sound. I hear a lot of comparisons of these two new songs to Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows. Well yah, that is the era they are in. However, each album is a bit different than the last and the new songs take another strive forward (with a lot of energy I might add).

My personal observation of these two songs reflects an increase in tempo, energy, and complex musicianship. I love all the stops and time changes. The crowd is going to eat this stuff up in a live situation.

I really enjoy the replies about a wife, girlfriend or husband that cannot tolerate Rush music. I have made quite a few Rush fans over the years and I have learned that certain people will never like Rush. Rush is just too unconventional for a lot of people. No matter how many reasons you give them as to why Rush is awesome, they just don't get it. My wife always yells at me because I rarely listen to the lyrics in songs. I am always saying things like... "did you hear that fill?, did you hear that bass chord? or how the hell did they come up with that transition?". My wife just rolls her eyes. Some people need songs that go Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus or they don't consider it catchy.

Great post!!! Been trying to convert my wife for years!!! She doesn't get Rush (that's cool I guess, to each his/her own). What's not to get about genius, though!!!

I finally checked them out last night with some decent speakers.

Caravan is impressing me a lot, but BU2B still has to grow on me. The vocal lines aren't really very melodic for either but I'll take that for Rush music that's impossible to play again anyday. 1022.gif

It's really cool to see such a big split on which is your favorite amongst us Rush fans though isn't it? One isn't really blowing the other away or anything.

Initial thoughts:

The opening riff of BU2B reminds me of "Don't Care" from Alex's Victor project.

LOVE the sound of Neil's hi-hat in the opening of Caravan. So crisp and clean. I know it's a minor thing, but as a drummer, it's the first thing that struck me.

After hearing these songs all night and this morning, I'm enjoying the playing tremendously. I'm excited they are playing proggy, muscular music again.

That said, I don't find either song particularly melodic and Caravan doesn't have any real hooks or catchiness to it.

I like the direction and the playing, but the songwriting leaves something to be desired -- and I think the biggest reason is the lyrics. The lyrics to Caravan are clunky and awkward, while the pantoum pattern makes BU2B almost redundant after repeated listens (it sounds like the dark cousin to the Larger Bowl).

I really dug these right off the bat because they sound good. After repeated listens, however, I'm not feeling it and I really want to.

Just a quick thought:

when HYF was released Ged said (I'm a poet & don't know it) that it was a culmination of the work they'd been doing from GUP til then. Well, it occurs to me that these new songs and hopefully Clockwork will be a similar culmination of work that started with VT.

I can hear bits & pieces of the last two albums but simply better with more energy and, quite frankly, sounds more like Rush. Can't wait for the finished product after the tour

Well I have heard the tunes over a dozen times....and my feelings are just the same.

Both tracks are fantastic...hard hitting, full of energy and the playing....the playing is top notch and a return to the jamming in songs that I think has been ignored since Signals. My only critique is the vocal phrasing on Caravan. Really it's not the best and I have heard Geddy sing so much better on ton's of songs. So vocally Caravan IMO is a weaker tune for Geddy vocal wise. But the music and jams are so overhwleming it really is not a big deal...plus the chorus is great...and some don't like the repeating over and over of "I just can't stop thinking big" But I think that is the hook and I love it.

Brought up to Believe - Love the song and what I really dig is the pre-chorus and the chorus. Outstanding lyrics IMO. The phrasing is working on this tune much better. I also love the verse riff which is just evil! I actually was jamming with it last night as I am just now starting to learn the tunes myself on the guitar...sweet riff to play. I also love the bridge....a classic Rush feel through and through with Alex doing his signature harmonics and open chord sweeps...also I do hear a throwback to the Signals/Grace Under Pressure sound on his guitar during the bridge/solo.

2 outstanding songs....totally unexpected for me. I was expecting a continuation of what they started on Snakes and Arrows. And while this is only 2 tunes of what we can all agree will be a 12 piece suite I think we can confidently say Rush is back again with a vengence and the sound is heavier, darker...much more brooding. My favorite tune from Snakes is Armor and Sword and I felt Armor and Sword was the best tune they had written in some 20 plus years......these 2 new songs IMO are going along that dark path that Armor and Sword took me...but they picked up the pace and inserted some insane jams.

Great times ahead for us!!!!!

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 08:47 PM)
After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off.  I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night. 

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV and not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

Just sayin'.  They're still good, and I appreciate that they ROCK.

I did the same thing throughout the day and my appreciation for these new songs has grown on me rather than faded.

They simply rock and make me happy. I can't bitch about the singing, I don't really notice any shoehorned lyrics this go around and I sure as hell don't get tired of hearing the guys shred and go all self-indulgent...hell, that's why I like them in the first place.

as far as I'm concerned the vocal melodies are prog, just like the music. The more I listen, the more it all makes sense.

and I cant get that friggen chorus out of my head "I cant stop thinkin big..." http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/SonomaMom/Smileys/macarena.gif

putting the power back in power trio!

ged is just going off.

seems like neil is a little flashier than on S&A, perhaps he has been listening to lots of gavin harrison.

alex has always been one of the most unique sounding players to me and he continues on here.

been listening to rush before i was a teenager and now am near 44. its amazing they are still kicking so much ass. cool10.gif 1022.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2010, 03:13 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 2 2010, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 2 2010, 01:14 AM)

Second half of Caravan is especially phenomenal. Do I detect a hint or two of La Villa in there?

I hear some Spindrift. wink.gif

I totally agree! Spindrift Caravan. I'm jumping on this "Bandwagon." laugh.gif

Hmm, I don't really hear Spindrift in Caravan. Which part? unsure.gif

Riff-wise, I do hear a little bit of Stick It Out, La Villa, and Freeze.

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 1 2010, 03:08 PM)

graduation day so this is only my 2nd listen. Wow! Just Wow! I LOVE the heavy sound. I think they both Kick Ass! Way to go boys!

My point made...this stuff will appeal more so to the younger Rush fans (unlike me). I guess that's what they were aiming for. Oh well, I can't begrudge them for that (but I don't have to like it).

rofl3.gif Dude it wasn't my graduation day, it was my son's from elementary school! I've been a fan since 1976 so I am an "older" fan and I still think the songs Kick Ass!

Edited by nobodys hero

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 2 2010, 12:26 PM)

graduation day so this is only my 2nd listen. Wow! Just Wow! I LOVE the heavy sound. I think they both Kick Ass! Way to go boys!

My point made...this stuff will appeal more so to the younger Rush fans (unlike me). I guess that's what they were aiming for. Oh well, I can't begrudge them for that (but I don't have to like it).

rofl3.gif Dude it wasn't my graduation day, it was my son's from elementary school! I've been a fan since 1976 so I am an "older" fan and I still think the songs Kick Ass! Sorry bud there goes your theory! tongue.gif

FYI, I've retracted some of my comments since they were made (I won't rehash). Anyway, CONGRATS on your son's graduation...I wish him much success!!!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 2 2010, 10:26 AM)

rofl3.gif Dude it wasn't my graduation day, it was my son's from elementary school! I've been a fan since 1976 so I am an "older" fan and I still think the songs Kick Ass! Sorry bud there goes your theory! tongue.gif

spit6ph.gif