• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 1 2010, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 1 2010, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:59 PM)
Anyone notice that Alex is listed on keyboards in the pdf?

I did. Has he ever been credited with keys before on a rush disc? He played the keys on Victor but i don't recall Alex playing keys on any rush discs.

Not sure. All i know is he played keys live on superconductor and time stand still (i wanna say there's another song but i'm not sure)

i don't think he has. i recall hugh syme out helping Ged on keys of course but can't recall the guy who did the additional keys on power windows. who else?

Alex playing the keys could be real interesting.

in the videos of superconductor and TSS on youtube he doesn't look too enthused playing the keys. he must have REALLY wanted them to come back if he volunteered to play them tongue.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:39 PM)
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to put up the wave graphs. These songs sound way cleaner to me than VT or S&A.

Certainly more clarity than VT. I think the worst mp3 of these new songs sounds better than that album.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 1 2010, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 1 2010, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:53 AM)
My boyfriend just doesn't like it because its "old".

Dispose of him immediately. wink.gif

Haha, no, unfortunately, I love him to death tongue.gif I've put up with his lack of Rush worship for 2 and a half years now so... I'm pretty much used to it.

And he agreed to go to see Rush in concert with me so, I can't really fault him for not liking "anything old". It does annoy me sometimes however.

It's a good thing I like many of the new bands that he likes.

I don't get why he says it's "old"?!!!!

NO DUDE IT'S BRAND f***ing NEW RUSH!!!!!!!

tongue.gif

To quote him "still sounds old"

confused13.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:39 PM)
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to put up the wave graphs. These songs sound way cleaner to me than VT or S&A.

None of us have yet been able to hear this with CD quality over a good system, but contrast the sound of these songs with something like Moving Pictures and you can see what crystal clear production and a lack of compression can do for amazing sound. I know it's a high benchmark, but with MP you can easily follow either the drums, bass or guitar throughout an entire song - the instrument separation is astounding and it's a joy to listen to.

This is why I fantasized earlier about Gary Katz (70's Steely Dan producer) doing this album. For me it's hard to determine yet if the wall of sound feel is due to just Rush getting REALLY heavy in recent times or compression. It's probably some of both.

Still, it doesn't sound bad, and it's a vast improvement over VT obviously, but compared to something like Moving Pictures, wow, it just can't compare in terms of sonic clarity. Compression is evil - we have volume controls to make the music louder if we need to. It's as if the songs don't even have a chance to shine like they could or should when there's this much clipping.

As I don't have a CD of this..... I plugged my iPod into the AUX jack in my stereo system.......

Suprising that the mp3 does hold up as well as it does at high volume.... Even at high volume there is little background static.....

I can't make a comparison until I have the CD version (maybe a 5.1 version too......please), but it is not bad for an mp3........but it is still an mp3

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 1 2010, 03:08 PM)

graduation day so this is only my 2nd listen. Wow! Just Wow! I LOVE the heavy sound. I think they both Kick Ass! Way to go boys!

My point made...this stuff will appeal more so to the younger Rush fans (unlike me). I guess that's what they were aiming for. Oh well, I can't begrudge them for that (but I don't have to like it).

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 04:12 PM)

graduation day so this is only my 2nd listen. Wow! Just Wow! I LOVE the heavy sound. I think they both Kick Ass! Way to go boys!

My point made...this stuff will appeal more so to the younger Rush fans (unlike me). I guess that's what they were aiming for. Oh well, I can't begrudge them for that (but I don't have to like it).

Please, Spirit of Noodle Brain, for the love of god, please speak no more! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 09:12 PM)

If you had bothered to look at her profile and check her dateof brth, i think you will find this blows your theory right out of the water.

A word to the wise. Do your research if you don't want to look stupid smile.gif

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 03:12 PM)

But I'm 41 and I feel the same way. And I graduated 24 years ago. It neither proves nor even suggests anything except what you're projecting it to suggest.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 03:39 PM)

I love these two songs...but I have to disagree with you, at least partially.

Sure, I certainly believe that the sound has improved over that of all VT tracks. However, I don't think it is anywhere near the clarity of S&A. The production on S&A was really top-notch.

Again, it is tough to give an accurate assessment until we get the actual finished product on CD next year, as I don't fully trust what I am hearing as far as MP3 files go.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 03:20 PM)

If you had bothered to look at her profile and check her dateof brth, i think you will find this blows your theory right out of the water.

True that. Older than Spirit is, I'll wager. wink.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2010, 04:20 PM)

But I'm 41 and I feel the same way. And I graduated 24 years ago. It neither proves nor even suggests anything except what you're projecting it to suggest.

New Rush is good stuff! old.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2010, 03:22 PM)

Some of it sucks and some of it doesn't. Some of the old shit sucks as well...and some of it doesn't. Shocker.

There isn't ONE album Rush has where I'm not at least ho-hum about a single song or two. Not one. Most albums I find at least a couple songs boring or terribly vanilla. Not all, but most.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2010, 04:25 PM)

Some of it sucks and some of it doesn't. Some of the old shit sucks as well...and some of it doesn't. Shocker.

There isn't ONE album Rush has where I'm not at least ho-hum about a single song or two. Not one. Most albums I find at least a couple songs boring or terribly vanilla. Not all, but most.

I'm with you. I like Snakes & Arrows a lot, but I can do without 1/3 of it. Same with a lot of Rush albums, and most albums in general.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2010, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 03:20 PM)

True that. Older than Spirit is, I'll wager. wink.gif

That's a distinct possibility wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2010, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2010, 04:25 PM)

I'm with you. I like Snakes & Arrows a lot, but I can do without 1/3 of it. Same with a lot of Rush albums, and most albums in general.

Okay, I'm 42, and I am so far loving the hell out of these songs (just in case I haven't mentioned that often enough yet).

And yeah, I do consider Rush's "golden era" to be 70's-80's. But an attempt to re-create that sound would be just. . .not right. It would be forced and stilted and very, very dated.

So, you feel with a data sampling of 1, you have proven your point???

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

That's a good one!!

Yes, it was for ME not YOU that I came to write this song... They're aiming for people who like what they do.

Just started listening to Caravan. This is heavy. It's sexy. For Rush, this is some sexy damn music... oh wait, it slowed down a little... Alex is on fire. I like this. I can already tell I'm going to love this song. Glad it's in my iPod because this is going to be great to listen to while running tomorrow morning. OMG, Neil is smoking on the drums!

Damn, I so wish I could see them play this live.

found this kinda interesing..

GEDDY LEE bass guitar, keyboards, bass pedals, vocals

ALEX LIFESON guitars, KEYBOARDS!!

NEIL PEART drums and cymbals

wonder which parts Alex does on the keys.. and does he play keys the same way he sings.. (pretends lol)

and check it out, Neil isn't just playing drums... he's on cymbal duty too! wow he' the man!! lol

Edited by MMCXII