OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

I'll reserve judgement until I've heard them on the good system, but at first blush it's the same too busy and crowded, but nicely hard rocking style from S&A, and to an extent from VT. I'm left longing for a cleaner sharper sound. Still happy with the songs though. Just not thrilled.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 09:05 PM)
OK well, I'd been listening to these songs on my crappy little speakers at work. I had dinner at a friend's house tonight who happens to be a DJ and likes Rush a little. I told him I had bought the new songs and we hooked up my iPod to his awesome equipment...and I gotta tell you, Caravan was better but not great, still good. BU2B...blew me away. I therefore want to apologize to everyone on TRF and hope you accept my apology. I never learn to not doubt these men of Rush. Not their greatest stuff...but not their worst. And better than most bands' best!!! Anyway, truly sorry for my comments, even though they were my opinions and am entitled to them. But, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. And I was. And trenken, I still totally respect your opinion (and all others). For the record, I like BU2B best out of the 2.

trink39.gif

That's cool. Why didn't you say your only listens were on chintzy computer speakers? It would have explained everything! Nothing really sounds good that way; no wonder you weren't impressed with these songs.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 1 2010, 08:21 PM)
There's also little if any hook or catch or strong melody to either song. In fact, after just listening to them both I can't remember how either of them goes.

If RUSH ever writes a song with a catchy hook -- I'm done with them.

That being said, I can't get these new songs out of my head. The lyrics are thoughtful, powerful...

Interesting contrast between the optimism of Caravan and the late-life reflections of BU2B.

The music bridge and solo in Caravan ROCKS!!

sorry i don't already know this, but when does the new album come out?

and also, anyone going to see BTLS in detroit?

i can't download the new songs so i haven't heard them sad.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:08 PM)
sorry i don't already know this, but when does the new album come out?

and also, anyone going to see BTLS in detroit?

i can't download the new songs so i haven't heard them sad.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2010, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Netboy @ Jun 1 2010, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 04:13 PM)
I predict Clockwork Angels will be their best album since GUP. I can't stop thinking big.

Dude, your Hasselhoff is freaking me out. LOL.

Don't hassle the Hoff!

I can't help it. I'm trying to read posts and his "KITT" is in my face.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 08:47 PM)
After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off. I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night.

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV and not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

Just sayin'. They're still good, and I appreciate that they ROCK.

I did the same thing throughout the day and my appreciation for these new songs has grown on me rather than faded.

They simply rock and make me happy. I can't bitch about the singing, I don't really notice any shoehorned lyrics this go around and I sure as hell don't get tired of hearing the guys shred and go all self-indulgent...hell, that's why I like them in the first place.

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 09:05 PM)
OK well, I'd been listening to these songs on my crappy little speakers at work. I had dinner at a friend's house tonight who happens to be a DJ and likes Rush a little. I told him I had bought the new songs and we hooked up my iPod to his awesome equipment...and I gotta tell you, Caravan was better but not great, still good. BU2B...blew me away. I therefore want to apologize to everyone on TRF and hope you accept my apology. I never learn to not doubt these men of Rush. Not their greatest stuff...but not their worst. And better than most bands' best!!! Anyway, truly sorry for my comments, even though they were my opinions and am entitled to them. But, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. And I was. And trenken, I still totally respect your opinion (and all others). For the record, I like BU2B best out of the 2.

Wow! ohmy.gif That's a turn around! Glad you're enjoying them more.

Uhhh, more please! This album is going to be awesome!

Sorry, I did not read all 25 pages but has there been a lot of discussion about mix? Geddy's bass sounds like AFTK Rickenbacker! He is straight up shredding. Memo to all those who have written Mr. Lee of as a 'once-great' HE STILL KICKS YOUR ASS!

HW

If it weren't for the fact that both songs totally rock, have that classic Rush sound, and are probably the best Rush songs that I have heard in years, I'd probably say, "Meh". 1022.gif

p.s. Neil is totally jamming on Caravan...i likes it!!!! NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 1 2010, 11:25 PM)
Uhhh, more please! This album is going to be awesome!

Sorry, I did not read all 25 pages but has there been a lot of discussion about mix? Geddy's bass sounds like AFTK Rickenbacker! He is straight up shredding. Memo to all those who have written Mr. Lee of as a 'once-great' HE STILL KICKS YOUR ASS!
HW

Yeah, the bass is awesome in both of these songs. One of the first things I noticed.

Wow!! I have been a fan since 1976 and this is amazing!! 1022.gif

Thanks guy's for bucking the odds. 1022.gif Like I told all of those idiots who said you suck and would never make the big time. You have silenced your critics once again!! I sit back and laugh at all the memories and negative comments about you.

I am so happy for you and your crew, family and freinds!! 1022.gif

Thanks for keepin on, I needed these tunes so much!! AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

A little bit dark, maybe a little discordant.

Second half of Caravan is especially phenomenal. Do I detect a hint or two of La Villa in there?

How heavy is the main riff of BU2B? Almost Rage Against the Machine-y.

Overall, a nice kind of natural evolvement from the Snakes and Arrows sound. If anything, these songs appear to be trending a little more progressive, which I'm absolutely all for. I love that they're taking so many risks at this point in their career.

Production is great too.... I like the reverb on Ged's voice. The drums are punchier and a little fuller sounding than they were on VT and Snakes... the bass is smoother and sits in the mix really well. Alex always has the perfect tone for everything. Some keyboard textures in there?

Need a couple more listens to warm up to, right now like Caravan a little more then BU2B. I'm nowhere on the same wave lengths as most who posted on here who say they like these new singles better then anything from S&A.

To me first impression was they sounded similar in essence to S&A like they could of been songs that were left off that album.(No , I don't think they actually were, just saying.) Neil's lyrics continue the same theme also as Snakes and Arrows, and in particular" Faithless " comes to mind when listening to Brought Up To Believe. * like Faithless & BU2B there both part of the same story.*

Like the heavy guitar work, and there interesting just didn't get that WOW!! reaction like most here have, need to give them more repeat shuffle on my ipod.

That could be the problem need to have them on CD and play on home stereo.

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 2 2010, 01:14 AM)

Second half of Caravan is especially phenomenal. Do I detect a hint or two of La Villa in there?

I hear some Spindrift. wink.gif

QUOTE (slambozzio @ Jun 2 2010, 04:56 PM)
I love both tracks .... simply awesome to hear the guys have regained that 'edge'

Hanging out for the album soooo badly common001.gif

smile.gif Hey , welcome back Slam - where ya been confused13.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 2 2010, 12:24 AM)

I totally agree! Spindrift Caravan. I'm jumping on this "Bandwagon." laugh.gif

while i like caravan, bu2b doesn't do anything for me. putting aside the fact that i don't care for the lyrics, everything seems crammed in there. geddy sings the whole way through with little or no room in between. if the lyrics were more lead singer friendly, everything would be spaced out with more breathing room.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:13 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 2 2010, 12:24 AM)

I totally agree! Spindrift Caravan. I'm jumping on this "Bandwagon." laugh.gif

Y'know, I hadn't really thought of this, but yeah, if you gave Spindrift a really hard-rocking tempo then you might get something Caravan-esque.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 09:47 PM)
After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off.  I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night. 

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV but not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

Just sayin'.  They're still good, and I appreciate that they ROCK.

Might be burnout, GR. Which is why I have declared a moratorium on listening to them any more. For tonight, that is.

I had to do the same. I pounded the hell out of those tracks over the last 2 days. And since there's only two of them, they're beginning to jumble together for me.