OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 2 2010, 12:38 PM)
The bridge in BU2B is the best thing in the whole wide world.It gives me chills over and over.It's been a looooooooong time since a new Rush tune has had this effect on me.

1022.gif 1022.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

i didnt get much of that Rush "chill" from Snakes & Arrows, though there are a few songs on Vapor Trails that did that for me....

but this is a serious Rush MOMENT......

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 31 2010, 11:14 PM)
post your thoughts here....reactions of all kinds

Not impressed with Caravan at all...very repetitive....it kind of sucks.

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Jun 2 2010, 11:10 PM)
Listening to caravan as I type...predictable so far, its that Rush signature sound...doesn't mean good or bad but doesn't excite me much smile.gif.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2010, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 2 2010, 05:56 PM)
For some of us, it IS that good!

I'll drink to that! trink39.gif

Ayup. Computer is telling me I've listened to it 12 times. And I wore the iPod for most of the day at work yesterday.

Why the need to compare? These songs stand alone nicely. They're Rush, and they are some f***ing awesome Rush at that.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 3 2010, 12:09 AM)
IMO, if the music is twisted and disjointed, doesn't it make sense that the vocal part might have to be, too? It's possible Geddy wrote the vocal part that way to match the edgy mood of the song instead of trying to make it catchy. Besides, I imagine it'd be pretty tough to write a lovely and singable melody over such a weird piece of music.

Yeah, I don't know what you could possibly sing over that pre-chorus ("caravan thunders onward") section that would flow any better. That riff is seriously twisted, and as it is I can't see how Geddy will pull off singing and playing that part live. unsure.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 3 2010, 01:18 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 3 2010, 12:09 AM)
IMO, if the music is twisted and disjointed, doesn't it make sense that the vocal part might have to be, too? It's possible Geddy wrote the vocal part that way to match the edgy mood of the song instead of trying to make it catchy. Besides, I imagine it'd be pretty tough to write a lovely and singable melody over such a weird piece of music.

Yeah, I don't know what you could possibly sing over that pre-chorus ("caravan thunders onward") section that would flow any better. That riff is seriously twisted, and as it is I can't see how Geddy will pull off singing and playing that part live. unsure.gif

It's a tough challenge for sure. I think the delivery is fine on each song. Not a great dynamic range, but I think he tackles them as well as he can...and his voice SOUNDS GOOD too. I'd rather him play it safe approaching 60 than go for stuff he can't reach and make us cringe in that way. While a completely different singer, Paul Stanley does this in a few spots on the latest Kiss album and you just want him to stop trying such things because it's not working. That's the last reaction I want to have to Lee's vocals.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 3 2010, 03:23 AM)
About both songs:

Meh.

i feel the same way. the music just doesn't bond together for me and geddy's melodic vocals are missing. it almost sounds like nick r. was being too pushy and in their face telling them we should do this or you should do that or lets take this piece and put it there and that piece over there.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2010, 07:38 AM)
About both songs:

Meh.

i feel the same way. the music just doesn't bond together for me and geddy's melodic vocals are missing. it almost sounds like nick r. was being too pushy and in their face telling them we should do this or you should do that or lets take this piece and put it there and that piece over there.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it was. It's Nick's fault you're not diggin' songs that Rush wrote. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2010, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2010, 07:38 AM)
About both songs:

Meh.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it was. It's Nick's fault you're not diggin' songs that Rush wrote. biggrin.gif

i just threw the nick r. thing out there because i'm not hearing the music flow together like rush music should. it sounds all over the place and al desperately trying to pull something out of a dry well. it is what is i guess but it doesn't do anything for me.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2010, 01:38 PM)
About both songs:

Meh.

I can understand you criticising the vocals, but honest;y, I think Caravan musically is the best thing they have done in ages.

At the moment I am stuck offshore and I am desperate to get my hands on my guitar to have a crack at it...That prechorus and breakdown sound like immense fun to play.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2010, 09:16 AM)
i'm trying to get into it but it shouldn't be that hard. maybe it will hit me later on.

Suggestion: leave it for now. You aren't going to be able to make yourself like it, especially now, so just set it aside for, oh, a couple of weeks at least. (Maybe even wait til the CD is available )? Then try again with fresh ears.

I was like this with Counterparts - did. not. like. And I was really frustrated about that. So, I let it be for quite a while, at least a month and then OVERHEARD it on someone else's stereo. Total turnaround - it was like, "wow, that's the album I don't like?" Couldn't wait to get home and get it in the CD player.

Not saying that will happen to you, but it's an angle to consider.

I actually think I now like BU2B better as an overall song than Caravan.....love both...but I here even more elements of classic Rush in BU2B....the verse music is pure hard edged modern rock in the vain of Porcupine Tree and, Dream Theatre...just driving in your face evil....but the pre chorus, Bridge and Chorus is so classic Rush in the vain of Grace Under Pressure....amazing.

And the lyrics on BU2B are fantastic.