OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 31 2010, 11:20 PM)
Both are very fine songs.  I'm very pleasantly surprised by the relative heaviness and mid-to-up tempos.  Love the keyboard flourishes and less of the "oooh-ahhh" bg vocals this go 'round.

As far as the songs go, I actually give the edge to BU2B.  It's just a great melody...perfect combination of a heavy riff and a more lilting and atmospheric chorus.  As a song I think this one works better.

That said, Caravan is badass and far more musically interesting.  It'll be the favorite overall because of the breakdown as much as anything else and rightfully so.  From 3:25 through to the return to the chorus it's pure Rush bliss.

Now hopefully the rest of the album will live up after MONTHS and MONTHS of getting familar with these two tunes.  They'll have a lot to live up to.

Kudos to the boys and Nick for putting these together so quickly and not sounding at all rushed.

I was going to post something about that "Rush bliss", but you beat me to it. That is a wicked jam. I skipped back and replayed that part about 15 times in a row today. Awesome.

Some of these jams and fills are just going to blow the place apart live. Can't wait!

I am not listening to either song ANY MORE tonight. I walked in from work wearing the iPod and jamming out - the husband just shook his head.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Rush in that it is different enough from what came before that you can't quite grasp it, and it may take a few listens to really get into it. A few impressions though:

Musically, Caravan reminds me of the material Geddy was doing on My Favorite Headache while BU2B reminds me a bit of the harder material on Victor. And both rock quite nicely.

Where the songs seem to fall short is Geddy's vocals, which aren't as strong as usual. I'm not sure if it's the vocals themselves or the production, but they don't come across as crisp as they should.

Still, both songs sound pretty solid, and they should smoke live, especially BU2B.

BTW, any reason why they are naming the song BU2B instead of the full lyric "Brought up to Believe?"

Edited by CrimsonE

QUOTE (CrimsonE @ Jun 1 2010, 08:12 PM)
Typical Rush in that it is different enough from what came before that you can't quite grasp it, and it may take a few listens to really get into it. A few impressions though:

Musically, Caravan reminds me of the material Geddy was doing on My Favorite Headache while BU2B reminds me a bit of the harder material on Victor. And both rock quite nicely.

Where the songs seem to fall short is Geddy's vocals, which aren't as strong as usual. I'm not sure if it's the vocals themselves or the production, but they don't come across as crisp as they should.

Still, both songs sound pretty solid, and they should smoke live, especially BU2B.

BTW, any reason why they are naming the song BU2B instead of the full lyric "Brought up to Believe?"

Lots of younger bands use acronyms now, hell even singers like Kelly Clarkson are doing it. Just trying to stay hip is my guess.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 1 2010, 09:14 PM)
Typical Rush in that it is different enough from what came before that you can't quite grasp it, and it may take a few listens to really get into it.  A few impressions though:

Musically, Caravan reminds me of the material Geddy was doing on My Favorite Headache while BU2B reminds me a bit of the harder material on Victor.  And both rock quite nicely.

Where the songs seem to fall short is Geddy's vocals, which aren't as strong as usual.  I'm not sure if it's the vocals themselves or the production, but they don't come across as crisp as they should.

Lots of younger bands use acronyms now, hell even singers like Kelly Clarkson are doing it. Just trying to stay hip is my guess.

Always a criticism. Bad, bad Rush fan! dazed025.gif

The good: Both songs have crunch and energy.

The bad: Neil's lyrics are still preachy and hard, if not impossible, to write a memorable song around.

There's also little if any hook or catch or strong melody to either song. In fact, after just listening to them both I can't remember how either of them goes.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 01:37 PM)
Ok, I just listened to each song for the 5th time. First impressions and the warm glow of newness is starting to wear off. Why have I only listened to it 5 times? If I was in love with the songs, I probably would have listened a lot more by now.

Yikes, I gotta say that my opinion of these songs are dropping. I don't want it to drop, and I hope I feel differently once I hear it on CD as opposed to just YouTube, but I suspect the sonic improvement will only take me so far. I love the intro part to Caravan and the instrumental break, but the rest not quite as much. BU2B is good, but it's feeling too heavy without enough melody for me, or the melody is trapped by the heaviness without enough breathing room. Vocally and lyrically it's not bad, but it's not thrilling me either. eh.gif

There is a "mainstream" push with the sound, it is missing those strong melodic sounds that truly grab your soul. Still great stuff.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 1 2010, 08:21 PM)

The bad: Neil's lyrics are still preachy and hard, if not impossible, to write a memorable song around.

There's also little if any hook or catch or strong melody to either song. In fact, after just listening to them both I can't remember how either of them goes.

I think BU2B has a little bit of a hook, nothing epic or anything, but there's a little something there to remember. I cant find anything in Caravan.

Im guess that's the point of that song, to sound different, odd, they have plenty of songs like that, but they are usually fillers, not introductions to a new album. Time and Motion comes to mind offhand, a weird song, no friendly or inviting hooks in it.

I think its fine to have songs like that, but if Im going to hear a song or 2 from a new album, Id rather them just do what they always did, release the song with strong hooks, like DeW, Dreamline, Force Ten, most of the album openers, not songs that sound like middle of the road fillers.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 04:13 PM)
I predict Clockwork Angels will be their best album since GUP. I can't stop thinking big.

Dude, your Hasselhoff is freaking me out. LOL.

I think it can also be taken literally as "Be You To Be," which stays along the lines of the song

After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off. I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night.

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV and not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

Just sayin'. They're still good, and I appreciate that they ROCK.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 09:47 PM)
After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off. I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night.

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV but not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

Might be burnout, GR. Which is why I have declared a moratorium on listening to them any more. For tonight, that is.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 09:52 PM)
After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off.  I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night. 

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV but not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

Just sayin'.  They're still good, and I appreciate that they ROCK.

Might be burnout, GR. Which is why I have declared a moratorium on listening to them any more. For tonight, that is.

Yeah, I think 80-100 listens implies burnout. No new Rush for a week!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 08:52 PM)
After about 80-100 listens each (no joke!), the rose-tinted gla... er... headphones are coming off.  I still like both songs, especially "Caravan," but not as much as this time last night. 

Just sayin'.  They're still good, and I appreciate that they ROCK.

Yeah, I just thought of that. After 80-100 listens within 24 hours, NO SONG would still sound as good. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 08:47 PM)

I'd put them between "One Little Victory" and "Far Cry" - better than OLV and not as good as FC - but they're starting to lean more and more towards the lesser OLV side of the spectrum.

I actually think the opening guitar riff of Caravan mirrors OLV a lot (the guitar part right before "one little victorreeeeeeeyyyy".

OK well, I'd been listening to these songs on my crappy little speakers at work. I had dinner at a friend's house tonight who happens to be a DJ and likes Rush a little. I told him I had bought the new songs and we hooked up my iPod to his awesome equipment...and I gotta tell you, Caravan was better but not great, still good. BU2B...blew me away. I therefore want to apologize to everyone on TRF and hope you accept my apology. I never learn to not doubt these men of Rush. Not their greatest stuff...but not their worst. And better than most bands' best!!! Anyway, truly sorry for my comments, even though they were my opinions and am entitled to them. But, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. And I was. And trenken, I still totally respect your opinion (and all others). For the record, I like BU2B best out of the 2.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 1 2010, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 1 2010, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 1 2010, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:53 AM)
My boyfriend just doesn't like it because its "old".

Dispose of him immediately. wink.gif

Haha, no, unfortunately, I love him to death tongue.gif I've put up with his lack of Rush worship for 2 and a half years now so... I'm pretty much used to it.

And he agreed to go to see Rush in concert with me so, I can't really fault him for not liking "anything old". It does annoy me sometimes however.

It's a good thing I like many of the new bands that he likes.

I don't get why he says it's "old"?!!!!

NO DUDE IT'S BRAND f***ing NEW RUSH!!!!!!!

tongue.gif

To quote him "still sounds old"

confused13.gif

That sucks.

I've dated a few guys that really didn't get Rush and teased me endlessly about loving them. One ended up becoming a hardcore fan outta the blue one day after we broke up (I dunno how the hell that happened) and another one still teases me about them eventhough I DID get him to admit he likes Tom Sawyer. huh.gif

I'm hoping that after the concert, he'll appreciate the technical side of the music, but I doubt he'll ever be a fan. Oh well, you can't win them all laugh.gif

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 10:05 PM)
OK well, I'd been listening to these songs on my crappy little speakers at work. I had dinner at a friend's house tonight who happens to be a DJ and likes Rush a little. I told him I had bought the new songs and we hooked up my iPod to his awesome equipment...and I gotta tell you, Caravan was better but not great, still good. BU2B...blew me away. I therefore want to apologize to everyone on TRF and hope you accept my apology. I never learn to not doubt these men of Rush. Not their greatest stuff...but not their worst. And better than most bands' best!!! Anyway, truly sorry for my comments, even though they were my opinions and am entitled to them. But, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. And I was. And trenken, I still totally respect your opinion (and all others). For the record, I like BU2B best out of the 2.

trink39.gif No apology necessary - we are ALL entitled to your opinions, and you did explain why (at the time) you didn't care for them, instead of just complaining that you thought it sucked.

Yeah - iPod sound through itty bitty earbuds sucks. Found that out today myself (I stole my husband's for the day). The damn things didn't want to stay in my ears either, which didn't help.

I'm glad you are enjoying now, though.

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 10:05 PM)

Hey, they're simply good songs. Anyway, no need to apologize, we're just Rush fans sharing our experiences. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Netboy @ Jun 1 2010, 09:29 PM)
I predict Clockwork Angels will be their best album since GUP. I can't stop thinking big.

Don't hassle the Hoff!

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 1 2010, 08:21 PM)

Yeah, Geddy just doesn't sing any kind of melody at all. He's just kind of singing the words. The vocals should be a melody over top all those cool riffs. Instead they are just there. You can't sing along to it. Not that I would ever sing.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2010, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Netboy @ Jun 1 2010, 09:29 PM)

Don't hassle the Hoff!

The Hoff is a genius.