A Bad Start to the New Year

I know I've not been on as regularly as I'd like as of late, but I felt compelled to write this morning because of two events that have occurred in the past week up here.

First, my former brother-in-law died Sunday. He was married to my ex-wife's sister, and although I'd not been a part of that family for a long time, Joe and I were still friends. Whenever I'd bump into him we'd chat about music, family and work. He was a great musician, and although he wasn't a Rush fan like me, he appreciated my taste in music. He was by far and away the nicest, hardest-working guy I've ever known. He was only 44--the same age as I'll be here this month--and had some heart problems. They think he had a heart attack getting ready for work Sunday morning. Sharon knew him too. He worked for Frito-Lay and delivered chips to the store she works at. She had just seen him and talked to him on Saturday. We're both pretty shook up about his passing. He leaves a wife and two boys both in high school.

Second, last night my sister's trailer caught on fire and was pretty much destroyed. Everyone is ok. She called me last night frantic that it was on fire. Her trailer park is near our house, so I threw on my coat and drove over there. It's a mess, and she has no insurance. The trailer was pretty old, and she had recently bought it. Audra has been the one sibling who seems to have always had the black cloud following her around. She's had some tough breaks, and was just starting to get her life back in order...again. She's single and my neice is a teenager. They'll be ok.

Now, I guess why I've shared these two events with my fellow TRF'ers is that they have caused me to take some stock of my life, and perhaps to remind all of you to make a New Year's resolution to do the same. To make sure my affairs are in order. Check the smoke alarms, and install them if you don't have them. Make sure you have a working fire extinguisher (I don't). Make sure you have insurance...even renter's insurance. Make sure you have a will and life insurance. Sharon and I had just a couple weeks ago talked about getting a fire safe for our important papers. All these things might not apply to you directly, or perhaps you do have everything in order. That's great. Sometimes we just need a reminder.

Finally, and by far most importantly, hug your kids and your significant others all the time, and remember to always tell those who are important to you that you love them.

You guys here at TRF are important to me. wub.gif

Please keep my sister and Joe's family in your prayers.

I'm sorry about your ex-brother in law, man. That's rough.

As for your sister. Stuff is just stuff. Nothing is more important than them being ok.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Cygnus! I will be praying for you and yours.

Good advice on the fire extinguishers and smoke alarms, I check mine every six months and thanks to the good advice of my friend Pags, I now have two fire extinguishers in my bedroom. He said to do that in case you ever have to fight the fire in order to get out, God forbid.

All excellent advice Cygnus. You never know what's going to happen but it's always best to be prepared for the worst.

I will definitely send some good vibes your way for you and your family.

Take care!

Wow, what timing, and it always seems to go like that.

Thank you for your advice, sure makes a helluva lot of sense. I am sorry for your loss man. It's hard to find people like that who relate to you, and you to them. I am glad your sister's ok, even though her possessions are..well....the important thing like everyone's said is that she's ok.

I'm sorry your year started so poorly. Heres to better days ahead. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sorry about the bad news, Cygnus. But thanks for the great reminders. My next shopping list will include batteries for the smoke alarms.

Also, if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you should. I bought seven new smoke detectors for my house a year ago, and two of them were combination smoke/CO detectors, one for each floor. Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible. If your home becomes filled with it you you might not realize it until it's too late -- especially if everyone is asleep. Don't let that happen to you and your family.

Thanks for the advice Cygnus.

I wish your sister to recover herself and the loss when possible. rose.gif

And your brother in law to rest in peace. rose.gif

This year started harsh for you but I hope it gets better. Take care.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 8 2009, 02:29 AM)
Sorry about the bad news, Cygnus. But thanks for the great reminders. My next shopping list will include batteries for the smoke alarms.

Also, if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you should. I bought seven new smoke detectors for my house a year ago, and two of them were combination smoke/CO detectors, one for each floor. Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible. If your home becomes filled with it you you might not realize it until it's too late -- especially if everyone is asleep. Don't let that happen to you and your family.

Excellent advice. I thankfully have all the above mentioned safegaurds in place (when you work away fro home you get twitchy about your familys safety).

Sorry about all the bad news, but at least your sister and her daughter are ok

Once again you guys have proven what a classy group you truly are, and I'm glad and fortunate to call you friends.

Sharon and I went to the funeral home to pay our respects last night. They had Joe's guitar sitting in a stand next to the coffin, and he had a guitar pick in his hand. That really made me smile. If there is that great band in the sky, I hope he get's to jam with them.

My sister is doing ok, and we're going to go see what we can salvage out of her place tonight.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and well wishes. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. wub.gif

god bless brother

Archived