the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

11 minutes ago, Timbale said:

I have only dipped my toe into newer prog, and I haven't really been moved by any of it.  Judging myself in relation to others on this site...I would say I'm in the minority in that Rush is just about the heaviest music I listen to - I am not really into metal at all.  Because of that, some of the newer prog I've heard is heavier than I'm into.

But I also think it comes down to songwriting, and I think what those bands you listed have in common (I'm not particularly into ELP, but I think they're good) is that they have good songwriting at their core.  I think (biased, yes) that is particularly true for Genesis - like a lot of prog, it's not immediately catchy like pop songs are...but the melodies get inside you on repeated listening and are deep and beautiful.  The end section of Supper's Ready is some of the most powerful, emotional songwriting (and performing) I've ever heard.

I like Dream Theater but prog metal has never been my thing.  as i don't think it's a marriage that really works.  It all just seems like an excuse to be really heavy only now for a longer song leangth, lol

But the thing is i like some classic Metal but metal is not who i ever was as a fan of music.  i was more classic prog, classic rock, AOR, 70's singer/songwriters, soft rock.  so i suppose that's why prog metal turns me away a bit.

plus classic prog had rich melodies too.  amongst the impeccable playing.  Prog Metal is more often than not just look at how fast i can play.  Forgetting to write a song in there, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I've probably posted this in the last month..maybe.

Van Halen III is actually a really good record.   I never considered it back when it came out. Third singer, meh...    But holy shit - this is neat.  Good songs, and Cherone really does a good job. 

I think I'm going to have this one in rotation for a while now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Bands like "Animals As Leaders" and Joe Satriani are great musicians but I'd never see them in concert. I can only take so many instrumentals in a row. 

i do not like instrumental albums.  an instrumental on an album with vocals a la Rush i can take but whole albums like that no.  it's why artists like those you mentioned don't appeal to me.

Mick

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i do not like instrumental albums.  an instrumental on an album with vocals a la Rush i can take but whole albums like that no.  it's why artists like those you mentioned don't appeal to me.

Mick

Larks Tongues has just the right amount of vocals plus ingenuity that it works

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Larks Tongues has just the right amount of vocals plus ingenuity that it works

that has just the right amount and they're REALLY good instrumentals and they never ramble on which instrumentals can do. it seems like they're on there because they flow with the album.

Mick

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Same here. Vocals help to make a song human and give it it's own personality. With all instrumental bands everything sounds the same after a few songs. There's nothing to separate one song from the other since all their doing is jamming in every one.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 9:35 PM, J2112YYZ said:

Same here. Vocals help to make a song human and give it it's own personality. With all instrumental bands everything sounds the same after a few songs. There's nothing to separate one song from the other since all their doing is jamming in every one.

Which is why Satrianni and Vai don't get a lot of rotation over here.  Yeah, they are technically amazing.  But the onslaught of endless instrumentals wears thin - as good as they are.  

Small doses.  

Same thing for Stu Hamm - amazing player, but see above.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Jimmy Buffet was more about the party than the music. Same with The Grateful Dead and more recent Sammy Hagar.

i disagree a bit.  in his early days he had great tunes.  Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season is one of my favs by anyone.  i do agree however. he devolved a bit later on into the king of the novalty song

Mick

I've added a bit of a twist to my "new album every day" thing I did last year. One of the major problems I ran into last year was a lack of time to truly digest a record. The real stand-outs were ones I liked immediately.

I swapped to "one album a week, but I have to listen to it 7 times". Albums I otherwise would have written off after a single listen are now growing on me. I'll even stick to it through bad albums to really make sure I hate them.

I'm hoping to make it to near 100 albums still. I've been listening to a lot despite the 7X rule.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

Seeing Primus in '21 really woke me up to Les Claypool. I liked some of his stuff before but now that I've poured over his discography, the man really has a great catalog. Oddly some of his biggest misfires are with his main band, Primus.