the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

49 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

if there's one thing i hate about music it's the fans.  no really.  people states opinions on music like it's fact and wee'll get offended if you dare think different.

Music fans are so insecure.  axnd yes i've done it too, lol.

Mick

I mean yeah I literally just did that about Nickelback, but I’m inclined to agree, at least in sentiment. People should be more open minded and receptive to people that break convention.

except about Nickelback :tongue:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I mean yeah I literally just did that about Nickelback, but I’m inclined to agree, at least in sentiment. People should be more open minded and receptive to people that break convention.

except about Nickelback :tongue:

i gave an honest go at thaem a few years back.......yea they earned their rep:zzz:

but hey.....they please enough folk, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

i gave an honest go at thaem a few years back.......yea they earned their rep:zzz:

but hey.....they please enough folk, lol

Mick

I just can’t get past Chad. His voice grates on me and his lyrics make me cringe, at best

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I just can’t get past Chad. His voice grates on me and his lyrics make me cringe, at best

YEEEEEEEEEEEEA!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i have to do that.......it's him and james Hetfield.....the yea bros, lol

Mick

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEA!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i have to do that.......it's him and james Hetfield.....the yea bros, lol

Mick

How come nobody mentions Rob Zombie when it comes to "yeahs" Everyone always cracks the joke with Hetfield but at least half of Zombie's lines have yeah in them. More Human Than Human has like a hundred of them 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

How come nobody mentions Rob Zombie when it comes to "yeahs" Everyone always cracks the joke with Hetfield but at least half of Zombie's lines have yeah in them. More Human Than Human has like a hundred of them 😄

Nineteen sixty…

fffFfFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIYVE YEEAH!

I didn't know where else to put this but this guy's YouTube channel is pretty good. He's works as a roadie a lot and he's also been both a merch and tour manager. He has a number of informative videos talking about the logistics of touring and what a pain in the ass it's become for bands post covid.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 1:50 PM, bluefox4000 said:

just saw this.

Like how he name drops Lamb of god and Horror films and cats cause.....it IS ALL SEGUE!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Oh it sounds up me alley

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

To this day my dad likes to crap on Let it Be because of "The Long and Boring Road"

i actually really like let it be it Be (both versions)  and never had a problem with it.

The only Beatles album that i rarly listened to.....i mean when i regularly played them.....is Sgt. Pepper's.  it's fine but not a fav.

Mick

Cliche doesn’t mean overrated. Smoke On The Water is one of the greatest songs ever. Easy top 5 riff. Easy top 5 solo. Absolutely impenetrable chorus. Classic arrangement. I want to highlight the solo though. The fact that Richie Blackmore is more of an improv guy than a sit down and write it out guy makes it even more impressive how perfectly this lead is phrased.  A solo you feel compelled to sing along to. 

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to tour Inner Ear Studios in Alexandria yesterday evening. The very same house studio where all the early Dischord records bands recorded in the early 80s. Don is a lovely guy and very open to sharing about his work.

There's no Prog like original pure 70's prog.  I like certain prog metal but aside from DT....it's not the same for me.  it's just muddy-ing up what was thrilling about OG prog for me. if you stranded me somewhere and someone said pick your prog it would all be 70's i was always more of a prog traditionalist anyway.

Hell one of my fav prog albums is foxtrot and you know my feelings on Gabriel Genesis:biggrin:

Mick

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

There's no Prog like original pure 70's prog.  I like certain prog metal but aside from DT....it's not the same for me.  it's just muddy-ing up what was thrilling about OG prog for me. if you stranded me somewhere and someone said pick your prog it would all be 70's i was always more of a prog traditionalist anyway.

Hell one of my fav prog albums is foxtrot and you know my feelings on Gabriel Genesis:biggrin:

Mick

Yeah, I pretty well agree.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I think the thing is, most of what has comfortably fit the “prog” label since the end of the classic era has been prominently referential (if not just plain reverential) of the originators. Meanwhile, if Yes was ever trying to copy King Crimson, or even if Rush was ever trying to copy Yes, they really didn’t show it that obviously.  This brings up the question of bands that probably do fit comfortably under a reasonable definition of progressive rock, but don’t really sound like the 70s stuff so they don’t often get called that. I think of a band like Black Country, New Road. Very exciting, very new, very progressive, not very much like the 70s.  But they don’t really get labeled as such by most folks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah, I pretty well agree.

i been as of last night going on a 70's prog binge

Yes

Genesis

King Crimson

Supertramp (yes i consider them like pop/prog or art pop)

ELP (growing on me)

and there is nothing like OG prog.  Hey DT and opeth and those guys are great but you can't really match that original magic i'm sorry.

Just how my heart feels.

the production 70's prog had too that original analog warmth is missing in prog metal too.

Mick

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

Genesis

King Crimson

ELP (growing on me)

and there is nothing like OG prog.  Hey DT and opeth and those guys are great but you can't really match that original magic i'm sorry.

Just how my heart feels.

the production 70's prog had too that original analog warmth is missing in prog metal too.

Mick

While you’re at it, check out some of the classic Italian bands! These three records can go toe to toe with any of the British greats, and are from the same era with that same warm analogue production:

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico

(gentle pastoral with beautiful harmonies and whimsical flairs)

Le Orme - Felona E Sorona

(brooding synth trio with somber vocals and cosmic vibes)

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!

(bombastic instrumental workouts and jams matched by a thrilling operatic singer)

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

Genesis

King Crimson

ELP (growing on me)

Just how my heart feels.

Mick

I have only dipped my toe into newer prog, and I haven't really been moved by any of it.  Judging myself in relation to others on this site...I would say I'm in the minority in that Rush is just about the heaviest music I listen to - I am not really into metal at all.  Because of that, some of the newer prog I've heard is heavier than I'm into.

But I also think it comes down to songwriting, and I think what those bands you listed have in common (I'm not particularly into ELP, but I think they're good) is that they have good songwriting at their core.  I think (biased, yes) that is particularly true for Genesis - like a lot of prog, it's not immediately catchy like pop songs are...but the melodies get inside you on repeated listening and are deep and beautiful.  The end section of Supper's Ready is some of the most powerful, emotional songwriting (and performing) I've ever heard.