Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Last nights show was excellent! This was my first time seeing Dream Theater so I didn't know what to expect but they blew me away. I really loved the new songs. Bridges In The Sky and Outcry were 2 of the standouts. MM's drum solo was fantastic but I wished they played another song instead.

I also decided to sit through Trivium. I can't even describe how bad they were. DT was 1000X better as expected. 1022.gif

I found its funny that the big 300 pound Black usher was rocking out to Dream Theater all night. He didn't look like your typical DT fan. It had me chuckling.

I'm so f***ing happy work is over!!!! I sat next to these too gabby woman on the train going home last night. They drove me nuts but I was too tired to move my seat. I only got 4 hours sleep. Today was a painfully long day!!!!

I was listening to Awake again in the car yesterday and it hit me: Do you think DT will play Space Dye Vest now that MP isn't in the band? I know Moore left a bad taste when he split, but maybe if it was mostly with Portnoy they'd play this awesome song finally 1022.gif

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Oct 13 2011, 08:16 AM)
And, I enjoyed "Endless Sacrifice" (not a big fan) exponentially more than any other time I've heard or seen it.

The break in the middle of Endless Sacrifice is my favorite of all DT behind Metropolis. Awesome song, I'm glad they're playing it again.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Oct 14 2011, 11:25 AM)
I was listening to Awake again in the car yesterday and it hit me: Do you think DT will play Space Dye Vest now that MP isn't in the band? I know Moore left a bad taste when he split, but maybe if it was mostly with Portnoy they'd play this awesome song finally 1022.gif

I heard that Jordan Rudess wants to play it but the other guys don't. I'd love to see them do it sometime.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 14 2011, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Oct 14 2011, 11:25 AM)

I heard that Jordan Rudess wants to play it but the other guys don't. I'd love to see them do it sometime.

Jordan performed it at a solo concert a while back (with James LaBrie guest appearing on vocals). It's floating around youtube and the like if you want to see what it sounds like.

after seeing the show live, i disagree even more with the people who oppose the drum solo. Mangini is musical and technical at a level that most drummers, even the big names, can only dream of. Unlike someone like Portnoy (who just hits a bunch of shit really loud for several minutes), Mangini plays a solo that is engaging and intriguing, and unlike someone like Peart, he changes it up every night rather than playing the same contrived and rehearsed solo night after night. Anyone who doesn't embrace the opportunity to see one of the world's finest drummers performing a solo right in front of them is just incredibly thick. Sure, they could have foregone the solo and thrown in another 4-5 minute song, but the way I see it, this tour's secondary purpose (behind promoting the new album), is to showcase Mangini.

The show itself was very fine -- Periphery opened and they unfortunately disappointed. The mix was way too bass-heavy, the drummer had no sense of dynamics and the songs sounded really same-y after the first couple. I'd listened to their album a while back and I've heard good things about them, so I was expecting a little more. In the long run i guess it's still better than having to deal with Trivium, however.

Bridges in the Sky was a PERFECT opener. the Inception intro tape went really well into the song's ethereal opening, and the whole band coming in was enough to completely blow you away.

Other highlights included These Walls (which I didn't even know they were playing so it was a pleasant surprise for me), Ytse Jam, which sounds even BETTER with mangini at the kit, the Wait for Sleep/Far From Heaven acoustic set (James especially gave a heart-wrenching delivery of the latter), Caught in a Web (one of the most energetic displays of music I've ever seen, and LaBrie was ON FIRE for the entirety of this song), and of course the closer of the main set, Breaking All Illusions was the highlight of the show (as it is the highlight of the album).

A couple incidents from the show -- Petrucci's guitar cut out about a minute into Bridges in the Sky. His techs had him up and running about a minute later, but even while he had no sound he just kept right on playing, and the rest of the band kept their shit together perfectly during what would have been a trainwreck for almost any other band. Petrucci recieved a huge cheer when his sound came back to life.

during On the Backs of Angels, somebody threw a small red hat onto the stage, which LaBrie picked up and wore for about a minute, and then proceeded to hang on Mangini's drum rack. Mangini then took the hat and donned it himself, but it fell off in a matter of seconds laugh.gif

Mangini is represented as a genie in his cartoon form.

Everyone in the band seems to be at the top of their game right now. This tour is not to be missed! A+ show if you ask me new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 16 2011, 05:35 PM)
after seeing the show live, i disagree even more with the people who oppose the drum solo. Mangini is musical and technical at a level that most drummers, even the big names, can only dream of. Unlike someone like Portnoy (who just hits a bunch of shit really loud for several minutes), Mangini plays a solo that is engaging and intriguing, and unlike someone like Peart, he changes it up every night rather than playing the same contrived and rehearsed solo night after night. Anyone who doesn't embrace the opportunity to see one of the world's finest drummers performing a solo right in front of them is just incredibly thick.

Whatever. I thought his solo was really good, but I would rather them play another song.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 16 2011, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 16 2011, 05:35 PM)
after seeing the show live, i disagree even more with the people who oppose the drum solo.  Mangini is musical and technical at a level that most drummers, even the big names, can only dream of.  Unlike someone like Portnoy (who just hits a bunch of shit really loud for several minutes), Mangini plays a solo that is engaging and intriguing, and unlike someone like Peart, he changes it up every night rather than playing the same contrived and rehearsed solo night after night.  Anyone who doesn't embrace the opportunity to see one of the world's finest drummers performing a solo right in front of them is just incredibly thick.

Whatever. I thought his solo was really good, but I would rather them play another song.

It was Great . Songs are better .

Saw the Philly show. I've seen DT probably 20 times since the Metropolis 2000 shows and this might rank in my top 3 favorite. The band was on fire. The setlist was killer. They managed to play 9 songs I've never heard before, which is a pretty amazing feat considering how many times I've seen them. James was killing it, Mangini proved himself more than adequately, and as a whole they seemed really into it.

I see both sides of the fence. In one way you can't find a drummer with skills like Mangini on too many stages, but I also would have liked another song

I'd say keep the solo (short one) and also make set longer. wink.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 17 2011, 09:47 AM)
I see both sides of the fence. In one way you can't find a drummer with skills like Mangini on too many stages, but I also would have liked another song
I'd say keep the solo (short one) and also make set longer. wink.gif

Hey I'm not knocking someone who wants the solo. I'm just giving my personal preference, that's all.

I don't think people who want the solo are, "just incredibly thick."

trink38.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 17 2011, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 17 2011, 09:47 AM)
I'd say keep the solo (short one) and also make set longer.  wink.gif

Hey I'm not knocking someone who wants the solo. I'm just giving my personal preference, that's all.

I don't think people who want the solo are, "just incredibly thick."

trink38.gif

Well you will have a username that rhymes with "thick"!

laugh.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 17 2011, 08:28 AM)
Saw the Philly show. I've seen DT probably 20 times since the Metropolis 2000 shows and this might rank in my top 3 favorite. The band was on fire. The setlist was killer. They managed to play 9 songs I've never heard before, which is a pretty amazing feat considering how many times I've seen them. James was killing it, Mangini proved himself more than adequately, and as a whole they seemed really into it.

Agree completely. Saw them last night in DC. The band was totally locked in and played with alot of enthusiasm, its obvious they're having fun. The setlist was excellent, and the new stuff went over very well to the packed crowd. James was the most impressive, hitting all the high notes and sounding great. Mangini's a great addition, and it seemed like the rest of the band - esp Myung, totally fed off it. John and Jordan amazing, per usual...

Not only the best DT show Ive ever seen, but the best hard rock show Ive seen in the last couple of years (yes, thats including the time machine tour). This tour's a cant miss folks.

Edited by greg2112

You know I have tried to like these guys since they came out. They screamed what I was into now and at the time (early 90s) and I just can't do it.

They are phenomenal musicians in each of their respective disciplines but there are certain things that I just can't tolerate about them...though I really want to.

First off, I have heard every album and have seen them a smattering of times from a small club in 1992, to the opening slot for Yes, to a bigger headlining gig.

There are a lot of moments on the album that I like and most of them concern Petrucci and Mangini. That being said, I finally pinned down what I do not like about the band.

LaBrie...I do not like that airy Streisand-esque voice he uses in songs like Vacant and Far From Heaven...I don't like when he belts out high passages either. Nothing against his talent, it is enormous, I just don't want to hear it here.

Myung-How do you use so much amplification and high end speakers to achieve the most mundane sound on the planet. Furiuosly inventive lines that sit in the water and lack emotion...for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think he is extremely talented.

Keyboards in general over the last 2 decades-I don't like keys that sound like guitars. I didn't like it on Relayer and I do not like it now. Also, pitch bend is the worst sounding thing to my ears. Keyboard washes should have been flushed with the 80s. Each of them are phenomenal musicians...I don't want keys in a metal band.

I guess that is it and I don't mean to offend or instigate. I respect that there are a lot of DT fans on here and I understand why you like them. I have tried and wish that I could like them. I guess it took me almost 20 years to figure out why I didn't.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 18 2011, 06:23 AM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 17 2011, 08:28 AM)

Agree completely. Saw them last night in DC. The band was totally locked in and played with alot of enthusiasm, its obvious they're having fun. The setlist was excellent, and the new stuff went over very well to the packed crowd. James was the most impressive, hitting all the high notes and sounding great. Mangini's a great addition, and it seemed like the rest of the band - esp Myung, totally fed off it. John and Jordan amazing, per usual...

Not only the best DT show Ive ever seen, but the best hard rock show Ive seen in the last couple of years (yes, thats including the time machine tour). This tour's a cant miss folks.

I like the new album (except all of the REO Speedwagon ballads wink.gif ) but DT live without MP just doesn't seem right to me.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 19 2011, 05:19 PM)

LaBrie...I do not like that airy Streisand-esque voice he uses in songs like Vacant and Far From Heaven...

Myung-How do you use so much amplification and high end speakers to achieve the most mundane sound on the planet. Furiuosly inventive lines that sit in the water and lack emotion...for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think he is extremely talented.

I REALLY see where you're going here...LaBrie just ruins a bunch of songs with his sappy vocals. And Myung is pretty good - if only he'd show a bit more INTEREST in the band and asked hat his bass sound was a bit higher in the mix...