First six Steely Dan albums vs. first six Van Halen albums?

Texas King

First six Steely Dan albums vs. first six Van Halen albums?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. First six Steely Dan albums vs. first six Van Halen albums?

• Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill, Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, Aja
    • Van Halen: VH 1, VH 2, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984
  2. 2. Van Halen debut vs. Steely Dan - Aja?

• Van Halen debut
    • Steely Dan - Aja
  3. 3. Which band is more appealing to you?

• Steely Dan
    • Van Halen (Roth-era)

No surprise votes from me. But then I would choose early Van Halen to represent earth against a Kraken XI, the Mutant Space Aliens, any oppo you name.
  • Like 2

Although a close call, SD all the way for me as well. I don't even own any VH albums right now but have SD's entire catalog and listen to them from time to time. The reason it's close is just for the historic importance of those earliest VH albums. But SD is 'better music' IMO when I'm being objective.

Well I haven't heard all those Steely Dan albums, so I can't vote. But I can say from the three I have heard that, while I do think they're great, Van Halen is more my style.

No surprise votes from me. But then I would choose early Van Halen to represent earth against a Kraken XI, the Mutant Space Aliens, any oppo you name.

Would you choose Van Halen to represent Earth against an army of sentient chicken feet with space lasers who worship a statue of Sammy Hagar?

• Like 1

Would you choose Van Halen to represent Earth against an army of sentient chicken feet with space lasers who worship a statue of Sammy Hagar?

I would, I`d pickle their feet with Sammy`s own off-brand Tequila and make them alter the statue into one of Dave using their space lasers.
  • Like 1

This is a chalk n cheese question for crying out loud!! I actually love both bands but they appeal to a completely different state of mind.

Actually, due to the fact that I only have several SD albums, including Aja which is a masterpiece, and got into Dan via a Best of only, then I have to tip my vote to Eddie and Dave's high-(finger and dance (see DLR)!!)-tapping, high-kicking in yer face show which inspired a million other metal bands (some of which we wished they hadn't!!) mainly because I have everything by Van Halen and therefore pretty much know all their catalogue (although Balance is a bit hazy to me I admit!).

Also because they apparently blew away Black Sabbath when they supported them, according to an older friend who saw the gig. And because Eddie was one of Zappa's favourite guitarists - he actually thanked him for getting guitar-playing out of the doldrums (paraphrased) of the time.

But it's really a case of do you want high-octane, blistering-guitar-playing rock with all the squeals and effects only Hendrix could dream of or do you want sophisticated, cool New York jazz-rock (or whatever it is)? Depends on your state of mind at the time....

Like I said, they're both ace for different reasons.

• Like 1

I abstain. It's apples and oranges. When I eat a really good apple I think it's the best thing in the world. When I eat a really good orange I think it's the best thing in the world. As I grow old and reflect this is how I feel about music.
  • Like 3

Dan

Van Halen

Dan

Am I the only one who thinks Steely Dan is underappreciated? Yes, they have had a lot of success but it seems like people kind of forget about them.

I think it's their music. Their music is quiet. For me, I like listening to them because they calm me. Their sound is relaxed and easy.

I'm sorry I never saw them live

Dan

Van Halen

Dan

Am I the only one who thinks Steely Dan is underappreciated? Yes, they have had a lot of success but it seems like people kind of forget about them.

The Dan is a bit underappreciated here. but they have fans. outside of here people like the hits but i've rarely run into a superfan and of course i saw they were going against VH here i did a face palm. but they're only 2 behind VH in the general band poll if you notice. not the slaughter i thought.

they are far and away my fav band.

Mick

• Like 1

Dan

Van Halen

Dan

I think it's their music. Their music is quiet. For me, I like listening to them because they calm me. Their sound is relaxed and easy.

Steely Dan is sophisticated music, Van Halen is not.

• Like 1

Dan

Van Halen

Dan

Steely Dan is sophisticated music, Van Halen is not.

I`d agree with that, except I think there`s genius required to make Eddie`s unsophisticated music. There are many rock bands that are truly dumb but I don`t think VH lacked self-awareness.

And sometimes, if your brain needs a break, it`s awesome to be transported to that early DLR world.

• Like 2