Anyone try to schedule a vaccine appointment? Lol.

blueschica

Lol, indeed. Have tried through 2 different sites here in FL, no luck. The Publix stores with pharmacies are distributing, but only North of me in Palm Beach County where Trump is. Guess I'll have to wait until Walgreens starts getting made quantities of vaccine doses. Over 65 and immune system compromised, thanks a lot, mofos.

:hug2: :hug2: My sister is in the same boat in St. Pete. Glad they have stopped the vaccine tourists, anyway.

Tried the County Health Department appointment phone, connected on first try. Left information, they're supposed to have somebody call me when a first dose appointment opens up. We shall see..
  • Like 2

Future vaccine appointments had to canceled in my county due to short supply. Those who had an appointment are supposed to be rescheduled once more of the vaccine is in stock.

Yeah, a lot of us won't be getting this for a while yet.

• Like 1

Future vaccine appointments had to canceled in my county due to short supply. Those who had an appointment are supposed to be rescheduled once more of the vaccine is in stock.

Yeah, a lot of us won't be getting this for a while yet.

:( :(

• Like 1

Got my first shot today. How's everyone feeling after the shots? I feel generally crappy, but getting by.

Here's the kicker. Because I work for the gubment and considered 'essential', I got my shot a week after sign-up. But they haven't even contacted my 89 year old mother in law yet who's on the 20k waiting list. That's some f***ed up priorities. I wanted to give her my spot, but a) they probably wouldn't allow it and b) since I'm partially responsible for her care at least I'm vaxxed.

County vax process was well organized. In and out in about a half hour of going through the stations. They got 20k on the waiting list but are only getting 1-2k supply a week. They said they could do 6k a day.

Everyone else was getting shots in the arms, but they made me drop my pants to get it in the ass. I must be the exception.

• Like 2

Hallelujah! After 3 weeks of chasing down leads and having like six sites open on my computer every day so I could keep checking, I found my mom an appointment to get the first dose on Tuesday. I'll feel better 6 weeks from now, but I'm so glad she was able to get in. A neighbor has even offered to drive her, which is nice because it's been a few years since she's driven downtown.

I hope more vaccine is in the pipeline! Still so many people around here that qualify but can't get an appointment.

• Like 2

Here's a novel idea. Have Jeff Bezos and Amazon handle all the vaccine distribution. Say what you want about Amazon, but they know distribution. Have a medical tech ride in every Amazon delivery truck with vaccines. Want your vaccine with your delivery? Boom, done!

If the government ran Amazon it would take 3 months to get our deliveries.

Yes. Makes you wonder why people want it to do more than it absolutely has to.

• Like 1

I'm on the list in my county in VA. I got on it a few weeks ago, and then the state stepped in with a statewide program, but apparently I'm still in my spot on the list for the county. I think they were running at about a 6 week waiting time.
  • Like 2

40 year-old wife got a text offering her the jab next Friday AM. Much earlier than I`ll get mine due to her strange immune system. (That`s the system in the UK, you`re contacted when it`s your turn - one of the very few things done right over the last ten years pandemic).
  • Like 2

Received first vaccination 2/12, was given same phone number of initial appointment to get a live call back to set up appointment for second one, to be received 3/4. No response, called again last Thursday (2/25), left information again. If I don't get a call back by Wednesday, I'm calling again. Handled by State of Florida Health Department, through their clinics and drive through sites located in County and City parks. Zzzzzzz.
  • Like 2

Finally rolled over to my age bracket, hubby just got his yesterday. I registered for one later on 3/8 since I have some test results I am waiting on. The vaccine could cause a false positive on them so I can go when I get the all clear. They just opened testing up to a bigger group on the 1st but a bunch of folks decided to register early. Over 6,000 tried to jump the line so their tests were cancelled and rescheduling them. Think that's what happened to my sister, she is stressed out and wanted to get it as soon as possible (has asthma). :eh: But she will go on the 10th so it's good.

The state is also starting to let folks get vaccinated in counties other than where they live. If their county runs out, they can go to another that has doses left. We had that a few weeks ago, a few counties announced they had extra and invited people to come use them.

It is encouraging that things are ramping up, not perfect by any means but at least we are seeing good progress and now that J&J vaccine is going out, it is hoped more people who need it can get it.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

We don't have to register, you are contacted according to priority by the NHS.

My parents who are in their 70s have already had first jab and we are due 15th March.

• Like 1

My parents who are in their 70s have already had first jab and we are due 15th March.

That sounds like a better way to do it than here in America where everyone has to call or go online to have even the slightest chance of getting an appointment.

My dad is a type 2 diabetic and had double bypass surgery two years ago and hasn't gotten anything yet. My older brother is also diabetic and is a home health care aide. You think he would be a higher priority given his job, right? Nope. No word on when his employer might be able to get him vaccinated yet.

• Like 1

That sounds like a better way to do it than here in America where everyone has to call or go online to have even the slightest chance of getting an appointment.

My dad is a type 2 diabetic and had double bypass surgery two years ago and hasn't gotten anything yet. My older brother is also diabetic and is a home health care aide. You think he would be a higher priority given his job, right? Nope. No word on when his employer might be able to get him vaccinated yet.

It sounds like more doses are in the pipeline. I hope your dad and brother can get vaccinated soon!

• Like 1

It sounds like more doses are in the pipeline. I hope your dad and brother can get vaccinated soon!

The one shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine should help speed things up. I prefer the one and done option myself instead of having to get a second dose like the other vaccines.

• Like 1

That's too bad. I hope that your dad and brother can get their shots soon.

This whole experience really illustrates the difference between the public and private sector. The private sector drug companies came up with multiple vaccines in less than a year, which most people who know more about this stuff than I call a miracle. Merck and J&J have apparently reached an agreement so that Merck will produce the J&J vaccine so that there's more available. But once the project got turned over to the government to implement the process of getting people vaccinated, well, you get the Department of Motor Vehicles.

• Like 4

This whole experience really illustrates the difference between the public and private sector. The private sector drug companies came up with multiple vaccines in less than a year, which most people who know more about this stuff than I call a miracle. Merck and J&J have apparently reached an agreement so that Merck will produce the J&J vaccine so that there's more available. But once the project got turned over to the government to implement the process of getting people vaccinated, well, you get the Department of Motor Vehicles.

It really varies from state to state but the reason more doses are going to be available is the President ordered the Defense Production Act to ramp up and help Merck get the equipment needed to start producing doses. We need production to increase. Also for the month of March the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program for COVID-19 Vaccination is being implemented so perhaps some can start getting their doses at local pharmacies.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

It really varies from state to state but the reason more doses are going to be available is the President ordered the Defense Production Act to ramp up and help Merck get the equipment needed to start producing doses. We need production to increase. Also for the month of March the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program for COVID-19 Vaccination is being implemented so perhaps some can start getting their doses at local pharmacies.

I hope that ends up being the case, because not too long ago the president had said the problem was that there was no plan in place for actually administering the vaccines.

https://www.cnn.com/...rump/index.html

Newly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN, posing a significant challenge for the new White House.

We've also heard that hospitals threw out doses because they couldn't find the "right" people to give them to.

https://www.nbcnews....elines-n1254364

Why is this happening? Covid-19 vaccines have a short shelf life once they are thawed out for use, Jha said. And because of federal and state mandates, hospitals and other health care providers would rather risk a dose going bad than give it to somebody who isn't scheduled to get a shot.

Seems like the explanation is a bit of a moving target.

• Like 1

Got my first dose of Moderna today in a drive thru setup by County Health Department, I was one of over 2,000 doses administered. Was a nice day and it went like clockwork. Waited 15 minutes after the shot and that was it. No problems so far and my second dose is set for April too. The state website is running much more smoothly now and the county got the glitches fixed.
  • Like 2

I'm in the late priority - priority 10, which is the last part, and where previously it wasn't even a priority. I could be getting my vaccine letter anytime between April and June.

I'm in the late priority - priority 10, which is the last part, and where previously it wasn't even a priority. I could be getting my vaccine letter anytime between April and June.

I hope it's near the earlier part! :hi:

• Like 1