#5201 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 45361 posts
  • Interests:R.E.M., Bill Berry, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

My favorite book!! I got it for Christmas n finished it in 3 days, I wanna re read it again bc it's so funny, cute, n a bit touching. Gets me in the feels a bit too. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Edited by Permanent-Rush, 30 December 2017 - 04:32 PM.

Sponsored Post

#5202 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9194 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

Just finished this one:

Posted Image

And immediately started this one:
Posted Image

#5203 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58784 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Posted Image

Dense, but it's great so far.

#5204 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7031 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

The Disaster Artist- Greg Sestero.

It's the book the recent movie was based on.  Both tell the story of the making of the cult bad movie, The Room, and the story of The Room's writer-director-producer-actor Tommy Wiseau. Very entertaining; the author is skeptical and affectionate of Tommy at the same time.

#5205 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9194 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

View Postblueschica, on 03 January 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

It's the book the recent movie was based on.  Both tell the story of the making of the cult bad movie, The Room, and the story of The Room's writer-director-producer-actor Tommy Wiseau. Very entertaining; the author is skeptical and affectionate of Tommy at the same time.

I wanna buy it! I saw the movie last week. "What a story, blueschica!"

#5206 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7031 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 03 January 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 03 January 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

I wanna buy it! I saw the movie last week. "What a story, blueschica!"

Yes, now I can't wait to see both "The Room" and "The Disaster Artist" movies !!   "Oh, Hi Mark !!"

#5207 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9194 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:07 AM

Watch The Room first... I saw The Disaster Artist last week, and kept thinking that someone who hasn't seen The Room before will not enjoy it as much.

#5208 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 18616 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 04 January 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

Watch The Room first... I saw The Disaster Artist last week, and kept thinking that someone who hasn't seen The Room before will not enjoy it as much.

Even more so, watch it on Rifftrax and the review by Nostalgia Critic. Love Mike Nelson’s reaction to the scene with Denny crying like a girl about the drugs:

“It’s like Richard Simmons playing the James Dean role in Rebel Without A Cause!” :rfl:

Fire And Fury by Michael Wolff (audiobook format)

Edited by invisible airwave, 05 January 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#5209 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:42 AM

The Confessor by Daniel Silva. So far, not the thriller I was promised. Pretty predictable

#5210 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21877 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Bradford PA)

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image

#5211 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4844 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:48 AM

Going thru the Qur'an again. Halfway there.
Interesting that it's essentially an addendum to the Bible, with many Biblical figures/stories featuring prominently.
Also interesting to read it while I'm in a Muslim country (Indonesia).
And I find its telescopic structure quite fascinating.

Main reason I'm re-reading it is that I'm writing something involving a Muslim character, and just want to make sure that I understand as much as possible, and to cover my ass if offense is taken (the character, while a good person, swears a lot and is conflicted about wearing a hijab, and based on someone I met a few years ago).
The Oxford Classics version has a great introduction and decent footnotes, and is not translated as a poem (which the original Arabic text is). It's translated by MAS Abdel Haleem, if anyone is interested.

The main difference with Christianity is that Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet (or "Messenger") and not the physical son of god.
The main difference with Judaism is that Muslims are against usury. That's pretty much it.

The Qur'an made simple!
By simpleton vt.

#5212 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4844 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

Got 3 on the go:

Four Hours in My Lai - Bilton/Sym.   Saw the documentary of the same name, so now reading the book. Brutal.

Cambodian Interlude - Tom Riddle.    So far a good read amusingly told about the first election in Cambodia in 1993 and the UN’s attempts to help.

Mother Tongue: The English Language - Bill Bryson.   Never read Bryson before. So far so sood. Never realized how difficult it was to define the word “what” (apparently takes 5 pages in the Oxford English Dictionary)!

#5213 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7482 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

Steven Pinker - The Better Angels Of Our Nature

#5214 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

• Members *
  • 20057 posts
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

Lately.......... The Bible.

#5215 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58784 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 10 February 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

Lately.......... The Bible.
Still a good read, even with all the spoilers that are out there?

#5216 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

• Members *
  • 20057 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 14 January 2018 - 03:48 AM, said:

Interesting that it's essentially an addendum to the Bible, with many Biblical figures/stories featuring prominently.

Main reason I'm re-reading it is that I'm writing something involving a Muslim character, and just want to make sure that I understand as much as possible, and to cover my ass if offense is taken (the character, while a good person, swears a lot and is conflicted about wearing a hijab, and based on someone I met a few years ago).
The Oxford Classics version has a great introduction and decent footnotes, and is not translated as a poem (which the original Arabic text is). It's translated by MAS Abdel Haleem, if anyone is interested.

The main difference with Christianity is that Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet (or "Messenger") and not the physical son of god.
The main difference with Judaism is that Muslims are against usury. That's pretty much it.

The Qur'an made simple!
By simpleton vt.
Not even close.  The difference is much deeper and more complex.

#5217 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4844 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 11 February 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

The Qur'an made simple!
By simpleton vt.

I assume you’re referring to the last couple of sentences? Notice the “Qur’an made simple” joke?
Of course the differences are deeper and more complex but these appear to be the main sticking points. They believe in the 10 commandments, they believe in Jesus. They certainly believe in Noah and Moses because half the book is endless repetitions of their stories! :lol:
I’m happy to hear your take on the Qur’an, if you care to enlighten. Not an easy book to read. Like the Bible, or pretty much every religious text, some of it’s a slog but there are some good bits. The telescopic structure is very cool.

#5218 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4844 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Bogged down with Bill Bryson’s Mother Tongue. Can’t describe it as super compelling although very interesting. English is indeed a flexible language.
Halfway thru Off the Road by Caroline Cassady (The wife of Neil Cassady, Jack Kerouac's traveling partner and essentially the Dean Moriarty figure in On The Road). What a bunch of jerks. :P

#5219 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

• Members *
  • 20057 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 12 February 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 11 February 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

The Qur'an made simple!
By simpleton vt.

I assume you’re referring to the last couple of sentences? Notice the “Qur’an made simple” joke?
Of course the differences are deeper and more complex but these appear to be the main sticking points. They believe in the 10 commandments, they believe in Jesus. They certainly believe in Noah and Moses because half the book is endless repetitions of their stories! :lol:
I’m happy to hear your take on the Qur’an, if you care to enlighten. Not an easy book to read. Like the Bible, or pretty much every religious text, some of it’s a slog but there are some good bits. The telescopic structure is very cool.
They don't believe in Jesus as the only way to salvation.  The Koran also teaches that you can get to heaven by good works.  The Koran does not teach that the way to the Father is through Jesus.  The Muslims believe that Jesus was nothing more than a profit.  In other words, the Koran doesn't teach that Jesus was here from the beginning and to the everlasting.  It's not part fo their teaching.

#5220 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

• Members *
  • 20057 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

And not to hijack this thread.........maybe you should PM me.  I don't think this conversation is suitable for this sub forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users