What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

I have finished 2 books recently and am near to finishing a third.

The first book I finished was "A Fine Mess: A Global Quest for a Simpler, Fairer, and More Efficient Tax System". Since a lot of what I do for a living involves tax's this book spoke a language I could understand. That being said, its very well written and a non-accountant can follow it. I agreed with many of the points the author made, disagreed with a few and some I initially disagreed with but ultimately agreed with his arguments. Its a quick read at 256 pages and I recommend it.

The second book I finished is by Edward Luce and its titled "The Retreat of Western Liberalism". Its broken down into 4 parts. The first part deals with the integration of the global economy and the radical impact its having on economies in western Europe and the US. In part he argues that, driven by the rise of China & automation, the downward pressure on the West's middle classes in the coming decades will be relentless. The second part explains the resulting degeneration of politics in Western Europe and the US - which he believes will be much nastier then we have seen to date. The 3rd part explores the implications of declining US - and Western - hegemony. He argues that in the long term chaos, not China, will fill Americas shoes as the #1 power (not a nice thought either way IMO). The 4th part asks what is to be done.

It should be noted that by "Liberalism" the author is not so much talking about liberal political parties (e.g. the Dem's in the US or Labor in the UK) as he is talking about democracy. Its a very quick and thoughtful read at 204 pages.

I highly recommend this one. Should only take you a few hours to read but may leave you thinking for a long time.

The 3rd book I am currently working on is "Rat F**ked: Why Your Vote Doesn't Count". Its 272 pages and is by David Daley. Basically its about gerrymandering and the effect its have on democracy in the US. Its the hardest of the 3 books to read (the worst written of the 3) but eye opening in many ways. I would also recommend it.

Re-re-reading this dark little gem:

titan1.jpg?w=290

Less than 100 pages to go. Great stuff.

"I don't know what's going on...and I'm probably not smart enough to understand if somebody was to explain it to me.

All I know is we're being tested somehow, by somebody or some thing a whole lot smarter than us, and all I can do is

be friendly and keep calm and try to have a nice time till it's over." - The philosophy of Boaz

I just finished Neil's Ghost Rider and I won't bore you with my opinion. I am halfway through Alastair Reynolds The Prefect, which is brilliant. Boy, he can write. A way future suspense detective novel involving deep space villain and police. But if you haven't read his other Revelation Space novels you'll be lost.

I'm reading "The Hellfire Club" by Peter Straub. Really like his style: kind of a cross between the freaky-but-grounded-in-reality of Stephen King and the just-totally-out-there of Clive Barker.

The only Peter Straub solo book I've read was Ghost Story. Good and scary. Of the Straub/King collaborations, I've read The Talisman and Black House several times. The Talisman was a favorite for a while 'til I read it one too many times. Still, great book. I'll have to try some of Straub's other books. Never tried Clive Barker, though. Never really been interested.

Patricia Highsmith - The Cry Of The Owl

Just read:

Steven King - Revival

Your opinion of "Revival"?

I'm interested as well since I couldn't get past the first part. Does it get better? So much of Stephen King's newer stuff is hit or miss for me.

• Like 1

My opinion? It's an interesting read throughout. This kid following his hero. The payoff is at the end, when it gets really Stephen Kingy...shades of Pet Semetary. Hope that's not giving too much away. But, to me, it pays to stick this one out.
  • Like 1

My opinion? It's an interesting read throughout. This kid following his hero. The payoff is at the end, when it gets really Stephen Kingy...shades of Pet Semetary. Hope that's not giving too much away. But, to me, it pays to stick this one out.

Cool! I'll give it another try.

• Like 1

Stephen King (my favorite author, by the way) usually has "scary" moments throughout his novels. This one is kind of a build up. But really...don't trust my opinion too much. The guy could publish a grocery list and I'd buy it.
  • Like 1

Stephen King (my favorite author, by the way) usually has "scary" moments throughout his novels. This one is kind of a build up. But really...don't trust my opinion too much. The guy could publish a grocery list and I'd buy it.

By the way, what's up with this Dark Tower movie? They stretched out 4 Tolkien books (which I love) into 6 movies (yeah...I love those as well) but they condense 7 mind-blowing novels into 1 movie? No way! I still may see it, if only because I need more than real-life shit to piss me off!

By the way, what's up with this Dark Tower movie? They stretched out 4 Tolkien books (which I love) into 6 movies (yeah...I love those as well) but they condense 7 mind-blowing novels into 1 movie? No way! I still may see it, if only because I need more than real-life shit to piss me off!

I was actually going to start a thread about that. I don't know how they can pull it off. I love both actors so I don't doubt they can pull off the characterizations of The Gunslinger ad The Man in Black, but the story is another more complicated thing all together. When I first heard they were making it into a movie I just assumed it was going to be more than one part (a la Lord of the Rings or The Hunger Games). I mean HELLO, it's only a 7 novel series! I don't know if I can take it. May have to just wait for video and seethe in the comfort of my own home.

• Like 1

I was actually going to start a thread about that. I don't know how they can pull it off. I love both actors so I don't doubt they can pull off the characterizations of The Gunslinger ad The Man in Black, but the story is another more complicated thing all together. When I first heard they were making it into a movie I just assumed it was going to be more than one part (a la Lord of the Rings or The Hunger Games). I mean HELLO, it's only a 7 novel series! I don't know if I can take it. May have to just wait for video and seethe in the comfort of my own home.

My feeling (without seeing it) is it will be a "loosely based" kind of thing. Hell..."Wizard and Glass" alone deserves a full movie treatment!

My feeling (without seeing it) is it will be a "loosely based" kind of thing. Hell..."Wizard and Glass" alone deserves a full movie treatment!

Because that's when the Gunslinger really became THE GUNSLINGER!