#41 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1722 posts
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:30 AM

View Postchemistry1973, on 13 October 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

There was a MEGA communal spirit at the Forum that night. Geddy could've had laryngitis and the audience wouldn't have cared.

It was fantastic - and this is despite NP's seemingly lethargic approach. That said, Peart was mostly great. I still can't get over how shitty his drum-kit sounded. Only to again hear the shittiness on the DVD! Seriously - I believe someone forgot to tune the toms after they replaced the heads that afternoon.

WTF was that about?

STILL - there were so many HOLY SHIT moments - great old song selection - Jacobs Ladder absolutely ruled (even with NP changing so much of his part). Losing It melted my brain. Best concert moment of my life. The whole venue was stunned by that.
Agree about his drums. Just bizarre. Drums sounded like they were underwater.  Live and DVD sounded the same.  The snare intro on JL, was he even playing?  Sounded like he had Moon gel pads on them so as not to wake the neighbors.

Sponsored Post

#42 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 9793 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 07 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

Don't fret

Van squalin was at the wine store. Says an outside chance of Leefson is possible

#43 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 11365 posts
  • Interests:Living things

Objects

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:04 AM

View PostGabesCavesOfIce, on 07 November 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

Don't fret

Van squalin was at the wine store. Says an outside chance of Leefson is possible

If you are thinking of a career as a comedian then I wouldn't give up your day job just yet.

#44 Lurkst

Lurkst

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:16 AM

View PostGed Lent, on 06 June 2020 - 02:14 AM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 28 March 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

I was angry for a very long time on the guys for not doing R40 in europe... [edit mine] but I did get to see them during Time Machine Tour and Clockwork Angels Tour (twice).
The way I see it, it's my fault they didn't come back to Europe because I didn't go to see them in Berlin in 2013. I'm sure Alex was like, "That guy that was in the front row for p/g hasn't been to another show since. We gave him what anybody would've thought was a final opportunity for CA two years ago. Why go back there again? He won't show up."

In fairness to me, it wasn't the high price or a lack of love, but the venue and chance I'd've had to be proximate to the performance. I was lucky enough to be young once and full of the energy and determination (and time) to wait in all-day lines and/or know someone who could snag me the opportunity to get up close enough to see and hear them in all their glory without looking at a big screen, or hearing them via the doppler effect. I still think today that had I gone to the O2 Arena, I'd've been weeping from the rafters, making it potentially a more negative experience than not having been there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pity I never knew this at the time. I had a spare ticket for down the front the O2 World, which I sold outside the venue (for face value, I'm not a scalper ;) ).

If they'd played all of Xanadu and the full intro to Cygnus I'd have been really bummed to miss R40. As it stands I'm only slightly bummed.

IMO their performance peak was between 97 and 07 and I saw them plenty in that period, as well as before and after. I really can't complain about not fully appreciating what Rush offered as a live act.

Plus it was fun sitting up with a few beers following the R40 shows on Periscope :)

Edited by Lurkst, 06 December 2020 - 05:16 AM.

#45 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

The Seeker

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:37 AM

View PostLurkst, on 06 December 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

View PostGed Lent, on 06 June 2020 - 02:14 AM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 28 March 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

I was angry for a very long time on the guys for not doing R40 in europe... [edit mine] but I did get to see them during Time Machine Tour and Clockwork Angels Tour (twice).
The way I see it, it's my fault they didn't come back to Europe because I didn't go to see them in Berlin in 2013. I'm sure Alex was like, "That guy that was in the front row for p/g hasn't been to another show since. We gave him what anybody would've thought was a final opportunity for CA two years ago. Why go back there again? He won't show up."

In fairness to me, it wasn't the high price or a lack of love, but the venue and chance I'd've had to be proximate to the performance. I was lucky enough to be young once and full of the energy and determination (and time) to wait in all-day lines and/or know someone who could snag me the opportunity to get up close enough to see and hear them in all their glory without looking at a big screen, or hearing them via the doppler effect. I still think today that had I gone to the O2 Arena, I'd've been weeping from the rafters, making it potentially a more negative experience than not having been there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pity I never knew this at the time. I had a spare ticket for down the front the O2 World, which I sold outside the venue (for face value, I'm not a scalper ;) ).

If they'd played all of Xanadu and the full intro to Cygnus I'd have been really bummed to miss R40. As it stands I'm only slightly bummed.

IMO their performance peak was between 97 and 07 and I saw them plenty in that period, as well as before and after. I really can't complain about not fully appreciating what Rush offered as a live act.

Plus it was fun sitting up with a few beers following the R40 shows on Periscope :)
Yeah, that's a pity for sure. But even had I done a bee-line and gone down there (I was walking up Warschauer on my way home when I saw a guy in a Rush-tee (and actually drumming the air with real sticks in his hand) walking the opposite direction), the chances of just happening to run into you before you'd already unloaded you extra ticket are almost as slim as my chances of ever getting another good seat in any area and any era.

Still, reading your assessment of peak period 97-07 makes me think about how good some of those shows had to have been.  No lyric resonates more with me still than "the years went by, we drifted apart, when I heard that he had gone, I felt a shadow cross my heart". It is so true re. my only having kept one eye on the band all the way through this century and to their retirement and then, bam. Neil's gone.

#46 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:writing, travel, guitar, long balks on the weach

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

Judging from the comments here, and from YouTube videos, I'm not too bummed about missing R40.

But I AM bummed at missing R30. Those setlists look perfect, to my almost exact taste, and at that point the band seemed to be at the height of their live power.

I did see the S&A tour a few years later, but ...
1) the setlist wasn't as good
2) Neil's drum kit sounded weird
3) it was at an outdoor venue, which I didn't like for them

#47 jnoble

jnoble

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:09 AM

View PostWeatherman, on 16 December 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

Judging from the comments here, and from YouTube videos, I'm not too bummed about missing R40.

But I AM bummed at missing R30. Those setlists look perfect, to my almost exact taste, and at that point the band seemed to be at the height of their live power.

I think R30 was the last tour before Geddy's voice really started going downhill
After that it was very hit or miss on both the studio albums and live shows

The Snakes tour set list indeed a mixed bag:
One part old classics they HAD to play
One part obscure/rarities they hadn't played in many years or ever
One part new songs from the album that you either loved or hated

Plus his voice was either good or strained and cracking depending on which night you saw them.

When I pop in the DVD, I just skip around to the obscure songs like Circumstances, Entre Nous , Mission etc they brought back that tour

Edited by jnoble, 19 December 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#48 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:writing, travel, guitar, long balks on the weach

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

View Postjnoble, on 19 December 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostWeatherman, on 16 December 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

I think R30 was the last tour before Geddy's voice really started going downhill
After that it was very hit or miss on both the studio albums and live shows

The Snakes tour set list indeed a mixed bag:
One part old classics they HAD to play
One part obscure/rarities they hadn't played in many years or ever
One part new songs from the album that you either loved or hated

Plus his voice was either good or strained and cracking depending on which night you saw them.

When I pop in the DVD, I just skip around to the obscure songs like Circumstances, Entre Nous , Mission etc they brought back that tour

Yeah, at my show they played both Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance, which was great.
But they ignored most of the synth era -- only 3 songs total from Signals thru HYF. They also ignored Counterparts and Presto.
Then they played 6 songs in a row from S & A. Heavy eyeroll.
But worst of all they opened with Limelight IN THE DAYTIME. How are you supposed to show a spotlight on Alex in the freaking sunlight? It should've been illegal to play a song about a spotlight in any other time than at night.

#49 jnoble

jnoble

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 09:07 PM

I wasn't a fan of Limelight as an opener. It's just not that type of song

#50 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2958 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:00 PM

View Postjnoble, on 21 December 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Nah...Spirit of Radio was probably the best opener!

The one thing I DID love about these guys live was that they never really did the same setlist from one year to the next!

From the time they came back on the Vapor Trails Tour, they really mixed it up from tour to tour!  When they got to R30, I was a little disappointed that they didn't open the second set with another "overture". The first set was great because I never got to hear any off Bastille Day live, so.....

#51 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4740 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:00 PM

I saw Clockwork Angels Tour twice, 9 shows into the tour and 5 shows from the end.  Same setlist both times, with no Limelight and no Manhattan Project. I would've loved to have seen it, even as a show opener.   But Snakes And Arrows tour happened when I was in grade 12 and mom didn't want me to miss any school at the time, so it didn't happen.  Damn parents looking out for my life.

Edited by Cygnus 2112, 11 February 2021 - 11:00 PM.

#52 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

The Seeker

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:02 AM

View PostJaminbenb, on 11 February 2021 - 12:00 PM, said:

Nah...Spirit of Radio was probably the best opener!

It's funny I'd never given their opener much thought in these terms, but "Limelight" as an opener does seem like an odd choice. Fantastic song, but the energy seems all wrong (not the least for a band with their name).

Speaking of "SoR": My first concert had the best opener and subsequent first few of the set: 2112, Freewill, By-Tor, Xanadu, The Spirit Of Radio, Natural Science!... I'm getting goosebumps typing this. I, too, am still bummed I missed R40.

#53 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5422 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:52 AM

I'm a fan of opening with Limelight. If I have to hear it, best to get it out of the way quickly.

#54 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 97311 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:17 PM

View PostHolly, on 03 March 2020 - 06:13 PM, said:

I did see R30 and the Time Machine Tour, but when R40 happened, I'd moved to Idaho from Los Angeles, and so the closest to me I think would have been Salt Lake City, and I just didn't make it. I will kick myself for ever over that decision.

#55 jnoble

jnoble

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:58 PM

Dreamline was always a great opener

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users