Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

Marillion the Hogarth years.

after years of struggling with anything post fish.  This side of the band just flew WIDE open.

this is some truly beautiful music.

I feel sad for having dismissed it for so long.  in a lot of ways it's like if Radiohead hadn't gone all in on Kid A.  and stayed more rock and less...laptop? lol. it's very layered and emotive.

Mick

• Like 1

Anthrax, Dan Fogelberg, Pearl Jam and Taylor Swift.

Pretty much all I have binged listened too this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Spiritbox

All you LC fans out there, if you have not checked this Canadian band out yet, you really should

Segue seemed to like them back when Eternal Blue came out and I talked about them a bit but as far as I know, Supersmasher and myself are the only fans of them who post here. I can see the growling turning some people off. Courtney's clean voice is fantastic though. Great sense of melody. They're opening for Shinedown and Papa Roach right now so I assume Courtney is scarring the crap out of those fans with her growls and I'm perfectly ok with that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Segue seemed to like them back when Eternal Blue came out and I talked about them a bit but as far as I know, Supersmasher and myself are the only fans of them who post here. I can see the growling turning some people off. Courtney's clean voice is fantastic though. Great sense of melody. They're opening for Shinedown and Papa Roach right now so I assume Courtney is scarring the crap out of those fans with her growls and I'm perfectly ok with that.

Rule of Nines came up in a playlist the other day. Yeah the unclean vocals are never my vibe but if they're used sparingly or as a secondary instrument like it's done here or on a lot of Tesseract's stuff it works.

Great song.

• Like 2

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Can't get enough of these guys. Just starting to dive down their live shows, especially post-COVID where they got a lot jammier and have more metal songs to add to their set.

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I really like them! Oddly they came out just as my interest in female fronted metal and rock came to an all time low.

But as always, their music is waiting for me when I'm ready! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Analog Cub said:

Rule of Nines came up in a playlist the other day. Yeah the unclean vocals are never my vibe but if they're used sparingly or as a secondary instrument like it's done here or on a lot of Tesseract's stuff it works.

Great song.

There are songs where Courtney does growl through the whole thing. But mostly she uses the growl/scream for emphasis and impact. They have an EP coming out in November. Here's on of the songs off it. BANGER!

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Great song.

Speaking of Tesseract, Spiritbox to me sounds like it might have the same producer. Both of these bands just sound like they have layers and ranges that other bands don't have or choose not to use. 

On 9/4/2023 at 7:19 PM, Wandering Hermit said:

Speaking of Tesseract, Spiritbox to me sounds like it might have the same producer. Both of these bands just sound like they have layers and ranges that other bands don't have or choose not to use. 

Some quick googling indicates they don't share producers, but Tesseract is an influence on Spiritbox.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 11:01 PM, The Analog Cub said:

Some quick googling indicates they don't share producers, but Tesseract is an influence on Spiritbox.

My hopes for Spiritbox going forward are:

1. Go proggier. They have the skill and the sense to do it.

2. MInimize the screams. Her clean voice is so gorgeous. Screams are good to the extent that they are rare accents, IMO.

3. Get a new font.