Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

I don't think I heard the new Metallica enough to judge his drumming on it. I don't really understand what the overall problem is with it though. I'm not saying he's one of the best ever but I've also never heard anything from him besides St Anger that's worthy of all the criticism.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't think I heard the new Metallica enough to judge his drumming on it. I don't really understand what the overall problem is with it though. I'm not saying he's one of the best ever but I've also never heard anything from him besides St Anger that's worthy of all the criticism.

I love Lars’ drumming on the first four albums.

He has moments of brilliance on The Black Album (albeit brilliance through simplicity), but much of his work from that point on is boring and almost laughably meat and potatoes. It doesn’t lend itself naturally to the more complex riffs Metallica was once capable of, nor the lengthy, complex nature of their songs which persists through to today.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

He has moments of brilliance on The Black Album (albeit brilliance through simplicity), but much of his work from that point on is boring and almost laughably meat and potatoes. It doesn’t lend itself naturally to the more complex riffs Metallica was once capable of, nor the lengthy, complex nature of their songs which persists through to today.

I think of him as the Charlie Watts of metal drumming. He doesn't do anything fancy but just does what's best for the song.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Maybe it's the mix, but once I noticed his drumming on Justice, I fell out of love with that album and Metallica at large. Its just awful. I'm not good with musical terms or describing what I hear, but that was one of my favourite albums for a while and one day I really listened to Lars and it just ruined everything.

I don't mind the early albums, but Metallica aren't a band I rate highly at all. Mad respect for them though.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:59 AM, Segue Myles said:

Maybe it's the mix, but once I noticed his drumming on Justice, I fell out of love with that album and Metallica at large. Its just awful. I'm not good with musical terms or describing what I hear, but that was one of my favourite albums for a while and one day I really listened to Lars and it just ruined everything.

I don't mind the early albums, but Metallica aren't a band I rate highly at all. Mad respect for them though.

Oh see that’s my very favorite Metallica album, and Lars’ drumming on it is a massive reason why. His fills are so musical and his grooves very creative. Very technical too, that stuff doesn’t sound easy to play.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh see that’s my very favorite Metallica album, and Lars’ drumming on it is a massive reason why. His fills are so musical and his grooves very creative. Very technical too, that stuff doesn’t sound easy to play.

LOL Yea lars is my fav thing on there too.

his kick drum is MASSIVE on that record.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Fair to say I don't like him at all then, as what you find interesting I found a total turnoff.

20 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Fair to say I don't like him at all then, as what you find interesting I found a total turnoff.

Fair enough

Maybe not obsessed by a few artists i'm gravitating towards most lately

Cat Stevens

Steve Lukathar

Tom Waits

Steely Dan (late night binge last night....perfect for this band)

Mick

• Like 3

Back to Mastodon and Brann Dailor. Not only is he an insanely good drummer, but now as I get into the band more and realize who is singing what... my goodness. How many drummers can sing this well? Even if he played like Bun E Carlos but kept that voice, I'd still listen. 

If we designate a metric to capture drumming and singing skill, I don't think he has much competition.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Back to Mastodon and Brann Dailor. Not only is he an insanely good drummer, but now as I get into the band more and realize who is singing what... my goodness. How many drummers can sing this well? Even if he played like Bun E Carlos but kept that voice, I'd still listen. 

If we designate a metric to capture drumming and singing skill, I don't think he has much competition.

He's my favourite drummer in metal, possibly ever.

Fun fact: Mastodon lead me to Rush. Brann did an interview gushing over Rush and it stayed with me. In 2011 I bought Moving Pictures on a whim, and it changed my life.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

Talking mastodon is a fav hobby.  Segue introduced me to theem a couple years back.  I started with blood Mountain on his suggestion (spoiler it was NOT my fav, lol)  but i went wow these guys are continuing classic Rush a bit after Rush themselves kinda dropped that sound.

The deeper i dug i found ok yea Rush but the Blue Oyster cult vibe is REAL.

Now they've kinda (thanks mostly to Brent)  added SOUTHERN FUKKIN' ROCK to their deal, lol

god i love them.

Mick

• Like 4

Just watched the long documentary on YT on the making of Hushed and Grim. I assume yins have seen that. It is funny as hell. Now I see more connections, as this film featured producer David Bottrill, who of course brought us the VT remix and Lateralus and ton of other good stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Good article on the utterly unique sound and style of A7X's Life Is But a Dream:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/avenged-sevenfold-life-is-but-a-dream-the-story-behind-the-album

One of the oddest albums I've heard from a major league metal band! 

Definitely enjoyed my experience with it, with Mick in the background observing with popcorn lmao 

• Like 1

I tried to branch more into metal again yesterday, but I'm still all over Pearl Jam and Taylor Swift.

Guess that's my year 🤣

• Like 1

Septicflesh

Oh my god they are the epitome of hideous beautiful 

f**k I love them. 

On 7/8/2023 at 8:59 AM, Segue Myles said:

🤔Yeah like yourself Segue,  whilst I respect them and still play Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets from time to time, I’ve always preferred,  and still do to this date Megadeth

On 7/10/2023 at 5:21 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Fair enough

For me the issue with that album was the severe lack of Jason’s ( victim of being the

‘ new kid in town ‘  joining an established band maybe ) Bass 

On 7/12/2023 at 4:59 PM, Segue Myles said:

He's my favourite drummer in metal, possibly ever.

Fun fact: Mastodon lead me to Rush. Brann did an interview gushing over Rush and it stayed with me. In 2011 I bought Moving Pictures on a whim, and it changed my life.

Interesting point of entry to :rush:

For me it was the Grace Under Pressure album which reminded me of a more hard rocking version of The Police (whom I’d already loved … yep I know Sting can be a bit of a knob ! 🙃🤣..but their songs and musicianship can’t be denied ) 

Chris Rea.

Best way i can describe him is if you took Boz Scaggs, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Mark Knopler and Tom Waits. Let them brawl in a room.  and just beat the shit out of each other.  you take the bloody puddle that is left.  then genetically fuse them all together.  you get Chris rea.

:laugh: That's actually a super description, lol.

Segue introduced me to him and the funny part is he went "Here's auberge (a mid period album)  try this and don't worry about early Rea."

tried it.  liked it. not love.  Went back tried the debut.  LOVED IT:laugh2:

and to this day rea from like 78-86 is my preferred period, lol

Mick