Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

23 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔Not so many Singing Drummers though I guess ..

Phil Collins, Don Henley, Kelly Keagy, 

Roger Taylor, Ringo, Dave Grohl,

Deen Castnovo ..all instantly spring to mind though 

Not so many but there's also Gil Moore, Peter Criss and Eric Carr.

• Like 2

Pearl Jam

Honestly one of the best discographies ever. I only dislike one album, and that's Gigaton.

But hey! I have two brilliant versions of Ten so that makes up for it 😂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

STILL PEARL JAM

How does Pearl Jam taste anyway? Is it like Strawberry Jam? Or more like a Pearl Necklace?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

How does Pearl Jam taste anyway? Is it like Strawberry Jam? Or more like a Pearl Necklace?

In the ZZ Top song Pearl Necklace, the kind of necklace they're referring to is more like a Jam than a Pearl.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

it's full of little jelly filled marbles to represent the marbles in Eddie's mouth.:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Dirty boy, a lady doesn't answer such questions.

But as you asked, RANK

• Haha 1

I don’t obsess over any bands anymore. Which isn’t to say that I don’t love music as much as ever- I absolutely do.

But obsessing, like a little schoolgirl, talking about how dreamy some group is? Not for me, thanks. 

Maybe I’ve become an old curmudgeon?

(**as he puts on the latest Megadeth for the 317th time and thrashes his thin-haired head around, in joyful release…**)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue J said:

I don’t obsess over any bands anymore. Which isn’t to say that I don’t love music as much as ever- I absolutely do.

But obsessing, like a little schoolgirl, talking about how dreamy some group is? Not for me, thanks. 

Maybe I’ve become an old curmudgeon?

(**as he puts on the latest Megadeth for the 317th time and thrashes his thin-haired head around, in joyful release…**)

Oh same, I just mention bands here that I am "hooked" on. Such as PJ, who I'm currently spinning regularly.

Do I get obsessed? Naaaah. I mean I know the singers name, but anyone else? Nope!

• Like 1

Avenged Sevenfold

Periphery

Between The Buried and me.

Still love A7X. The new album has only grown stronger in my heart, lol

Periphery is a band i'd flirted with for a few years and now have clicked they make that Djent style more workable for me.

as for BTBAM.  i know the band name because Portnoy from DT has always cited them as a fav.  but i wasn't ready, lol.  What an interesting band and one i can say I LOVE the harsh vocals on......gasp.

Only heard like 4 albums and i'm sticking to those for now......but wow.  what a band.

Mick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh same, I just mention bands here that I am "hooked" on. Such as PJ, who I'm currently spinning regularly.

Do I get obsessed? Naaaah. I mean I know the singers name, but anyone else? Nope!

You guys have a point. "Obsess" probably isn't the right word. I just meant bands you're really into at the moment.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Avenged Sevenfold

Periphery

Between The Buried and me.

Still love A7X. The new album has only grown stronger in my heart, lol

Same here. A7X is the best prog band out there right now, IMO. When I first heard Nobody I hated it, hated it, hated it. Now I cannot stop listening to the whole album.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Same here. A7X is the best prog band out there right now, IMO. When I first heard Nobody I hated it, hated it, hated it. Now I cannot stop listening to the whole album.

Absolutly.  I hated it too.  but Hearing the album as a whole knocked me back.  It's maybe my fav thing they ever did.  truly.

The response from the places i've seen has been mostly positive.  With the folks not getting thinking we're crazy.  But among prog heads it's being welcomed with open arms.

Mick

• Like 2

Years ago (after The Stage was released) I brought up A7X in a thread somewhere here and got tarred and feathered and run out on a rail in response. It was exasperating trying to point out to people that never listened to that album (or anything but a couple of radio songs) that this band has serious talent and creates much unique music of a very proggy nature. They take more chances than anyone else I can think of today, now that Radiohead and SOAD seem to have stopped making music.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔Not so many Singing Drummers though I guess ..

Phil Collins, Don Henley, Kelly Keagy, 

Roger Taylor, Ringo, Dave Grohl,

Deen Castnovo ..all instantly spring to mind though 

Levon Helm!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Maybe the best.......If not he's top 3.

Mick

For sure - such a talent.

It really is astonishing that The Band had 3 lead singers...each of whom was just an unbelievable singer.  Most bands don't have one singer that good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timbale said:

For sure - such a talent.

It really is astonishing that The Band had 3 lead singers...each of whom was just an unbelievable singer.  Most bands don't have one singer that good.

My fav was Richard manuel.  that guy was like a white Ray Charles.

Sad he had so many demons.

RIP

Mick

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

My fav was Richard manuel.  that guy was like a white Ray Charles.

Sad he had so many demons.

RIP

Mick

Yeah, by the time of The Last Waltz, he was so inconsistent night to night.  You can find the full night's performance here and there...and a few of the tunes that he sang that didn't make the album/film are pretty awful.  But then, what - 2 weeks before? - they go on SNL and he sings a version of Georgia On My Mind that is breathtaking.  My god.

He was also pretty special in that both his falsetto and full voice were equally amazing.  As you said, when he belted it, he sounded like Ray Charles.  But when he went up into that upper register (Lonesome Suzie, Whispering Pines) it broke your heart in a whole other way.

I'm gonna put on Big Pink now.

8 minutes ago, Timbale said:

Yeah, by the time of The Last Waltz, he was so inconsistent night to night.  You can find the full night's performance here and there...and a few of the tunes that he sang that didn't make the album/film are pretty awful.  But then, what - 2 weeks before? - they go on SNL and he sings a version of Georgia On My Mind that is breathtaking.  My god.

He was also pretty special in that both his falsetto and full voice were equally amazing.  As you said, when he belted it, he sounded like Ray Charles.  But when he went up into that upper register (Lonesome Suzie, Whispering Pines) it broke your heart in a whole other way.

I'm gonna put on Big Pink now.

the first 3 band albums aree all magic for me.

Plus i really like nothern lights southern cross.

underrated gem IMO.

Mick