Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

19 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They were the band that taught me to appreciate full time growling vocals.

Randy is one of the most expressive vocalists in the game, regardless of style. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They were the band that taught me to appreciate full time growling vocals.

Mine was Between the Buried and Me.  But straight after i was like...right.....Lamb of God.

what i like is yes it'ss ALL growled (mostly)  but they still have melodic hooks.

Mick

• Like 2

Still Pearl Jam 

They have always been an important.band for me, but listening to the Redux version of Ten has opened their music up to me even more. I also just straight up love their discography, which after nearly two decades of listening, still has room to grow on me. Yield, Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado and more I love more than ever.

• Like 3

Avenged Sevenfold.

I love them.  Although i've been playing the new one most.  I really do love most of their work.  The exceptions being Nightmare and Hail to the King.  Nightmare is overrated with the Weak link ACTUALLY being one Mike Portnoy.  His drumming style on this record for some reason being life Sucking.

My fav is the new one.......What can i say.

Detractors can tell me till their blue how shit it is but good for you i guess, lol.

Mick

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Avenged Sevenfold.

I love them.  Although i've been playing the new one most.  I really do love most of their work.  The exceptions being Nightmare and Hail to the King.  Nightmare is overrated with the Weak link ACTUALLY being one Mike Portnoy.  His drumming style on this record for some reason being life Sucking.

Detractors can tell me till their blue how shit it is but good for you i guess, lol.

Mick

Mike Portnoy was genuinely shocked they didn't invite him back. I think his presence helped the band in a dark time, but you're right.

Hail To The King is like all "black" albums. You either like it a lot or its just fluff. 

The new album is the polar opposite of what a "comeback" album usually is. I wouldn't change a thing, regardless. Why? Because it's got them exciting people again. Had it been another "Hail" I think A7X would be on a downward spiral. They have no need to ever again "go back to basics".

I'm sure excited for their future.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Avenged Sevenfold- ...Life Is But A Dream

I saw people liken this album to Muse. I don't hear it. What I am embarrassed to admit is that I'm currently hearing the same spark of magic and weirdness that fuelled City Of Evil.

Oops. I'm actually singing along to parts now, it is really fun. Another album it reminds me of: Awake by Dream Theater. And also Blackstones And Diamonds by Machine Head. All these albums are relentless creative and take a lot of time to really absorb.

I don't think this album relaxes on creative energy once. 

Highlights for me, finally:

Nobody

Mattel

Cosmic

Game Over

This album is working up the ranks as well. I'd put it above the first two albums, Nightmare and The Stage. 

Cosmic...that's the song that truly broke the ice for me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I saw people liken this album to Muse. I don't hear it. What I am embarrassed to admit is that I'm currently hearing the same spark of magic and weirdness that fuelled City Of Evil.

Oops. I'm actually singing along to parts now, it is really fun. Another album it reminds me of: Awake by Dream Theater. And also Blackstones And Diamonds by Machine Head. All these albums are relentless creative and take a lot of time to really absorb.

Nobody

Mattel

Cosmic

Game Over

This album is working up the ranks as well. I'd put it above the first two albums, Nightmare and The Stage. 

Cosmic is the best song on the album. No offense but i at least couldn't see how you could shit on any album with Cosmic on it.  That song is......euphoric for me.  and i'm not over statting it.  it legit soothes me.

Maybe my fav A7X song.

Just it's the perfect song title it's like the sky opening up.

Mick

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Cosmic is the best song on the album. No offense but i at least couldn't see how you could shit on any album with Cosmic on it.  That song is......euphoric for me.  and i'm not over statting it.  it legit soothes me.

Maybe my fav A7X song.

Just it's the perfect song title it's like the sky opening up.

Mick

I had a hard night last night. A kid...is in hospital. I spent the night needing to focus and it was unfortunately the perfect moment to write documents and just listen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Nobody

Mattel

Cosmic

Game Over

Cosmic is the musiest one to me. The slow part in the middle gives me Citizen Erased vibes. There are tons of influences here though, and to be extra fair I hear Muse in a lot of things. But I do think the comparison is apt.

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

So is Avenged Sevenfold actually good and it's the songs that the radio plays that are garbage?

i honestly don't fathom how you don't like them.  you love DT Meatloaf, Alice Cooper and other OTT acts so it stuns me A7X isn't up your street, lol

Mick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i honestly don't fathom how you don't like them.  you love DT Meatloaf, Alice Cooper and other OTT acts so it stuns me A7X isn't up your street, lol

Mick

I have never heard those bands in the handful of songs that I know from them. Over the top? Not from what I have heard. More like pretty standard hard rock/metal.

13 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I have never heard those bands in the handful of songs that I know from them. Over the top? Not from what I have heard. More like pretty standard hard rock/metal.

City Of Evil...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

City Of Evil...

A Little Piece Of Heaven is anything but standard metal as well!

• Like 2

A couple good articles on the prog cred that A7X has more than earned.

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/avenged-sevenfold-life-is-but-a-dream-review

https://www.loudersound.com/features/how-avenged-sevenfold-became-the-worlds-least-likely-prog-stars

I honestly cannot think of any other band that has made so much music that cuts through so many genres. Especially now with LIBAD. But the indications were there early when they working with members of Oingo Boingo, fer crissake. And having Portnoy drum on one album. 

Edited by Wandering Hermit
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:17 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Avenged Sevenfold.

Mick

Yes, yes, yes, and more yes. Have not been so excited about a thinking person's band in a long time. I'm still blown away by The Stage and the audacity of the final song, the spaciest thing anyone has written since a little something called Cygnus X-1. But CX1 didn't have Neil deGrasse Tyson doing the spoken parts... 

LIBAD defies categorization as a whole, and many of the songs individually still grab me by the shoulders and shake me and say "Someone actually had the balls to write and release this!" 

I just cannot imagine what my life would have been life if I judged Rush on the basis of New World Man playing on the radio. Would have missed out on so much.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wandering Hermit said:

A couple good articles on the prog cred that A7X has more than earned.

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/avenged-sevenfold-life-is-but-a-dream-review

https://www.loudersound.com/features/how-avenged-sevenfold-became-the-worlds-least-likely-prog-stars

I honestly cannot think of any other band that has made so much music that cuts through so many genres. Especially now with LIBAD. But the indications were there early when they working with members of Oingo Boingo, fer crissake. And having Portnoy drum on one album. 

you know people were so shook by LIBAD i was like uhhhhhh why......the seeds for this this moment/album were planted long ago.  do you guys not pay attention, lol

it's not the out of the out of the blue left turn folks think.  not if you really look over their discography.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Yes, yes, yes, and more yes. Have not been so excited about a thinking person's band in a long time. I'm still blown away by The Stage and the audacity of the final song, the spaciest thing anyone has written since a little something called Cygnus X-1. But CX1 didn't have Neil deGrasse Tyson doing the spoken parts... 

LIBAD defies categorization as a whole, and many of the songs individually still grab me by the shoulders and shake me and say "Someone actually had the balls to write and release this!" 

I just cannot imagine what my life would have been life if I judged Rush on the basis of New World Man playing on the radio. Would have missed out on so much.

But New World Man is a great song. Nothing that I have heard from Avenged Sevenfold on the radio is. How else are people supposed to judge a band? If you hear stuff from them and don't like it are you supposed to try an album instead? Seems pointless if you don't like what you've heard.

I'll give them a chance though given the praise they've been getting here lately. Sounds to me like it could be like Judas Priest where the singles do nothing for me but the albums are where all the good stuff is at.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

A Little Piece Of Heaven is anything but standard metal as well!

The self titled A7X album is pop metal heaven, period! I love that song!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

But New World Man is a great song. Nothing that I have heard from Avenged Sevenfold on the radio is. How else are people supposed to judge a band? If you hear stuff from them and don't like it are you supposed to try an album instead? Seems pointless if you don't like what you've heard.

I'll give them a chance though given the praise they've been getting here lately. Sounds to me like it could be like Judas Priest where the singles do nothing for me but the albums are where all the good stuff is at.

well the first i knew from steely dan was peg from the radio and i always hated it soooooooo this doesn't hold water......for me anyway, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Not obsessing at all but I thought it worth a mention that Olivia Rodrigo put out a new song today and I like it. Seem to recall a few other fans of her debut on here from a couple years ago, wondering what everyone else thinks.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2