Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

It Bites 

( just a bit of info for TRF-ers in the US/Canada who probably haven’t heard of them )

they emerged here in the UK in ‘86 and released 3 pop/prog/melodic hard rock albums before splitting up in ‘90

The band especially Front man Francis Dunnery ( 🎸& vocals ) was heavily influenced by Prog era Genesis plus they merged it with current at the time  modern 80s touches.

Dunnery’s 🎸 playing very influenced by Holdsworth & EVH 😎

check out …

from their ‘86 debut 

‘ I got you … ‘ ( 5mins 38 secs )

‘ turn me loose ‘ ( 4 mins 12 secs )

from ‘88 ( 2nd album ) 

‘ Old Man & the Angel ‘ (9min21 ! )

’ Once Around the World ‘ 

- album’s title track (14m29s !😎)

Superb songs & musicianship.

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:03 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Love it! Cool to see The Works, that one I go back to all the time. Here’s mine, which doesn’t really fluctuate:

1. ANATO

2. QII

3. NOTW

4. SHA

5. Innuendo

Cool choices 👍😎

🤔mine is similar accept I’d swop 

SHA as joint number 2 with QII 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

And ANATO 

ANATO is a really special album man.

Every time someone says it's overrated i'm like.......i'm sure it is......head down it's quiet time:laugh:

Mick

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

ATTW  Has some highlights but you can just hear them go.

"OK pete was one thing......but we lost Steve......WHAT DO WE DO?????!!!!!"

i mean that bleeds through.  it's all the more amazing cause them duke comes and they have their footing.  Duke Is not my fav but the turnaround is still shocking cause phil is all the sudden THE phil Collins on it.  OUTTA NOWHERE!!!!!!

Mick

Agree.

I have always thought that ATTWT is the most...inconsequential Genesis record (of the era that Collins was in the band as drummer and/or singer).  Despite it having one of their biggest early hits...it's somehow like if it didn't exist, it almost wouldn't matter - which I don't think you could say for any other record of theirs.  If Follow You Follow Me had just been a single and the rest of the record wasn't made, the career path would seem to be about the same.  I say that despite just listening to it recently and quite enjoying parts of it.  There are lots of bands I guess that have a bunch of albums, and some are quintessential and some are just "there".  I don't think of Genesis (or Rush, or Pink Floyd, for instance) in that category.... except for this one album. 

But I might just go listen to it again.  😂 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, Timbale said:

Genesis.

Going through some hard times...and a deep dive into their catalogue from 1972 - 1978 or so is just making me feel so much beauty.

My favorite Genesis albums

Wind & Wuthering

Trick of the Tail

SEBTP

Abacab

Foxtrot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mithrandir said:

Wind & Wuthering

Trick of the Tail

SEBTP

Abacab

Foxtrot

Wind & Wuthering often slides into my #1 spot - it is just so rich and lush. So many gorgeous melodies and harmonies, and everyone’s playing is top notch. The only thing that gives it a tiny demerit point for me is All In A Mouse’s Night. I just wish they’d written a different set of lyrics for it - it is a little too cute and twee for me. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Timbale said:

Wind & Wuthering often slides into my #1 spot - it is just so rich and lush. So many gorgeous melodies and harmonies, and everyone’s playing is top notch. The only thing that gives it a tiny demerit point for me is All In A Mouse’s Night. I just wish they’d written a different set of lyrics for it - it is a little too cute and twee for me. 

I enjoy the twee lyrics of that one.  Need some silly stuff.

28 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My Genesis Top 5

Foxtrot

The Lamb

ATOTT

Genesis

SEBTP

Very hard because it shifts fairly regularly, but at the moment I'd go with -

SEBTP

The Lamb

Wind & Wuthering

Foxtrot

ATOTT

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 3:35 PM, Mithrandir said:

Wind & Wuthering

Trick of the Tail

SEBTP

Abacab

Foxtrot

23 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My Genesis Top 5

Foxtrot

The Lamb

ATOTT

Genesis

SEBTP

23 hours ago, Timbale said:

Very hard because it shifts fairly regularly, but at the moment I'd go with -

SEBTP

The Lamb

Wind & Wuthering

Foxtrot

ATOTT

My top three Genesis albums are…

Selling England by the Pound

A Trick of the Tail

….and Then There We’re Three…

to round out for a top 5, I’d add…

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway & Duke.

The last two could / would change by the day and / or mood.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, The Cat 3 said:

david-bowie-black-leather-jacket-400x567.jpg

♫ ♥ ♫  In full David Bowie mode just now!  ♫ ♥ ♫

I just watched Moonage Daydream yesterday; I think I’m in for one too!

• Like 1

Brainstorm 

Heavy metal, riffing is outstanding, drumming is outstanding...played through first two albums and they are really fun.

Led Zeppelin.

Really Truly loving them.  Maybe for the first time ever.  Always liked them.

They were never a love of mine though.

my favs are

II

Houses of the Holy

III

Led Zeppelin

Also Really like in Through the Out Door

only 2 i truly dislike are Presence and Physical Graffiti .  Cause they both are Zep noodling.  and to me it's why i can come close to disliking them and why i always fund them a boring live act.  when they stick to tight songs they're great.  contrary to popular belief....they suck at jamming i'm sorry, lol

Mick

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Led Zeppelin.

my favs are

II

Houses of the Holy

III

Led Zeppelin

only 2 i truly dislike are Presence and Physical Graffiti .  Cause they both are Zep noodling.  and to me it's why i can come close to disliking them and why i always fund them a boring live act.  when they stick to tight songs they're great.  contrary to popular belief....they suck at jamming i'm sorry, lol

Mick

I know pointless jamming was the thing back then during concerts but I was never a fan of it. I don't mind a little solo like Neil used to do but in the time it took a band to pointlessly noodle around they could have played three more songs. Perhaps people didn't mind back then but I go to concerts to see a band play their songs not to watch them dick around with their instrument for 20 minutes. I'm glad that kind of thing is pretty much gone from live shows today.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I know pointless jamming was the thing back then during concerts but I was never a fan of it. I don't mind a little solo like Neil used to do but in the time it took a band to pointlessly noodle around they could have played three more songs. Perhaps people didn't mind back then but I go to concerts to see a band play their songs not to watch them dick around with their instrument for 20 minutes. I'm glad that kind of thing is pretty much gone from live shows today.

Plus think of the drugs EVERYONE was on.  Page became a heroin shooter at one point and it made him not remember what solos went where and it made the jamming worse if possible.

Mick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat 3 said:

What did you think of the "Moonage Daydream" film?

Well my audio quality was terrible cuz I was watching on a plane, but it was inspiring!

45 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well my audio quality was terrible cuz I was watching on a plane, but it was inspiring!

I waited and waited for it to finally come out and was a bit perplexed by it...

...I just picked up the Blu-ray and am going to give it a concentrated viewing as perhaps I wasn't in the right mood when I first saw it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Led Zeppelin.

my favs are

II

Houses of the Holy

III

Led Zeppelin

Mick

For me, Zep has been so...wrung out by classic rock radio, that I went a long while without listening to them at all.  But...I do find remembering that they were an ALBUMS band, not some group with 6 or 8 song played in endless rotation, is useful.  They went lots of different places on the records - places that Rock And Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker etc don't show you.

I find Houses Of The Holy to be just about a perfect record.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timbale said:

For me, Zep has been so...wrung out by classic rock radio, that I went a long while without listening to them at all.  But...I do find remembering that they were an ALBUMS band, not some group with 6 or 8 song played in endless rotation, is useful.  They went lots of different places on the records - places that Rock And Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker etc don't show you.

houses Is my fav.  And that record really streched their sound a bit.  and i love every song.  Yes even  D'yer Mak'er and The Crunge, lol

Mick

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Timbale said:

After I stopped regularly listening to radio over a decade ago, it gave me a nice long break from bands like Zeppelin that got endless rotation. It was probably a couple years before I listened to them again and it was nice to hear all of those overplayed songs "fresh" again. Well, as fresh as they could be since I had grown up endlessly hearing them on the radio. But it was nice to hear songs like Stairway and Kashmir along with many others and not just have a meh reaction to them. I was able to appreciate the songs and how great they truly are again.

• Like 4