Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

After I stopped regularly listening to radio over a decade ago, it gave me a nice long break from bands like Zeppelin that got endless rotation. It was probably a couple years before I listened to them again and it was nice to hear all of those overplayed songs "fresh" again. Well, as fresh as they could be since I had grown up endlessly hearing them on the radio. But it was nice to hear songs like Stairway and Kashmir along with many others and not just have a meh reaction to them. I was able to appreciate the songs and how great they truly are again.

:goodone: Well said.

Anthrax and Iced Earth

I've also been enjoying a lot of Rhapsody Of Fire, but less albums, more their epic songs.

• Like 2

QOTSA

Also been watching a lot of King Crimson live footage recently. Belew is such a good stage presence and watching him make sounds with his guitar is just fun - well, watching anyone in that band is fun. 

• Like 3

I started listening to Iced Earth again for the first time since all the stuff with Jon Schaefer went down. It hasn't affected my love for the music at all. It's still there as strong as it ever was. In the end, Jon could have done worse things than being part of the idiot mob that stormed the capital building. He did a dumb thing but it's an action that's forgivable in my eyes.

9 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I started listening to Iced Earth again for the first time since all the stuff with Jon Schaefer went down. It hasn't affected my love for the music at all. It's still there as strong as it ever was. In the end, Jon could have done worse things than being part of the idiot mob that stormed the capital building. He did a dumb thing but it's an action that's forgivable in my eyes.

I was honestly delighted in my most recent binge. Many musicians have done far worse. It's just he comes off such an ass-hat it can kinda put someone off giving them a try.

However I loved the music way before I was on social media or knew anything about the band other than the odd mention in music magazines. Nothing has changed.

One of the best discographies in US metal history. 

• Like 2

Haken.

Haven't posted in a few days but it's been all this band.

Mainly the first 4 it's my fav group of albums they've done.  Cause it's closer to classic prog.  I don't like that the "metaled" up their sound going forward.

i'm fine with Prog metal but it's not why i loved Haken.  love their early quirkier albums more.  have not heard the new one so can't speak on it.

Mick

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Haken.

Haven't posted in a few days but it's been all this band.

Mainly the first 4 it's my fav group of albums they've done.  Cause it's closer to classic prog.  I don't like that the "metaled" up their sound going forward.

i'm fine with Prog metal but it's not why i loved Haken.  love their early quirkier albums more.  have not heard the new one so can't speak on it.

Mick

The new one is great. Not as metal as the last few albums. Definitely more quirkier Haken.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

The new one is great. Not as metal as the last few albums. Definitely more quirkier Haken.

good because wasn't a fan of the last 2.  much to0 Djent-y for my tastes.  they had their moments.  but like........i miss the fun playful quirks.

Having said that Affinity is my fav......with the 80's vibe......oh man, lol so cool.

Mick

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 8:27 PM, J2112YYZ said:

I just torrent music by flat out jerks instead of paying.  I got a lot of Smiths and Morrissey in my Google Drive because screw that Weinstein and Spacey defending racist wanker.  That was my final straw with him and most of his current stuff after Vauxhall is meh anyways.  He's even become the new Axl Rose for cancelling his concerts for whiny reasons.  Elvis Costello, far from a saint as well, was right about his great song title hats with no song cattle.  I just mostly listen for Johnny Marr's guitar playing.

I'm getting back into Leonard Cohen lately for some really good comfort music especially his post 90s works from Ten New Songs to his posthumous album.  I'm considering My Morning Jacket binging this weekend on Qobuz as well.  I streamed them a few times and loved what I heard.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, invisible airwave said:

I just torrent music by flat out jerks instead of paying.  I got a lot of Smiths and Morrissey in my Google Drive because screw that Weinstein and Spacey loving racist wanker.  That was my final straw with him and most of his current stuff after Vauxhall is meh anyways.  Elvis Costello, far from a saint as well, was right about his great song title hats with no song cattle.

I have been a fan of Iced Earth for many years and own all their albums. So, Jon Schaefer already got my money long before it was confirmed he was an asshat. Even though I think a lot of fans were aware of his political views through interviews and some song lyrics long before he did anything. It was a dumb thing to do. His career is over, the band name he spent over 30 years building is tainted now and even though he is cooperating with police and naming names to get a lighter sentence he will probably be in his 60s before he's a free man again and nobody in the metal world will touch him. It's the worse decision he could have made for himself but it's far from the worse thing a musician has done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I have been a fan of Iced Earth for many years and own all their albums. So, Jon Schaefer already got my money long before it was confirmed he was an asshat. Even though I think a lot of fans were aware of his political views through interviews and some song lyrics long before he did anything. It was a dumb thing to do. His career is over, the band name he spent over 30 years building is tainted now and even though he is cooperating with police and naming names to get a lighter sentence he will probably be in his 60s before he's a free man again and nobody in the metal world will touch him. It's the worse decision he could have made for himself but it's far from the worse thing a musician has done.

Yeah I bought most of their music second hand, so he got very little from me.

I do want to get his Demons and Wizards albums soon. I love them, and I see it as me supporting the singer from BG as well.

Rush

Prince

Rush is a very obsession pending type of deal really. I'm enjying but it's deleberatly slow.  Pick an album (Preferably in the 70's or 80's period.  Staying FAR away from later Rush for now) Let it sink in a bit then move on.  it's a getting to know old friends again sort  of deal.

But Prince.....that's actually the real developing Obsession. i watched a girl on youtube react to a bunch of him.  i was hell yea.  i want to get in on that. Prince is maybe my fav 80's pop artist.  his run from like 80-88 is unmatched in 80's pop IMO. (Sorry MJ you were too piece meal. Even in your hit albums)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Rush

Prince

Rush is a very obsession pending type of deal really. I'm enjying but it's deleberatly slow.  Pick an album (Preferably in the 70's or 80's period.  Staying FAR away from later Rush for now) Let it sink in a bit then move on.  it's a getting to know old friends again sort  of deal.

But Prince.....that's actually the real developing Obsession. i watched a girl on youtube react to a bunch of him.  i was hell yea.  i want to get in on that. Prince is maybe my fav 80's pop artist.  his run from like 80-88 is unmatched (Sorry MJ you were too piece meal. Even in your hit albums)

Mick

Finally!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My current obsession is Copeland. I love their albums, they are really soulful.

I've cooled on Rush a bit so far this year. If a song comes up on a playlist I won't skip it, but I won't seek them out. I imagine that'll change when Geddy's book comes out. 

Instead I've been deep into stoner metal and gothic country. Slim Cessna's Auto Club is the right kind of weird for me lately. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I've cooled on Rush a bit so far this year. If a song comes up on a playlist I won't skip it, but I won't seek them out. I imagine that'll change when Geddy's book comes out. 

Instead I've been deep into stoner metal and gothic country. Slim Cessna's Auto Club is the right kind of weird for me lately. 

i'm enjoying my revisit but......and this is just so far.  Still not a mega fav band.

But i Appreciate them again.  and there's a difference between not beig a fav and appreciation.

Mick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm enjoying my revisit but......and this is just so far.  Still not a mega fav band.

But i Appreciate them again.  and there's a difference between not beig a fav and appreciation.

Mick

Its so cool that you’re well on the road again now to rekindling your love of :rush:

Since I first got into Rush in ‘85

( you probably weren’t even born Mick 

or maybe were very young :LOL: )

I only during the past 38 years temporarily lost interest in their music between 2002 when they released Vapor Trails ( even now I rarely make it past the 3 tracks ! 🙃.. just too much of a din.. not enough : solos, time signature changes, light & shade, techical proficiency .. and the big one for me Melody ! ) 

and it was Snakes & Arrows in ‘07 which drew me back in again 🙂

37 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Did you get burned out or did your fandom sort of fade away? They're still my undisputed favorite. But I'm very cool on listening to them atm

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Did you get burned out or did your fandom sort of fade away? They're still my undisputed favorite. But I'm very cool on listening to them atm

it was a combo of burnout and i moved on to bands that eclipsed them for me

Mick