What's the weather like right now?

jamie

I am in north central Washington and it is 110 at 7pm. Hot! Yesterday, at 1:30am as we drove through Pendleton Oregon it was still 94 degrees.

Ending a 9 day motorcycle trip.......hot af everywhere except San Diego right near the water, San Francisco (foggy and 55 Sunday morning) and Eureka, Ca (same as Frisco). 105 in Red Bluff at 11:30 AM, 95 in Reno, 100 in Adelanto, CA at noon, 105 in Bishop, CA and so on......Only relief out west right now is right near the ocean or high in the mountains (Sonora Pass, elevation 9500 ft. was quite comfortable).

Looks like the western side of the Cascades here in the NW is tolerable.

• Like 1

It's not a good sign when it is already 91 at 9:00 AM.

Supposed to be 110 today.

Yay

Crazy :wacko: Heard lots of places in Northwest are running out of air conditioners, fans. A friend who has a cattery in Portland is using an old method of keeping cool, freeze a block of ice and then stand it up in a pan in front of a fan. Says it helps a bit.

They ran out a few days ago. As soon as the people here got wind of what was in store for them, they bought all the stores out of their fan/air conditioner stock/

We tried the block of ice/fan bit in the 90s. It doesn't work.

We had one of those little table top coolers that you pour water in and it acts like a small swamp cooler. they don't put out much cool air but it was good for about 20 minutes. If you just had a pan of water that the fan could blow over it might provide some relief. We use a swamp cooler but the pads dry out in this 100 degree heat so I go outside and wet them down a couple of times a day.

We have had almost 10 days of triple digit temperatures. I have never seen anything like this, it is horrible. My neighbors are pissing me off, they are running their sprinklers every day. We are only supposed to water twice a week and my lawn is brown, just keeping the trees alive. Tempted to file a complaint with the water department. Read an article about this yesterday in our local paper, 167 complaints total for last year, this year 5,540 complaints, a 3,200% spike. It has bothered me for years how the apartment complex near us has the sprinklers watering the damn sidewalk and when it rains the stupid sprinklers still comes on. We are just in denial, we live in a desert and we should stop acting like water is in limitless supply...ok sorry for the rant.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

It`s been raining a lot over the last week, which has made digging and weeding easier. The forecast for the next week is 73, 74, 75, no rain, just a gentle breeze.... it`s actually warmer than I like. I think I would literally melt if I was in the Midwest.
  • Like 1

It's not a good sign when it is already 91 at 9:00 AM.

Supposed to be 110 today.

Yay

Crazy :wacko: Heard lots of places in Northwest are running out of air conditioners, fans. A friend who has a cattery in Portland is using an old method of keeping cool, freeze a block of ice and then stand it up in a pan in front of a fan. Says it helps a bit.

They ran out a few days ago. As soon as the people here got wind of what was in store for them, they bought all the stores out of their fan/air conditioner stock/

We tried the block of ice/fan bit in the 90s. It doesn't work.

We had one of those little table top coolers that you pour water in and it acts like a small swamp cooler. they don't put out much cool air but it was good for about 20 minutes. If you just had a pan of water that the fan could blow over it might provide some relief. We use a swamp cooler but the pads dry out in this 100 degree heat so I go outside and wet them down a couple of times a day.

We have had almost 10 days of triple digit temperatures. I have never seen anything like this, it is horrible. My neighbors are pissing me off, they are running their sprinklers every day. We are only supposed to water twice a week and my lawn is brown, just keeping the trees alive. Tempted to file a complaint with the water department. Read an article about this yesterday in our local paper, 167 complaints total for last year, this year 5,540 complaints, a 3,200% spike. It has bothered me for years how the apartment complex near us has the sprinklers watering the damn sidewalk and when it rains the stupid sprinklers still comes on. We are just in denial, we live in a desert and we should stop acting like water is in limitless supply...ok sorry for the rant.

This the worst summer we've ever had too. The hottest for sure. I am not a summer person anyway.

• Like 2

31 C (~ 88 F) in my home town up here in Scandinavia. In some parts of the country where I live this is the 27th day of temperatures reaching 25 C (~ 77 F) or more in a row.
  • Like 2

We've been between 79 and 84 with sun for a week and the same is the forecast for another 10 days. Eat your heart out the rest of planet earth.

Oh and we deserve it after the 116 a few weeks back.

Cloudy, 19 C (66 F), some wind. After a month's heat wave this feels like autumn. We'd sure need rain acutely, but there is none in sight in weeks (?) to come.
  • Like 1

Besides the lung-irritating smoke and mass evacuations from a massive wildfire that resulted from a lightning-ignited tree that went ignore for ten days while it smoldered?

A few degrees cooler. Thanks for asking.

Besides the lung-irritating smoke and mass evacuations from a massive wildfire that resulted from a lightning-ignited tree that went ignore for ten days while it smoldered?

Update: Before a wildfire grew into an out-of-control blaze, the Forest Service decided to let it burn

Despite the Forest Service's statement...that the fire "poses no threat to the public, infrastructure or resource values," the wildfire has since gone on to scorch 58,417 acres and at least 10 structures in California and Nevada. As of Friday afternoon (July 23), it was only 4% contained, with more than a thousand firefighting personnel on scene.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/23/us/california-tamarack-fire-burn/index.html

Update: Before a wildfire grew into an out-of-control blaze, the Forest Service decided to let it burn

Despite the Forest Service's statement...that the fire "poses no threat to the public, infrastructure or resource values," the wildfire has since gone on to scorch 58,417 acres and at least 10 structures in California and Nevada. As of Friday afternoon (July 23), it was only 4% contained, with more than a thousand firefighting personnel on scene.

https://www.cnn.com/...burn/index.html

• Like 1

5.6 inches of rain fell on La Crosse, WI yesterday. A new all-time one-day record. :o

Luckily for me, I live on higher ground just north of La Crosse, and I live on a hill. No floods here!

• Like 1

It's cream of humid soup here at least until Saturday. I wish I could sop it up with a towel and wring it out over CA.

Still 93 degrees at 9:29 pm. f**k that.

As you likely know, we're finally getting a break starting today and not supposed to see any more 90s for the foreseeable future. Hope you have central air. It made this summer more bearable.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2