Which Is Your Favourite...The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Quadrophenia or The Wall?

The Cat 3

Which Is Your Favourite - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Quadrophenia or The Wall?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Your Favourite - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Quadrophenia or The Wall?

• Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    • The Who - Quadrophenia
    • Pink Floyd - The Wall

Segs, I have been a Genesis fan since I first heard Misunderstanding in 1980. Thats about 5 years before I got into Rush and about 5 years before I even knew what Progressive Rock was. Been a fan of both, basically ever since.

And of course Another Brick was a HUGE song around the same time. That would have made me about 7 years old. Parents owned the Wall album and I used to stare at the inside cover and read they lyrics for hours just devouring it.

At this current time, Pink Floyd and Queen are two bands where I like aspects of their sound or catalogue more than the band themselves.

The Who do nothing for me. This isn't me trying to say they are undeserving of their success and reputation, Quadrophenia really seems to affect and move listeners deeply.

Also, it is worth reminding everyone that these three bands were always present in my background. I gravitated towards The Beatles, The Kinks, The Doors, ABBA and Fleetwood Mac so I know at least some of the context of these bands.

But Genesis, on the other hand, struck me as something very unique. Blue J introduced me too them, and alongside Yes and King's X, they are one of those precious few bands that challenge my "patience" in a way that I enjoy music.

I never really grasp hold of all I am listening too. Instead, every time I return the music feels new, and I never find myself thinking "I know this inside out". So I suspect Genesis prog era will follow Yes to become a slow burning obsession.

Granted, I have given Yes a lot more time and patience. But that is because when I was introduced to Genesis I was in full Yes hysteria, and wasn't ready for anything else remotely similar (I put Jethro Tull and King Crimson on the back burner as well, and I enjoyed them very much).

Lately I have been enjoying complex music again after months of lighter fare.

I think it is time for another stab at listening to Genesis! The album I most enjoyed was Trespass.

• Like 3

I still Go with Lamb but i just listened to it and man does it fall apart with disc 2.

but disc 1 is great.

Mick

I love those interludes. Have you heard the live version of The Waiting Room that segues (ahem) directly into Wot Gorilla? I think it goes Lilith>TWR>Wot. They may have only played it once. Its bad ass.

The last couple of tracks are amazing though.

Edited by Digital Dad

THE WALL IS A SUPERB ALBUM !

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY IS A SUPERB ALBUM !

HOWEVER THE LAMB CONTAINS TWO OF MY FAVOURITE GENESIS TRACKS, IN THE CAGE,AND THE LAMIA.

"LOOKING BEHIND ME THE WATER TURNS ICY BLUE,

THE LIGHTS ARE DIMMED AND ONCE AGAIN THE STAGE IS SET FOR YOU"

THE LAMB GETS MY VOTE,JUST!

• Like 1

So, which of these three great albums is your favourite?

Share your thoughts on the album(s) and the reason for your choice.

I confess..I can't quite decide which is tops for me.

The_Lamb_Lies_Down_on_Broadway.jpg

Quadrophenia_%28album%29.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AWBMGft3L._SY300_.jpg

Wow!

I should take more time off! LOL!

Incredible poll!

I have to go QUAD

• Like 1

Replayed a bit of Quadrophenia...it's grown on me a little.

When I have time I will play it through with the lyrics in front of me.

For me, Quadrophenia beats the other two hands down. It's the total package. Such a visual experience in the lyrics. Lots of good memories sitting and listening to it while looking through that huge insert book that came with the album.
  • Like 3

A bit like picking a favoured son or daughter.

Jesus, that is tough.

I've known The Wall since my teens & the other two since my 20s. My love for all 3 has not dimmed a watt.

:goodone: Well said...I started this thread a couple of days ago and still can't decide! :huh:

• Like 1

Quadrophenia

The Wall

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Why? Who here really cares?

:banana:

Tough one for me but...

Right off the bat, The Wall was #3 for me. Then I said, if I could only listen to only Quadrophenia or Lamb for the rest of my life, the winner is...

1. Quadrophenia
  2. Lamb
  3. Wall

• Like 2

After much thought, I went with "Quadrophenia". each album has a central character who really dealing with some heavy emotional issues. In the end, I could relate with Jimmy's plight over that of Rael or Pink. Not an easy choice as they are three of my favourite albums. Great posts and thoughts everyone.

Interesting I skipped over this thread so long ago. No doubt in my mind these are three incredible albums, but The Wall falls a bit short for me. Not for any reason I can pinpoint, it's just not my preferred flavor of prog double concept album.

The remaining two are nearly impossible to choose between. Quadrophenia has long been in the running for my second favorite album of all time, but in the past few years The Lamb has become one of my favorite things about one of my favorite bands, Genesis. Certainly if we were counting down my favorite double albums these would be the top two. But what order....

Okay, the fact that I'm in the middle of it right now is probably swaying my opinion hard, but my vote goes to The Lamb.