Caress of Steel

prolix

Speaking of tracks on Caress, or specifically Fountain of Lamneth, I really like Geddy's vocal tone on Panacea. He had a different vocal color in their earlier stuff.

I don't really like Caress of Steel otherwise, though. I can appreciate the transitional importance of it and some individual moments but ultimately I like it about as much as Myles likes Signals.

Give me back my wonder.. It amazes me how young they were when they recorded Caress of Steel. I love this album like my leather jacket from college I still wear sometimes. It's cheesy and seems dated but fits perfect.

I like cheese on my hamburger. But yes, to my ears this album is PERFECT.

Fukk the Haters and Fukk Mercury Records.

Every note is perfect.

People on here who call themselves Rush fans love to rip "I Think I'm Going Bald." Typical. Broken Record Alert!!! They wrote it for homage to "Goin' Blind" by KISS.

It's a fun song with a killer riff and an amazing guitar solo.

I just don't get the average Rush fan.

What a bore.

CARESS OF STEEL!!!!

Perhaps you pussies would rather listen to "FEEL THE STEEL" by STEEL PANTHER!!

You can hate me it's ok.

"DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!"

http://guitarinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Steel-Panther-Feel-the-Steel.jpg

Doesn't seem real despite knowing it is.

"Scream out desperation

But no one cares to hear"

FUKK YES BLAZE!!!

FEEL MY STEEL

STEAL MY FEEL

SEAL THE DEAL

PEEL ME RON KEEL

WOMEN IN TEAL

REEL IN HIGH HEEL

SUCK ON THIS

FUKK THE KISS

CHUCK THIS MISS

PLUCK THE HISS

HUCK FINN SHARK

LAKESIDE PARK

RUSH IS THE CANCER

AMEN TO STEEL PANTHER

Next to Moving Pictures, CO Steel has my favourite drum sound... those Slingerland drums were so good. They actually sounded like... good quality, acoustic drums. During Lakeside Park, when Neil plays those fills after the first section... those five stroke rolls just come tumbling down. Incredible.
  • Like 1

Give me back my wonder.. It amazes me how young they were when they recorded Caress of Steel. I love this album like my leather jacket from college I still wear sometimes. It's cheesy and seems dated but fits perfect.

Every note is perfect.

People on here who call themselves Rush fans love to rip "I Think I'm Going Bald." Typical. Broken Record Alert!!! They wrote it for homage to "Goin' Blind" by KISS.

What a bore.

CARESS OF STEEL!!!!

You can hate me it's ok.

http://guitarinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Steel-Panther-Feel-the-Steel.jpg

"Scream out desperation

that Steel panther pic is hilarious! Looks like Mötley Crue mixed with poison.
  • Like 2

I don't really like Caress of Steel yet. I just need to listen to it more.

Maybe.

But maybe you've listened enough and you just don't like it. Nothing wrong with that.

I've beaten Roll The Bones into the ground (listened to it heavily, that is) and I still dislike it overall.

Every note is perfect.

What a bore.

CARESS OF STEEL!!!!

You can hate me it's ok.

"Scream out desperation

that Steel panther pic is hilarious! Looks like Mötley Crue mixed with poison.

It's a poisonous, motley blend of garbage, muck, and crap!

Caress of Steel is a beautiful, nuanced, innocent rock record. And that's what the record explores - innocence slipping away, new adventures and charting the course on your own.

One of the greatest heavy rock albums of all time - lean, powerful, sincere, stoney…perfect. It's really not bloated or self involved at all, not more than any other solid rock record. It's just way different. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are fantastic songs on their own.

Lamneth is a masterpiece too. No wonder they revisited COS with their final album.

• Like 3

Next to Moving Pictures, CO Steel has my favourite drum sound... those Slingerland drums were so good. They actually sounded like... good quality, acoustic drums. During Lakeside Park, when Neil plays those fills after the first section... those five stroke rolls just come tumbling down. Incredible.

Yes.

Caress of Steel is a beautiful, nuanced, innocent rock record. And that's what the record explores - innocence slipping away, new adventures and charting the course on your own.

One of the greatest heavy rock albums of all time - lean, powerful, sincere, stoney…perfect. It's really not bloated or self involved at all, not more than any other solid rock record. It's just way different. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are fantastic songs on their own.

Lamneth is a masterpiece too. No wonder they revisited COS with their final album.

Great post.
  • Like 1

THIS ALBUM IS A MASTERPIECE

Although I think I now enjoy Fly By Night even more...

I bought this album (on cassette) in the mid 80s after getting totally hooked on the band and happened to get one of those cassettes where the song order was screwed up and had no reference to "Fountain of Lamneth", so I actually didn't even know there was a theme to the album.

When I heard people talk about "Fountain of Lamneth" I was always like "huh?" I

thought there was a canonical era side length epic I'd somehow never heard.

A friend was shocked I'd never heard Fountain of Lamneth and played it for me and I immediately recognized it as Caress of Steel.

Oh well. No lost side length epic.

As for the album, I like it but think it's the worst of their 70s output.

Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are classics in my opinion. I like Bachus Plateau. I love Alex's shredding guitar solo in the Necromancer.

But much of the album doesn't do much for me.

I like it but think the debut and FBN are much better.

What? I thought you didn't like FBN?

For ages I thought it was rubbish. But after getting into a lot of early seventies rock bands, when I came to revisit FBN, I loved it! I am finding over time appreciate every Rush album more and more on some level. FBN went from bottom to top. Love it. Every note.

• Like 3

What? I thought you didn't like FBN?

For ages I thought it was rubbish. But after getting into a lot of early seventies rock bands, when I came to revisit FBN, I loved it! I am finding over time appreciate every Rush album more and more on some level. FBN went from bottom to top. Love it. Every note.

FBN and COS are equally great to me. :)

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

Some of the later Rush albums required multiple listens to like, but CoS I enjoyed right from the off. The meaty riffs in Bastille Day and Lakeside Park, the insane solos in The Necromancer and Neil's drum solo in Fountain of Lamneth. It's like they expanded on Rivendell from FBN and then some. It's not their best album but I prefer it to Hold Your Fire!

I had an epiphany about Caress of Steel this past weekend. I already loved it before...but I now hear it on a completely different level than I ever did before; ever since I first bought it, in 1987. It completely draws me in, to the time and place that it was for the band. Brilliant and dark, stunning and bold. What an incredible album it is.

After finally taking some time to finally dissect The Lyrics of Lamneth, it made the song even better than it already was. Truly one of Rush's greatest, Didacts and Narpets is really strange but it makes me love it, something about Ged's vocals just sound like a rebellious teenager.

Man just thinking about it gives me chills, absolutely incredible album from start to finish, Bastille Day is easily one of their best hard rock-Zepplin inspired songs.

• Like 1

In my honest opinion, Rush's second greatest album of the seventies.

Near flawless. Sorry I don't dig the muffled spoken work parts of The Necromancer but I love the rest of the song enough to not be truly let down.

First time I played CoS I had just blindly put the disc in the player and gave it a listen.

I had problems with Geddy's voice for ages and I used to struggle with the lyrics.

You cannot imagine how much I laughed at the awesome chorus to "I Think I'm Growing Balls".

I was bitterly disappointed to stand corrected but I do still love that song.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2