Caress of Steel

prolix

I would like to know your thoughts on the album as a whole. I think its pretty solid until you get to The Fountain of Lamneth. I try to listen to it and enjoy but it always puts me to sleep. :unsure:

Every fuckking note of "Caress Of Steel" is perfect.

I love all of you Rush fans who hate this record. Hilarious.

Mercury Records almost dropped Rush because of this piece of shit record.

I love it all!!

I'm a piece of shit too!

I would like to know your thoughts on the album as a whole. I think its pretty solid until you get to The Fountain of Lamneth. I try to listen to it and enjoy but it always puts me to sleep. :unsure:

I love it all!!

I'm a piece of shit too!

Meh, I don't hate it, but it's not one I really ever pull out to listen to.

I love it all!!

I'm a piece of shit too!

I am shocked by this.

I consider you a very cerebral cool cat man. A friend. But hey "Different Strokes" man.

Signed,

Gary Coleman

:)

I've loved this album since I first heard it. I was always of the opinion that it was remarkably strong and captivating, and certainly nowhere near the "weakest" of their catalogue. Then I joined TRF and, in a moment of naïveté, was surprised by the disparity in folks' opinions of this one :16ton:
  • Like 6

Caress is a dark masterpiece.

Despite the levity and the reflection of I Think I'm Going Bald and Lakeside Park, respectively, it's a serious, almost menacing record.

I don't listen to it often, but I do love it.

• Like 3

I love it all!!

I'm a piece of shit too!

I am shocked by this.

I consider you a very cerebral cool cat man. A friend. But hey "Different Strokes" man.

Signed,

Gary Coleman

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/2748/963c3a70c0cb4a30af4adccfe9cb2263.gif

• Like 1

True perfection from beginning to end, still not sure why people hate this, but like 2112, very similar to me.

Don't think I've ever read anyone on TRF saying directly that they "hate" this album.

I guess I haven't made myself clear enough, then. :P

No, really…I can't stand CoS. I love Bastille Day, but the rest of the album is subpar, at best.

• Like 2

Dynamic record, love everything about it. Rush at their heaviest (Necromancer), Tolkianest (same), Proggie/Yesest (Fountain), sentimentalest (Lakeside), silliest (ITIGB), and great riffage (BD/ITIGB/Necro). Love the graphics and album cover illustrations and lastly, I love its' underdog status and the deep mysteries like "did they ever play TFOL live (answer: yes!)
  • Like 3

FOL always makes me laugh in parts because it sounds as if Alex is playing his guitar with every ounce of energy he has.

Dynamic record, love everything about it. Rush at their heaviest (Necromancer), Tolkianest (same), Proggie/Yesest (Fountain), sentimentalest (Lakeside), silliest (ITIGB), and great riffage (BD/ITIGB/Necro). Love the graphics and album cover illustrations and lastly, I love its' underdog status and the deep mysteries like "did they ever play TFOL live (answer: yes!)

When and where? I've looked on my boots but didn't see any. Maybe I missed it.

FOL always makes me laugh in parts because it sounds as if Alex is playing his guitar with every ounce of energy he has.

When and where? I've looked on my boots but didn't see any. Maybe I missed it.

You did not miss anything - there are no recordings of TFOL played live (or a COS headliner show - but you already knew that). My slightly tongue-in-cheek declaration of TFOL being played live comes from me connecting dots and assuming the author is accurate

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/93393-perhaps-they-did-play-the-fountain-of-lamneth/

read closely and carefully, the clue is in there

• Like 1

yeah TFOL a masterpiece as is Caress of Steel in general but made me laugh when Al said they went to see Yes during recording and didn't wanna finish the album afterwards. High praise indeed
  • Like 1

I rarely listen to Caress of Steel.

I think of it as a really rough draft for the excellence that followed.e

I agree with this.It has some awkward moments like the narration in The Necromancer.Fountain seems like a bunch of great ideas just waiting for a better rewrite and production.But overall it has that odd,quirky early 70s album feel.I think it may have been the fifth or sixth Rush lp I bought ,maybe after Moving Pictures,and feeling slightly deflated.Anyway great lp with a great cover and a bold move.

I love it all!!

I'm a piece of shit too!

I am shocked by this.

Signed,

Gary Coleman

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/2748/963c3a70c0cb4a30af4adccfe9cb2263.gif

Hahaha!!! Priceless!

• Like 1

True perfection from beginning to end, still not sure why people hate this, but like 2112, very similar to me.

Don't think I've ever read anyone on TRF saying directly that they "hate" this album.

I guess I haven't made myself clear enough, then. :P

No, really…I can't stand CoS. I love Bastille Day, but the rest of the album is subpar, at best.

:LOL:

... and Geddy is at his emotional best vocally on No One At The Bridge

the most underrated piece of Rush music ever .. an absolute gem

I totally agree, and Alex solo? woooow that solo is hypnotic, just sooo beautiful.... also the album itself is perfect

• Like 1

For me, the only things that work on this album are Bastille Day and Lakeside Park.

I Think I'm Going Bald is goofy and very unintentionally mismatched with the lyrics and tone. It's either demandingly goofy or assuredly self-conscious. The exact same problem a tune like Dog Years had. Seems like when the guys have something a little tongue-in-cheek, they try to over compensate with very aggressive rock. And the music's good. The lyrics just don't match.

I don't prefer the fictional story telling side of Rush so much. So The Necromancer just is cheese to me. It has it's musical moments, but the lyrics about some very, very, very obviously Tolkien flight-of-geek story. It just seems... too much for me.

The Fountain of Lamneth is a disorganize jumble of nonsense to me.

Now, these are just my opinions and interpretations. Music is subjective.

For me, the only things that work on this album are Bastille Day and Lakeside Park.

I Think I'm Going Bald is goofy and very unintentionally mismatched with the lyrics and tone. It's either demandingly goofy or assuredly self-conscious. The exact same problem a tune like Dog Years had. Seems like when the guys have something a little tongue-in-cheek, they try to over compensate with very aggressive rock. And the music's good. The lyrics just don't match.

I don't prefer the fictional story telling side of Rush so much. So The Necromancer just is cheese to me. It has it's musical moments, but the lyrics about some very, very, very obviously Tolkien flight-of-geek story. It just seems... too much for me.

I think "I Think I'm Going Bald" succeeded were "Dog Years" failed.

• Like 1

I think "I Think I'm Going Bald" succeeded were "Dog Years" failed.

And I enjoy both. So there it is.

:musicnote: subjective :musicnote:

CoS is pure gold to me but then again I'm a REAL Rush fan ;)

One thing just occured to me though, I don't believe I've ever heard an explanation of where the title 'Caress of Steel' came from and what it means..?

• Like 1

CoS is pure gold to me but then again I'm a REAL Rush fan ;)

One thing just occured to me though, I don't believe I've ever heard an explanation of where the title 'Caress of Steel' came from and what it means..?

What, besides being an oft-used phrase that brings up the provocative image of a cutting sword, it also refers to the strumming of guitar strings. So you get a title that contrasts the heavy metal power chords and the gentle arpeggios that appear on the album.

One reason I love the album...the tone and contrast of the guitar parts.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1